Advice needed - brain foods and breakfast!

Options
Hi y'all,

So I have important exams coming up in a week so I have A LOT of revising to do but my brain refuses to cooperate and I generally feel quite sleepy (all day long).

I was hoping someone could suggest some foods/snacks to boost alertness and just generally help my brain function properly lol.

Also, what would you recommend I eat for breakfast on days where I'll be spending pretty much the whole day studying? And on the days I have exams? Bearing in mind, I'm always running late in the morning (me and punctuality do not get along).

Thaaaaanks!! X

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    If you're sleepy, it's because you lack sleep.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Asphiax
    Asphiax Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Blueberries are a fantastic brain food! I like granola, yoghurt and blueberries for breakfast. :)
  • Bizurke51
    Bizurke51 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    My biology teacher told me when j was a freshman that oj is good for the brain before an exam. I made it a part of my pre exam ritual.
  • MindlessThought
    MindlessThought Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Asphiax wrote: »
    Blueberries are a fantastic brain food! I like granola, yoghurt and blueberries for breakfast. :)

That actually sounds yummy...I'll definitely give it a try! Thanks x
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I'd eat lots of good Fats...
  • MindlessThought
    Options
    Bizurke51 wrote: »
    My biology teacher told me when j was a freshman that oj is good for the brain before an exam. I made it a part of my pre exam ritual.

Did it help you?

I'm not a big fan of oj but I'll definitely give it a try...I need all the help I can get.

• MindlessThought
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    If you're sleepy, it's because you lack sleep.
    I've been get more than 9 hours of sleep in the last week cos I've been on holiday so I don't think that's the case...maybe it's too much sleep? :/
  • Hypsibius
    Hypsibius Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Hi y'all,

So I have important exams coming up in a week so I have A LOT of revising to do but my brain refuses to cooperate and I generally feel quite sleepy (all day long).

I was hoping someone could suggest some foods/snacks to boost alertness and just generally help my brain function properly lol.

Also, what would you recommend I eat for breakfast on days where I'll be spending pretty much the whole day studying? And on the days I have exams? Bearing in mind, I'm always running late in the morning (me and punctuality do not get along).

Thaaaaanks!! X

So, personally, I prefer a high-protein breakfast. Pork chop with a friend egg, and side of fresh avocado with salt and pepper. This is great after a tough morning workout -- and there's some research showing that it's beneficial to brain power to get your protein up front (but take the internetz with a grain of salt -- particularly when it comes to anything nutrition related).

Ninerbuff is correct that there is no substitute for sleep. Obviously I remember college and pulling all-nighters with Monsters and Red bulls -- but looking back, I'm not sure that did much more than make it that much more difficult to get the REM sleep I really needed to perform the next day. Good luck!
  • MindlessThought
    Options
    I'll keep everything you've all said in mind and hopefully get through the next three weeks in one piece and do well in my exams.

Thanks! X
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Hi y'all,

This is just a shot in the dark, but is there any chance you could have sleep apnea? I was an absolute slug no matter how much sleep I got until I was diagnosed with sleep apnea and started using a CPAP machine. It completely changed my life. If you're getting 9 hours per night but are still sleepy, that's something I'd consider.

• MindlessThought
    edited May 2015
    Options
    ^Yeah I have heard of that...I doubt that is the case but I'll definitely go to see my doctor.

Last week I had insomnia; I couldn't sleep no matter how tired I was and this week I can't get up in the morning and I walk around like a zombie :(
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    ^Yeah I have heard of that...I doubt that is the case but I'll definitely go to see my doctor.

Before going in I'd read up on the symptoms first. The most telling sign is being told that you have an irregular snoring pattern and frequent periods where you stop breathing only to gasp for breath several seconds later. When I had my sleep test done, they found that I stopped breathing 65 times per hour for 10 seconds or more.

If you don't have the irregular snoring and/or the periods where you stop breathing, it may not be the issue.

Before I was treated, I was so bad I'd turn the shower on and go back to bed while I "waited" for the water to get warm. Sometimes all the hot water would be gone by the time I woke back up.

• TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    caramelized red onions with eggs and cooked kale with a little butter or coconut oil on the side
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I'd concentrate on carbs, fat and micros (like vitamin B ) earlier in the day. I'm not sure how much it'll help, but our brain uses a lot of energy that comes from carbs and fat improves our mood. I would say that eating certain macros and micros will not cancel out a low quality sleeping pattern. Then again, I'm not a doctor. Just an anonymous internet user. :wink:
  • MindlessThought
    Options
    JarethG wrote: »
    I wouldn't suggest eating brain.

It's get this off gelatinous consistency of like a mix between runny scrambled eggs, and ground beef that's been partially boiled.

LOL...speaking from experience, are you? :D
  • MindlessThought
    Options
    caramelized red onions with eggs and cooked kale with a little butter or coconut oil on the side

This sounds quite nice but I wouldn't have time to make it in the morning....maybe I'll make it the night before and warm it up in the morning.

I've never had kale before so it should be interesting.

Thanks x

• MindlessThought
    Options
    FoxyLifter wrote: »
    I'd concentrate on carbs, fat and micros (like vitamin B ) earlier in the day. I'm not sure how much it'll help, but our brain uses a lot of energy that comes from carbs and fat improves our mood. I would say that eating certain macros and micros will not cancel out a low quality sleeping pattern. Then again, I'm not a doctor. Just an anonymous internet user. :wink:

Cool, thank you...I'll keep this in mind x

• Saryia
    Saryia Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Good fats + protein, sources of omega 3's. If you have fish oil supplements, now would be a good time to take them.

Breakfast ideas:

Salmon on a bed of fresh spinach
    Eggs and steak
    Cheese + handful of almonds
    Cottage cheese or Greek yogurt

You can try bulletproof coffee if you'd like, I'm not a fan but I know people who swear by it. I don't like the taste of butter in my coffee, so I just put a little coconut cream in there instead.
  • MindlessThought
    Options
    Saryia wrote: »
    Good fats + protein, sources of omega 3's. If you have fish oil supplements, now would be a good time to take them.

Breakfast ideas:

Salmon on a bed of fresh spinach
    Eggs and steak
    Cheese + handful of almonds
    Cottage cheese or Greek yogurt

You can try bulletproof coffee if you'd like, I'm not a fan but I know people who swear by it. I don't like the taste of butter in my coffee, so I just put a little coconut cream in there instead.

I have fish oil supplements in my cupboard which I had completely forgotten about so thanks for the reminder!

Your suggestions sound yummy so I'll be sure to give them a try...Thanks again xx