confused about lentils!

Options
Hi there...I apologise if this question has already been asked, I couldnt see it anywhere when i did a search in the forum...

I am confused about how to work out the calories in red split lentils.....the packet says that there are 115 calories per 100g.....but it doesnt indicate whether that is a dry weight or the weight after cooking....obviously there is going to be a massive difference in weight once they have soaked up all the water.....so which way should I calculate???

I have tried googling this but answers seem to vary considerably from site to site!

many thanks for any guidance offered! xxx

Replies

• redfroggie
    redfroggie Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Since it's just water they soak up then go with the dry weight. Water is zero calories!
  • patssarah
    patssarah Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Adding water doesnt add calories. Im pretty sure, like rice & noodles that is the measurement is dry weight.
  • BadgerGirl1016
    Options
    It will be the weight of the product in the condition in which it is found in the package: dry. Sometimes manufacturers will give calories for the state of the product as delivered in the package and then a second reading for the state of the product after cooking. Lentils will at least double, if not triple, in volume with normal cooking so this is important.
  • Peridotite
    Peridotite Posts: 66
    Options
    Usually it is given in dry weight.:happy:
  • AprilMLowe
    AprilMLowe Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Hi !

I learned in chef school always calculate dry weight before soaking and cooking! Thats the most accurate way of keeping precise track of calories and weight grams! I hope this helps. I will friend you ! I look forward to answering any chef questions you may have !
  • holly74uk
    holly74uk Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    thank you so much for all your help!.....i made lentil soup yesterday and i calculated the calories based on the dry weight...then after i had eaten it i started panicking incase i should have based it on the weight after cooking...in which case i would have been weigh over my calorie limit for the day!...so thanks for putting my mind at rest! xxx
  • Simon_kun
    Simon_kun Posts: 1
    Options
    Hate to break it to you, but there are around 300-350 Cal per 100g dry weight lentils: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lentil#Nutritional_value_and_health_benefits.

I was caught out by this too - the calorific value of 100Cal/100g on the pack must've been 'as consumed'.