Non-Cardio Exercises

Options
I've tried doing Insanity a while back and realized that maybe HIIT programs were not for me. I hate cardio, and those workouts discouraged me to a point where I just gave up.

Now, I want to try something different, but I'm not sure how. For those who don't like cardio like me, what activities/exercises have worked for you? Maybe even something that is cardio but nontraditional?

Replies

• rejectuf
    rejectuf Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Strength training.
  • lisa2219
    lisa2219 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Could it be the setting? Are you doing them at home or at a gym in a group setting? I can't do workout videos at home but I love doing group classes at the gym. Right now I do a boot camp class that is a mix of cardio and strength. I love not only the group setting of the class but also that I don't have to think about it the instructor tells us exactly what to do. Another form of cardio I love is hiking.

Finding a good strength routine might be the way to go. Some good resources: bodybuilding.com, or New Rules of Lifting for Women, Female Body Breakthrough, Body for Life etc.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    What about dance or cycling or kick boxing for cardio?
    If you want to avoid cardio all together, then maybe get into weight lifting.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Lift weights.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Lift weights.

This.

I did some cardio while I was losing but toward the end and getting into maintenance, I realized I hate it so much that I would never do enough to really change my TDEE much or allow me to eat much more. I wear chuck taylors to the gym and haven't put on a pair of sneakers/running shoes in about a month.
  • shivasgirl
    shivasgirl Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I like the Aquafit that I take at the health club. It's cardio but in the water. My heart rate stays up for 45 minutes but it doesnt even seem like I am working out!
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    lift weights. I do a little bit of cardio (20 mins) tho I mostly lift weights.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    kwaiiRose wrote: »
    Now, I want to try something different, but I'm not sure how.

What do you want to achieve?

I similarly find prancing around in front of a DVD to be particularly unsatisfying as far as training is concerned, loathe exercise machines in the gym and find resistance training to be very dull, so it's a necessary evil.

The key thing is to be clear about the end result you want, and then identify something that helps you towards that.