Talking fats

Options
gyal3
gyal3 Posts: 48 Member
so quick question
I always thought that monounsaturated fats are considered good and we should avoid the saturated fats- if that is the case why does the micronutrient profile for myfitnesspal have 0g recommendation for mono and poly unsaturated fats but has a specific g recommendation for the saturated fats??
Is that supposed to mean there is a max saturated daily fat consumption but no actual recommendation on unsaturated fats? Or am I just completely wrong and need to cut out all my MUFAs?

Replies

• Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    My understanding is that if a food has saturated fats it's likely to have unsaturated and vice versa. So it's unlikely your going to have one with out the other.

So I guess what mfp is saying is for mono and poly you should have as little as possible, not zero. But they didn't want to put say 5g there.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    gyal3 wrote: »
    Is that supposed to mean there is a max saturated daily fat consumption but no actual recommendation on unsaturated fats?

This. I dont think there's a specific recommendation.
  • Merkavar
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    Is that supposed to mean there is a max saturated daily fat consumption but no actual recommendation on unsaturated fats?

I think the fda or someone recommends less than 30% of your daily calories coming from poly and mono fats

Not sure if that means you have to watch your fats or if that recommendation is so high you would have to try hard to exceed it.
  • Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Oh, haven't you heard: saturated fat isn't bad for us any more, according to the scientists. Now it's trans fats and processed vegetable oils we need to avoid like the plague.
    Apparently all that stuff about saturated fat being bad was a mistake.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Is that supposed to mean there is a max saturated daily fat consumption but no actual recommendation on unsaturated fats? Or am I just completely wrong and need to cut out all my MUFAs?

Yes. It should say N/A, but is currently screwed up for some reason.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »

I think the fda or someone recommends less than 30% of your daily calories coming from poly and mono fats

Not sure if that means you have to watch your fats or if that recommendation is so high you would have to try hard to exceed it.

That's total fats.

And there's really no good reason I've ever seen for it, so I don't worry much about it, although I do tend to eat around 30%.
  • Merkavar
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Merkavar wrote: »

That's total fats.

And there's really no good reason I've ever seen for it, so I don't worry much about it, although I do tend to eat around 30%.
    Probably because higher than 30% fat your not going to eat enough protein or carbs etc
  • gyal3
    gyal3 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Great thanks so much guys! I'm am doing low carbs ( not very low-just moderate) and so I'm increasing my protein and fat- just wanted make sure I was eating the right kind of fat