Did your weight loss impact most of your problem areas in your life?

Options
Struggling with the fact that several around me feel that the only real issue in my life that is affecting everything is my weight - physically, emotionally, etc. Actually looking for encouragement on this not looking to be a Debbie Downer. What problems did you think were caused by something else and then you found out it was the weight all along? I am wondering if maybe others around me are right and it is weight. Tell me what things physically, emotionally, spiritually, intellectually you found were gone when your excess weight was gone. Appreciate the encouragement in your success stories.

Replies

• kimbercolleen
    kimbercolleen Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    For me it was the lethargy I felt when I was overweight. When I lost the weight and gained some muscle I started noticing that I had more energy to do the things I needed to do. I had more vitality, and I was happier for it. When you feel bad physically it can manifest itself emotionally as well (at least for me). I'm not saying losing weight solves all problems, it's mostly the idea behind it that means the most. I had to ask myself why I was really doing it. weight loss can be the beginning, but certain things like anxiety, urges to binge eat, stress, things like that tend persist despite weight loss and may need additional treatment (my experience). I hope this helps. Feel free to add me if you like.
  • alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Since I've been working out and eating better:

Emotionally:

I'm happier, I'm more energetic, I'm more confident, I enjoy things more. I'd say I'm feeling at my best!

Physically:

I don't do much cardio so my fitness level isn't A+ but being lighter it's easier to do everyday things!

Cannot say it's impacted me intellectually except I have way more fitness related knowledge...
  • michaela4910
    michaela4910 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I used to get terrible head aches and I had some pretty virulent mood swings. They are now gone. I don't attribute it directly to weight loss, though. I think it was more of a side benefit from trying to lose weigh by changing my eating habits and becoming more active. I cut out a lot of sugar and soda, ate a lot less carbs, fat and fried foods, ate more vegetables and started walking and running. I think those and some other problems that went away were more related to diet and exercise than directly to being overweight. But, if I wasn't trying to get my weight under control, I never would have change the other things so it is all related. Good luck in your journey.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Migraines! I started experiencing migraine headaches when I was 26 and 260 lb. They happened about 4 times per year and were pretty bad with light sensitivity and nausea. When I was about 31, I hit 300 lb and starting having the migraines about every month. They were much worse, and included vision issues. I've lost 140 lb very slowly over the past 6 years and noticed the migraines becoming a thing of the past. When I finally got under 200 lb I totally stopped having them. Once in awhile, maybe 2 times a year, I'll think I feel one coming on but they respond fully to OTC meds and stop in their tracks. It is so nice no longer having that problem!!

I also injured my back around age 26 while bowling, and every year I'll pull it again and kind of re-injure it once or twice (usually during physical activity). When I was obese, it would hurt SO much and I'd suffer for about 2 weeks. Now it still happens but I rarely have ANY pain after 1-2 days.

Other things...swollen feet and ankles, which I had on occasion, but no longer do.

Unfortunately though I have mostly noticed little or no difference in other areas such as mental health, anxiety, etc. I went through counseling which helped with my anxiety and I do have a lot less anxiety about some things in life but I'd attribute it more to other changes I have made, not weight loss. One thing that's nice though is not fidgeting so much with my clothing and body, since I feel more comfortable in my body.

I used to believe that some people would accept me more if I was a normal weight but that has generally not been my experience. In fact, while I do notice new girlfriends seem more open to me, that's about it...it seems that strangers and my extended family actually seem LESS warm toward me now, and more suspicious or untrusting. That is very foreign to me.

I have always had a LOT of energy (even at 300+ lb) and have been a fairly confident, assertive & positive person and fortunately that hasn't changed!
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    being overweight... or a step up the ladder.. being Obese... is indicative of a person's life being out of balance...too much of one thing and not enough of another... and the ONE way to restore that balance is to Balance the diet... give the body what it needs.. and slowly but surely YOU will begin to find balance in your life... YES, easier said than done.. BUT that is what makes MFP such a valuable resource... it offers you tools to begin finding that balance.. and it provides a community of people who, for the most part, are ALL on the same path... "Great minds think alike..."

Getting fat...for me, was simply a case of not caring enough about myself... I would get out and exercise in the summer... BUT for the most part... I was happy just filling my face with whatever edible substance was most convenient... I was never really into sugary things... except for soda... BUT year over year... I slowly packed on the lbs... probably about 2-3 lbs a year... then one day... I read an article that suggested a man in my age group... okay not just ONE man.. BUT men in general... lost about 10% of their muscle mass every year... THAT explained, I thought, why I was so gassed going up to stairs to bed every night... my legs had simply gotten weak... THEN I looked in the mirror... and realized... even as my legs were getting weaker and weaker... I was asking them to carry more and more weight... well too much of a good thing... I began going to the gym... to try and stave off some of the disaster I was becoming... I began looking for the balance... BUT last September I found out my effort was NOT quite enough.. OR I didn't start soon enough.. I was diagnosed with type II diabetes... SO... finding that balance is no longer an option for me at least... My quality and quantity of life is at stake...Thank goodness for MFP...

SO.. being obese... or just plain fat... at one time I had poo-pooed on the idea that some folks based their life on... that they fed their bodies like they were machines... that because of this philosophy.. that they were NOT enjoying their life to the fullest... after all what is life lived by rigid regime... how wonderful is it to be tied to a schedule that forces you to a gym... for some self loathing in front of a mirror several times a a week, while you try to fill yourself with "rabbit food" How boring to need to walk on a treadmill in order to burn off calories.. isn't life better IF all you do is drop your *ss onto the couch at the end of the day, an dfill your gaping maw with chips, and chocolate, and all manner of pastry and baked goods... and HOW wonderful to wash it down a the end of the day with a gian tbowl of cereal.. How great is it to go to bed.. FULL... that is most certainly better than what those "health nuts" put themselves through isn't it???

Well being diagnosed with diabetes has changed my mind... MFP has set me straight... and balancing my diet, and understanding that MY body is an organic bio-machine has helped me realize... that I was only fooling myself with all that BS... the granola eating health nuts .. are NOT so nuts... by fueling the Machine correctly.. amazing things happen... you develop clearer thoughts... you begin to feel ambitious...hanging on the couch.. NO longer feels like the right thing to do... you begin to simplify your diet... and you begin to embrace the physicality your body has blessed you with...

Has weight loss impacted the problem areas of my life??? I don't know.. I don't think I have lost any weight yet... BUT since I joined MFP...My life has changed for the better... and I cannot wait to see what my future has in store for me... best of luck to everyone in their quests
  • sneaky_teaky
    sneaky_teaky Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I thought my snoring was a sinus problem, and here I am 40 lbs later and my husband doesn't have to wake me up or roll me over to stop my snoring. As a result of that I now get better sleep and feel more energetic throughout the day. I also feel better about myself in the way that I can now wear clothes that I havn't been able to wear in years.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I have noticed better skin w/ fewer breakouts, especially fewer bodily breakouts - I used to be unfazed by breakouts on my thighs, bikini line, bra line, pretty regularly, and now it's a very rare occurrence to have ANY of that at all.

I also have somewhat less menstrual cramping & lighter periods (though my cycle is now considerably shorter after being like clockwork for years).
  • MrOnOneTwo
    MrOnOneTwo Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Confidence!
    When Im 5 stone lighter I feel confident, more attractive and more energetic. when Im 5 stone heavier I become shy, withdrawn and insecure.
    My relationships have broken down twice at heavy weight-I thought it was the relationship- now I see that the weight changes my confidence and my personality, so the very qualities that attracted us disappear. its not about size, its about my attitude and unhappiness with myself at this size. So...Im making it happen!
  • overin2015
    overin2015 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. Sorry I was away for a few days. These all make sense and I appreciate your honesty!
  • jadey_lady
    jadey_lady Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, weight loss has helped me in a lot of aspects. Once I started focusing on losing weight/exercise, I was able to see changes here:

Physically -
    -Less back pain due to an old injury
    -Better endurance
    -Thinner, which upped my confidence in my social/relationship area
    -Better nutrition which has made my hair, skin, nails, etc all look way better
    -More regular menstrual cycles
    -Increased libido

