The waiting game!!!

Options
Any tips on not living your life waiting for the next weigh in? I find myself wishing it was Monday again so I can see my results! Is this normal behaviour?

Replies

• cmoll520
    cmoll520 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Why not weigh every day then?
  • MawiMawi01
    MawiMawi01 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I try not to do that due to fluctuations, better to get a weekly reading, also I worry it will be off putting to see a gain on the scales and hinder my motivation for the gym
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    MawiMawi01 wrote: »
    I try not to do that due to fluctuations, better to get a weekly reading, also I worry it will be off putting to see a gain on the scales and hinder my motivation for the gym

What if you see a gain on the weekly weigh in?
  • MawiMawi01
    Options
    Then I know I have to work harder the week ahead
  • galgenstrick
    edited May 2015
    Options
    My point is, you should Not use the scale as a motivational tool. You're bound to get two or even three weeks in a row without weight loss, and some of the time you can be doing everything perfectly and working as hard as you can.
  • MawiMawi01
    Options
    You might be right I do rely heavily on what the scales say
  • MawiMawi01
    Options
    I'm treating more as a competition with myself at the moment
  • galgenstrick
    edited May 2015
    Options
    You might be right I do rely heavily on what the scales say

Do yourself a huge favor and ditch that behavior. Take some other metrics. I recommend some measurements with a tape measure and progress pictures. The scale is bound to demotivate you and leads a lot of people to think they have some genetic or metabolic problem that makes it impossible to lose weight.
  • MawiMawi01
    Options
    Wish I had done that earlier :( but I think your right I could see the danger of it building up but so far the scale monster had been good to me. I knew it would happen I was just trying to stay ready for it! Thanks you have really helped I think I need to rethink this addiction to weigh in day
  • galgenstrick
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Wish I had done that earlier :( but I think your right I could see the danger of it building up but so far the scale monster had been good to me. I knew it would happen I was just trying to stay ready for it! Thanks you have really helped I think I need to rethink this addiction to weigh in day

No problem, it took me something like 60 days to get over the excitement and dissapointment the scale brought. I have progress pictures from when I started and look back at them every time I start too feel a little demotivated, 30 pounds down and I look way better. Brings my spirit up every time.

I do recommend you use the scale, I weigh myself every day. Every week I take the last two weeks of data and fit a trend line to it. Using that I can pretty much tell you exactly what my TDEE is and know exactly how to adjust my calories or exercise to lose at a different rate. There are big fluctuations a lot of the time, but doing this method will wash out the outliers and give you solid and reliable data.

Honestly, I just treat weight loss as a math problem and try to keep emotion out of it.

Then one day you'll look in the mirror and be like, "woah! I'm looking good!"
  • MawiMawi01
    Options
    Good advice!!! I'm glad I asked, I think I'll have to take a leaf out of your book, I'll start with the body measurement this Monday! I think you made a lot of sense. Congratulations on success!! 30lbs is brilliant!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,193 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day and doing that shows patterns. For example, I usually gain weight the day after a long bicycle ride ... then about 2 days later I lose that weight plus some. I am aware of that pattern, so it doesn't worry me to see an extra half kg or something on a Monday morning.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    I weigh everyday.

You say you don't want to weigh everyday because of fluctuations, well what if on a weigh in day you have a fluctuation? A gain you see one week could just be a fluctuation.
  • wanttobefit300
    wanttobefit300 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I weigh everyday. The fluctuations are informative. This morning I was up 0.6 lb after my modified-fast day. But I knew the cause so it didn't bother me. Lost all of it shortly after breakfast. Will probably be down even more tomorrow. Use the fluctuations to find out something about your body and its reactions.