I don't have much of a support system :(

Options
My name is Miranda. I like to think of myself as a strong and independent woman, but there are days where I wish I had someone to talk to or vent to. Sometimes I just need support and positive reinforcement from others. I've cleaned out a lot of of so-called friends from my life because they were just too negative and some even told me I would never reach any of my goals. Advice and/or friends would be much appreciated.

Replies

• CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Hi! I don't mean to rain on your parade but I took a look at your profile and a 95lb goal is pretty low for most people, unless you're very short. Were your former friends expressing concern? Feel free to message me if you want to chat
  • byusuri
    byusuri Posts: 2,757 Member
    Options
    Hi Miranda. You'll find plenty of support on MFP. I have. And, I'd love to help keep things positive for you.
  • MrsMizart
    MrsMizart Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Loads of support here m'duck! So long as yours goals are healthy then you'll have support by the bucket load :-)
  • stevesample76
    stevesample76 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    More times than not, all that negativity from friends and family is due to your healthy choices making them uncomfortable about their unhealthy lifestyle. Tune out the noise and focus on you!
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    TiaBia9 wrote: »
    Hi! I don't mean to rain on your parade but I took a look at your profile and a 95lb goal is pretty low for most people, unless you're very short. Were your former friends expressing concern?
    I'll echo this. Is your goal weight appropriate for your height? Encouraging you to do something that isn't healthy isn't support, it's enabling. Your real friends are the people who will tell you the truth,whether or not you want to hear it.
  • aBlueCrayon
    aBlueCrayon Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »
    TiaBia9 wrote: »
    Hi! I don't mean to rain on your parade but I took a look at your profile and a 95lb goal is pretty low for most people, unless you're very short. Were your former friends expressing concern?
    I'll echo this. Is your goal weight appropriate for your height? Encouraging you to do something that isn't healthy isn't support, it's enabling. Your real friends are the people who will tell you the truth,whether or not you want to hear it.

This.
  • mirandagarcia750
    mirandagarcia750 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    To everyone asking about my goal weight: I am very short. 5'0"
  • mirandagarcia750
    Options
    I find it rude that people automatically assume I'm anorexic because they don't like my goal weight. I'm barely 5'0" on a good day. Way to look like *kitten*. That's exactly the negativity I don't want around. Think before you speak about someone you dot know anything about.
  • Nerdycurls
    Nerdycurls Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I think miranda would know what is more appropriate for her than any of us. Her bone structure could be very fine and extra weight may look very obvious on her body.

I say this as a person who's had to deal with people freaking out on me because I lost 20 pounds a few years ago. Apparently, 155 pounds on 5'4" was "too skinny." People should be more open to hearing the other person out before jumping to conclusions.
  • aBlueCrayon
    Options
    I think Miranda just needs to get her attitude in check.
  • nineteentwenty
    nineteentwenty Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Miranda I understand :/ I'm 5'9" and 125lbs, which is supposed to be underweight, but it isn't on me. Bodies are weird. Add me if you'd like, I'm on every day, and I really like to cook healthy new recipes and post about them.
  • vfit10
    vfit10 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    You're not alone ... Keep up the good work
  • kbsangel1986
    kbsangel1986 Posts: 153 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I find it rude that people automatically assume I'm anorexic because they don't like my goal weight. I'm barely 5'0" on a good day. Way to look like *kitten*. That's exactly the negativity I don't want around. Think before you speak about someone you dot know anything about.

Not to be harsh, but remember when posting on public forums, you will get many peoples opinions. Opinions are just like @ssholes, every one has one. And after reading all the comments, i fail to see anyone being negative or unsupportive. I see people wanting to make sure they aren't pushing you to do something unhealthy, especially since your orignal post asks for advice, but you didnt give any info right off the bat, thus making it difficult to give. Personally, if it was me and my dr reacted the way yours did, i would find a second opinion from another professional. So long as your goals are healthy, you will find support here....especially if you, your goals and your diary are open. Just remember, this is a public forum, so you may have to develop a thicker skin and not get butt hurt over people asking questions :)

After checking the bmi chart, 95lbs for 5ft tall woman is at the very bottom end of a normal weight with an 18.6 body fat percentage, so as long as anyone asks you or you post again regarding this, you can tell them it is in the ideal range for your height. 99% of folks will be ok with that and willing to help.
  • mirandagarcia750
    Options

I think aBlueCrayon needs to ask questions instead of making accusations and giving lectures.
  • stevesample76
    stevesample76 Posts: 248 Member
    Options

I think aBlueCrayon needs to ask questions instead of making accusations and giving lectures.

THIS!
  • kbsangel1986
    kbsangel1986 Posts: 153 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

I think Miranda jumped down people's throats for asking questions:

Just curious, but why bother posting if you are going to be childish? No one here judged you right off the bat. And if anything I posted the longest reply, but with good intentions. Please message me if you have a problem with me or my reply. Mfp is full of supportand advice, especially if you, your goals and your diary are open. If you are unable to handle the real world, trolls or people who tell it like it is, then dont post.

Again, your goal is still healthy for your height, so there is no reason not to try for it unless it should cause some unknown medical issue. Give it a shot....what do you have to lose?
  • Moobs2Go
    Moobs2Go Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi Miranda. Sorry to see that you are not getting the support you wanted here but I find that there is always someone who wants to be the "lecturer" Do what is right for you and find people who will support you and your goals. This is hard enough as it is without the judgement of strangers. If you want a (judgement free) friend add me : )
  • aBlueCrayon
    Options

THIS!

Pffft. Y'all are the ones makes assumptions. Trolls are so funny :)
  • aBlueCrayon
    Options

I think Miranda jumped down people's throats for asking questions:

Just curious, but why bother posting if you are going to be childish? No one here judged you right off the bat. And if anything I posted the longest reply, but with good intentions. Please message me if you have a problem with me or my reply. Mfp is full of supportand advice, especially if you, your goals and your diary are open. If you are unable to handle the real world, trolls or people who tell it like it is, then dont post.

Again, your goal is still healthy for your height, so there is no reason not to try for it unless it should cause some unknown medical issue. Give it a shot....what do you have to lose?

I said the same exact things to her when she added me calling me names. Don't even bother with her or this post anymore. There's clearly a reason why she doesn't have the support she's looking for because no rational person can give it to her. I'm all for supporting and motivation, but this girl needs mental help. I'm not typically a mean person, but if I could post the things she said to me for explaining that I just wanted to make sure her weight goal was healthy for her age and height.... Man. Lol.