Mentally -
    -Better stress management
    -Less depression (bouts are much less severe)
    -Increased confidence
    -Less negativity
    -Able to look at my relationships in a more clear manner since I'm not distracted with mental problems

Addictions -
    -Cut my soda dependency
    -Stopped smoking due to better stress management
    -Cut fast food out completely once I learned that it was not giving me the fuel I needed and was leaving me hungry

Really the only negatives I've found have been a slight ding to the wallet with a cheap gym membership, better food, and new clothes. ;)
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    What a great question to ask!!! I see so many articles where people who lost a lot of weight said it did not bring them the happiness they thought it would.
    For me, it has completely transformed my life! I lost 123 pounds and have maintained for over a year.
    Physically, I feel 20 years younger. (I'm 53 and before I probably looked and felt like I was older). I no longer have trouble rolling over or getting out of bed. I sleep better. I no longer take high blood pressure meds. My acid reflux is much better. I no longer feel depressed, and I am not tired all the time.
    Like someone else said, my self confidence is so much higher. I hope this doesn't sound conceited lol, but being obese, I felt ugly. I truly did not expect to feel attractive again, but I do. Losing weight, after almost twenty years of obesity was one of the best things I have ever done.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    overin2015 wrote: »
    I am wondering if maybe others around me are right and it is weight. Tell me what things physically, emotionally, spiritually, intellectually you found were gone when your excess weight was gone. Appreciate the encouragement in your success stories.

Unhealthy excess weight is a health problem, there is no denying this, and the problem becomes more serious and has more impact and consequence as we age. That's reason enough for each of us to take charge and make change happen.

For many of us, the impacts of being overweight go beyond the strictly physical too.

How many of us have stopped doing things we once loved to do, or not done things we would love to try, because of our weight? How many of us skip the pool, because of our weight? How many of us have avoided planning certain activities for us, or for our friends or spouses or our children, because of our weight? How many of us have dressed in black, avoided new clothes, avoided social outings, because of our weight?

No matter how worthwhile we may feel through most of our day while we are out accomplishing things, how many of us can avoid the emotional impact of denying ourselves so many aspects of life, because of our weight?

Speaking only for myself... I'm one of those persons I've described. Correction, I was one of those persons.

I decided last fall to stop sabotaging my own life after finally realizing the path I was on had negative impacts on those around me who I love. I'm not totally selfless though, this journey is for me first. By making me the best me I can be, everyone around me wins too.

So the better me dropped three pant sizes and yes I wear belts with shirts tucked in now. The better me is not afraid to be in the photos of the family. The better me now will not shy away from an energetic family outing. The better me, even though I'm 53 and am basically half way to my goal of dropping 105 pounds, has already turned around rising blood pressure - with no drugs - and now has a BP a fit 20 year old would be proud of. The better me is actually looking forward to playing in the pool at a bed and breakfast this July with my wife as we celebrate our 20th anniversary. Poolside shirtless? Egads, that's something I've not done in a decade.

The better me knows I won't lose any more fruitful and fun years to my inaction due to high weight and low fitness, and all the related issues that surround being fat and unfit.

Don't just focus on your end goal or you will be blinded to your successes along the way. Every single Non Scale Victory is something to celebrate and remember. Those who are just starting out might find the road looks too far to travel, but it isn't like that at all. Important achievements come rapidly and the wins keep coming regularly. Believe it.
  • overin2015
    Options
    I love this reply!!! I do so many of those thing so yes it does impact a lot of areas of my life. Thanks
  • fairy2b
    fairy2b Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    My biggest improvement has been my mood.

I used to feel depressed, sad, unmotivated, ashamed, guilty, apathetic, lonely, lost, unsure, shy and stubborn.

After dropping weight and establishing a fitness and nutrition regimen, I'm still stubborn (HA!) but I feel confident, happy, motivated, strong, encouraged, proud, accountable, present, passionate, vibrant and social.

And this is just the emotional/mental impact of losing 60 lbs. There are soooo many other improvements too. <3
  • overin2015
    Options
    Mamadon this is actually great news. I think what makes it so difficult for me is that I know it is lifestyle change. You don't just lose it and your done.
  • overin2015
    Options
    Jadey thanks for sharing those tips