Low carb, no sugar, low fat.. Feeling overwhelmed!

Options
Hey guys! Relatively new to this and really wanting to educate myself on nutrition and such. However I can't help but feel a bit overhwelmed/confused on the best way to adjust my diet to lose weight... Do I follow a low carb rule or low sugar or low fat? I can't seem to figure out what fruits/vegs to stay away from if I'm trying to lose weight! Or does it really even matter as long as you don't have too much of anything? Any help/guidance/tips would be so appreciated!! Thank you :) -newbie

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    The only thing that matters to losing weight is a calorie deficit. You don't have to cut anything out of your diet...focus on nutrition, add treats in moderation.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    The only thing that matters to losing weight is a calorie deficit. You don't have to cut anything out of your diet...focus on nutrition, add treats in moderation.

Seconded. Food goes throught weird "it's good for you, no now it's bad for you!" cycles. What diets tell you to do now won't be true a few years from now. Now, there are things you should eat in moderation because they provide calories without any real nutritional value, but they're not bad foods. Your best bet is simply to count your calories and make sure you're getting nutrtion you need over the course of the day. And if you want candy bar, adjust your calories for the day to have it.
  • calivandewoestyne
    calivandewoestyne Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    ^ That is correct. Only a caloric deficit matters. I have been counting my macro nutrients (IIFYM) for 5 months, and remaining a caloric deficit (nearly) every day. I eat mostly 'clean' foods; lean meats, veggies, fruits, nuts, olive oils, etc, but I still allow myself indulgences as long as I stick within my macro nutrients. Like I said, I have been consistently doing this for 5 months, along with exercise, and Ive lost lost 34 lbs, 19 inches, and 23% body fat.
    Some people like to hate on IIFYM, but hey, it worked for me, while eating a large volume of food and not restricting myself. Obviously results vary from person to person, but that way of eating changed my life.
    Here is some info on macro counting (IIFYM)
    http://www.muscleforlife.com/what-is-if-it-fits-your-macros-and-does-it-work/
    If you want more info. Shoot me a message, I would be happy to tell you more.
  • jitterbugginlovin
    jitterbugginlovin Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    If your only goal is to lose weight, like the last poster said, eating a calorie deficit is all you need to worry about. Everything in moderation, weigh your food and log accurately, etc. Nutrition is a different story and you are correct, there are a million opinions out there. Paleo, Vegan, "Clean Eating", Low Fat, Vegetarian, Fruitarian, etc, and everyone thinks their way is the best way. Honestly, I wouldn't worry about "following" a specific diet plan, they all have positives and negatives. I think its safe to say focusing on eating lots of fruits, veggies, whole grains, etc, and finding out what works best for you is the best "diet plan"! The nutrition and macro calculators on MFP are very helpful to make sure you are getting all the good stuff you need and if adjustments need to be made (I know I need to make some) then you know what needs to change.
  • kvalhion
    kvalhion Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    There is very little nutritional value in processed foods, and the companies that make it do not have your health interests in mind. Take a look at a lot of the ingredient lists on packages and your eyes will glaze over. :)

There is no one right way to eat, but it does follow common sense to try to eat as cleanly as possible. For me, that means a lot of vegetables, lean proteins (chicken and turkey), fish and eggs, minimal dairy, some fruits, and healthy fats. When I need to lose weight, I will keep my carbohydrates low which naturally reduces my appetite and makes it easier mentally to stay in a calorie deficit.

I was able to lose 78 pounds in one calendar year (May 2010 to May 2011) and have kept the weight off for four years by following the above. I haven't been perfect by any means -- there always seems to be occasions to eat crap foods -- but I do not make it part of my daily habit.

Like others mentioned, find whatever makes you happy and makes you feel the best. Something you can make as part of your daily eating habit and not have to fret over or micromanage. Something sustainable but healthy. Feel free to experiment, and do not try to exactly copy what others are doing.

If you are still confused, read some nutrition books or watch some documentaries on Netflix. I would recommend documentaries like "In Search of the Perfect Human Diet", "Forks Over Knives", "Fat Sick and Nearly Dead", etc. They offer different perspectives and habits (vegetarian, juicing, paleo, etc). You can then decide what works best for you. Good luck!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I wouldn't worry about "following" a specific diet plan, they all have positives and negatives. I think its safe to say focusing on eating lots of fruits, veggies, whole grains, etc, and finding out what works best for you is the best "diet plan"! The nutrition and macro calculators on MFP are very helpful to make sure you are getting all the good stuff you need and if adjustments need to be made (I know I need to make some) then you know what needs to change.

This is basically how I think of it, except I'd add in protein as something to try and meet your goal for.

IMO, people overcomplicate the nutrition stuff. You know what a good diet is already--eat your veggies, have some fruit if you like it, get protein and keep your servings of lower nutrient/higher calorie stuff (extras or treats) at a reasonable level and after your essentials are met (or planned for in your calories).

But for weight loss, it's really just about keeping to your calories and, as PU said, if you get started and find that you are having trouble staying full or not overeating, then you might want to revisit what you are eating and see if you can change things up.
  • DaniConstant
    DaniConstant Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Wow this is awesome guys thanks so much!! Really needed that clarification on this topic as I'm constantly confused about this. I will definitely be educating myself as best as I can on this! :)
  • DaniConstant
    Options
    Okay so another question.. In my macro nutrients chart it has said I'm consuming more carbohydrates then I'm suppose to.. (Not a huge amount, but still am) Yet I'm always ending my day lower than my max calorie intake. Sooo Do i not worry too much if I'm not over my max calories? (This is where my confusing comes from lol)
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Okay so another question.. In my macro nutrients chart it has said I'm consuming more carbohydrates then I'm suppose to.. (Not a huge amount, but still am) Yet I'm always ending my day lower than my max calorie intake. Sooo Do i not worry too much if I'm not over my max calories? (This is where my confusing comes from lol)

Yes, as long as you're under on the overall calories, you're good!

Agree in general, except to say if you're over carbs but under total calories that would imply you're probably quite a bit under in protein and fat. These macros are important so maybe focus on trying to meet them the next few days.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Everyone is spot on with the carbs not being a problem, and worry about your calorie limit, but in general I eat the way you described:
    Breakfast - egg whites with vegetables or frittata with meat/veggies
    Lunch - soup, chili, stuffed peppers, salad
    Dinner - zucchini noodles with veggie/meatballs, curry with cauliflower rice, stir fry, veggie/meat burgers with lettuce wraps, any of the aforementioned lunches, etc.

• whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Eat food. Mostly plants. Not too much. All you need to know.
  • DaniConstant
    Options
    So many great points! Thanks guys! Everything has made me feel like I have a much clearer take on it all now! Thanks!!
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    There's no certain diet . Eat what you want, but in moderation. Use portion control(get a food scale. Weigh everything) if you eat at a deficit, you'll lose weight. It's that simple. Hit your macros the best you can, but don't stress if your a little off. I've eaten ice cream, candy, whatever I want and still lost the weight. There's no special diet needed. People love to over complicate things.