What is classed as Low Carb foods

Options
I'm very thick and aint got a clue. Need lots of suggestions cos i'm a carb addict and am finding it very hard :_(

Replies

• Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    Meat/fish, vegetables, nuts, dairy
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    meat, cheese, plain greek yogurt, veggies, fruit
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    Do you want to know the carb count that would be considered "low carb" or, like already posted, just food types?
  • gotabayqh
    gotabayqh Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    You have to watch out on the fruit... it has a lot more natural sugar in it than you'd think! 1 apple has about 25 carbs in it.
  • sam363
    sam363 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I'm very thick and aint got a clue. Need lots of suggestions cos i'm a carb addict and am finding it very hard :_(

Suggestions above are great low carb foods. 1 serving of carbs is 15g. Meals should consist of 2-3 servings and snacks 1-2 servings. If you have 4 servings or 60 g then go for a 15 minute walk to stabalize your blood sugar.

It gets easier to count once you have been doing it for awhile so make sure to track everything and take a look at your totals per meal. It doesn't nessessarily matter how many servings you eat per day (make sure you are within calories) but more so per meal/snack. Good luck and feel free to friend me if you would like to see my food log.
  • jojosmojitos
    Options
    Carbs come from starch like flour and grains, sugar, potatoes, corn, fruits and other natural sugars like honey, molassas, nectars & syrups. Eating a low carb diet would be eliminating processed starches like bleached flour and refined sugars and cutting back the amounts of starchy vegetables, fruits and whole grains you consume.
  • Bootylishbabe
    Bootylishbabe Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    i've seen people say wraps are better than bread, cous cous is better than pasta/rice. The alternatives would be great as i'm a real big bread pasta and rice lover. I thought cheese was high in fat and cals so was a no no food or is it certain cheeses like cottage cheese? I'm just pretty useless on choosing the alternatives cos i'm clueless on them.
  • xTattooedDollx
    xTattooedDollx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    You should try Googling it or check out a few books. I only eat natural carbs found in fruits and veggies. You'll go thru withdrawal typically up til a month.
  • Bootylishbabe
    Bootylishbabe Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    mmm thats what i'm most scared of is the with drawels. I've not long give up smoking (6months nearly) and MFP is the only thing keeping me from going back these days as i've already hit that "picky stage cos it won't hurt me" way of thinking :(

Should i do it gradually? I've noticed i get really bloated when i do have lots of carbs. What is the best percentages to have of carbs/sugar etc?

Thanks in advance, this might be the kick up the bum i need :)
  • mylifethusfar
    Options
    First of all CONGRATS on the smoking ceasesion....that is a BIG DEAL. I quit about 2 years ago and i have never felt better....it gets much easier as time goes on.
    Second, as far as low carb is concerned, it is alot more extensive and more satisfying that i can tell you. I have been doing it for about 3 months now, and as a pasta and potato lover, i can tell you......i dont miss those things. I did, but only for a short time. I thought it was great that i could eat things like Peanut butter (my fav thing for snacks) and cheese (which DID used to be a no no, because of fat and cals, but now i can eat because its a naturally low carb food.) In the begining i did my own form of induction, which is just a fancy way of saying 20 carbs or less per day, and i wasnt hungry between meals as much as i was when i was a carber, I felt full and satisfied, but never stuffed and miserable. Which is something i dont miss, that over full feeling....was never a good feeling. I am now up to eating around 100 carbs per day, which may seem like a lot to most ppl who are low carb, but.....that is still 1/3 less than the national food pyramid recommends. During the first week of induction i lost 9 lbs. I was doing little to no exercise too, it was simply my body begining to burn fat rather than insuline. There is a drawback though, and that is the headache that comes as a side effect of begining the process. Its a carb withdrawl sympton, and it was no fun, but it does pass. I will not tell you that i have been perfect on the diet, i have had weak moments and weak weekends lol. When my family came to visit it was very hard to stay low carb. I was able to find many alternatives to normal high carb foods in a low carb version. I was not naive enough to expect them to taste like the sugar ladden originals, and they didnt, but they were very good in their own way, i just had to learn to adjust my expectations. I have relied heavily on a specific website to help with recipes......
    http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/recipes.html
    this site was a lifesaver, my fav thing to make is the Philly Cheesesteak Skillet.....even my kids love it. lol.
    I hope that you find what works for you Bootylishbabe, the best thing in the world is when you begin to see progress, you immediately begin to feel better about yourself and the way you look. Youll notice that you start to smile more, and stand up a bit straighter....it is truely the best feeling in the world. Good luck to you :happy: