Macros calculation

Options
fessy86
fessy86 Posts: 3 Member
edited May 2015 in Food and Nutrition
looking for advice here. I'm 6'3" at 240 lbs. My job is sedentary but I do 30-45 cardio 4-5 times a week. My calculations give me 2900 calories. At 40/40/20 that's 290p, 290c, 64f.

I just can't seem to eat that much. My goal is to drop 25-30 lbs. Are these calculations set in stone or can I reduce the calories. I'm stuffed and find that I need to eat 100 g's of protein and carbs. I admit I have no idea what I'm doing. Do I absolutely need to eat the calories I burn at the gym or can I ignore the added?

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    What are your goals? One half pound a week? Go back and look at those. Eat about 30% of the gym calories.
  • doktorglass
    doktorglass Posts: 91 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Well, if I were you, I would calculate TDEE myself and just go by that. I checked your stats, and I get:
    TDEE: ~2900 (Lightly active)
    Calorie allowance: ~2400 (Losing 1lb/week, means a 500kcal/day deficit.)
    I would start out with a macro split of 45C/30P/25F. Which would translate to 270g carbs, 180g protein and 67g fat for a 2400kcal diet. (Tweak it as you go along if it doesn't feel "right" for you.)
    Input exercise, and eat back half the calories MFP gives you.
    Time to goal: 6-7 months
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Well, if I were you, I would calculate TDEE myself and just go by that. I checked your stats, and I get:
    TDEE: ~2900 (Lightly active)
    Calorie allowance: ~2400 (Losing 1lb/week, means a 500kcal/day deficit.)
    I would start out with a macro split of 45C/30P/25F. Which would translate to 270g carbs, 180g protein and 67g fat for a 2400kcal diet. (Tweak it as you go along if it doesn't feel "right" for you.)
    Input exercise, and eat back half the calories MFP gives you.
    Time to goal: 6-7 months

You do not do this when basing your calorie deficit on TDEE. Total Daily Energy Expenditure already accounts for exercise.
  • doktorglass
    doktorglass Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    @Mycophilia Of course.
  • fessy86
    fessy86 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Today is much better. I'm almost finished with my meals and feel much better.
  • jddnw
    jddnw Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Are these calculations set in stone or can I reduce the calories. I'm stuffed and find that I need to eat 100 g's of protein and carbs. I admit I have no idea what I'm doing. Do I absolutely need to eat the calories I burn at the gym or can I ignore the added?

They are not set in stone. Makes adjustments as you see fit. You are in charge, not the app. No need to stuff yourself.