Tough winter

Options
2»

Replies

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    I don't see why it should matter whether we say it was a lack of workouts or from overeating. The two are not independent. Maintenance requires a balance of calories in and calories out. For me, weight gain has always been the result of a change in activity level. I did less stuff, but my eating habits remained the same. Yes, we could say that I gained weight by eating too much, but if you aren't really thinking about how much your activity level has decreased, you aren't likely to change your eating habits.

because and you know why...over eating causes weight gain...regardless of why you are over eating..lots lose weight without exercise and maintain without it...exercise gives us more calories to consume yes...which makes maintenance levels higher but again...you can workout all you want but if you are over eating you still will gain...this is the same convo I had with my 21 yo son last night...he doesn't get it...
    I don't see why it should matter whether we say it was a lack of workouts or from overeating. The two are not independent. Maintenance requires a balance of calories in and calories out. For me, weight gain has always been the result of a change in activity level. I did less stuff, but my eating habits remained the same. Yes, we could say that I gained weight by eating too much, but if you aren't really thinking about how much your activity level has decreased, you aren't likely to change your eating habits.

Because you're now overeating since you lowered your activity level. You were, basically, using exercise to mask your eating habits.

There's more than one way to look at this. Yes, because calorie intake is higher than calorie output, it can be said that the person is overeating. But it is just as valid to say that their activity level isn't high enough for what they are eating. While it is simple enough to say, "well, they should just reduce what they eat," saying that doesn't take into account that many people are not aware of what they are eating. They get up in the morning and eat the same breakfast they have for years. They eat at the same place for lunch every day, so they have roughly the same number of calories. They have a few go to meals that they eat for supper. And between meals, they snack on something, but it is similar to what they always snack on. What people eat is a long formed habit. So, when they change their activity level, they will keep eating the same stuff they always have. You don't change habits like that very easily. And since what they eat was working for them before, the change in weight can be said to be due to the change in in activity level, rather than being due to them not changing a habit.

why do you assume they will eat the same amount? when i exercise more I am hungrier and therefore eat more food.

Every situation is different and it isn't uncommon for people to eat more as their activity level increases, but there are cases where this isn't true. If someone takes their lunch to work, eats the same breakfast daily, and their spouse cooks supper, their calorie intake may stay constant, no matter the activity level.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

because and you know why...over eating causes weight gain...regardless of why you are over eating..lots lose weight without exercise and maintain without it...exercise gives us more calories to consume yes...which makes maintenance levels higher but again...you can workout all you want but if you are over eating you still will gain...this is the same convo I had with my 21 yo son last night...he doesn't get it...

Because you're now overeating since you lowered your activity level. You were, basically, using exercise to mask your eating habits.

There's more than one way to look at this. Yes, because calorie intake is higher than calorie output, it can be said that the person is overeating. But it is just as valid to say that their activity level isn't high enough for what they are eating. While it is simple enough to say, "well, they should just reduce what they eat," saying that doesn't take into account that many people are not aware of what they are eating. They get up in the morning and eat the same breakfast they have for years. They eat at the same place for lunch every day, so they have roughly the same number of calories. They have a few go to meals that they eat for supper. And between meals, they snack on something, but it is similar to what they always snack on. What people eat is a long formed habit. So, when they change their activity level, they will keep eating the same stuff they always have. You don't change habits like that very easily. And since what they eat was working for them before, the change in weight can be said to be due to the change in in activity level, rather than being due to them not changing a habit.

I see what you are saying because my uncle decided to start running but did not change his eating habits (calorie intake) and lost about thirty pounds. As long as he ran, the weight stayed off. When he stopped running, the weight came back on. Of course it was because he was eating too much anyway, but had he not exercised with that food intake he would not have lost weight. The exercise was just another way to create a calorie deficit.

However, since one can lose weight without exercise, it all comes back to overeating.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    @brianengland, you go guy!
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Consider it a wakeup call. I had one last year when I got close to my goal and, after the holidays, one thing led to another and I stopped logging. Because I had changed my eating habits, it took a while, but I gained back about half of what I lost before I realized it because I wasn't keeping track of what I ate anymore. I ate less overall, but I still tended to go over. I had to start bribing myself to log again, and it's been working.

As for exercise vs. eating, they do go hand in hand. Yes, you can lose weight with just calorie counting. That's what I did for most of it, so it totally works. But when I started my walking class in January, I ended up having to really eat extra on those days I walked, which turned out to be harder than I thought it would be. Now that class is over, I have to make sure I keep walking because I've gotten used to those extra calories on the days I normally walk, and if I don't walk, I'll end up eating more calories from habit again.
  • KettleTO
    KettleTO Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    It was a tough winter in eastern North America for many people. There were a couple of weekends where I didn't leave the house. I gained around 20 lbs and now am back to exercising and tracking food. It is totally heart breaking to regain all that hard fought for weight loss, but my reaction was curl up at home and eat.

Keep at it.
  • brianengland
    brianengland Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I've been tracking for a week now. I feel pretty good about it because I know I'm on my way. I've been down this road before! Thanks for all the positive comments!