Need ideas on how to workout/around plantar fasciiatis

Options
I have recently been diagnosed with plantar fasciiatis in my right foot. There are some days where I can barely walk because the pain is so unbearable. I am just getting back into working out after "taking several years off" because life got in the way. Right now, the pain is limiting my ability to do my 30 minutes of cardio 3-5 days a week and even bothers me when I do my 2 days of strength training. I don't want to give up on working out and getting back into shape but am just looking for some ideas on what can help ease the pain from the time I wake up until the time I go to bed so that I can get my workouts in. Any suggestions are highly appreciated!!

Replies

• aimeeinohio
    aimeeinohio Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    You really need to rest it. And while resting work on stretching it out. Use a foam roller, a frozen water bottle, or a golf ball and roll your foot back and forth, it will hurt.
  • CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, recovering from PF really does take time, stretching, and not stressing that ligament (by excessive weight/pressure on that foot) for possibly quite some time. For me, I hate to say it, that's when I gained alot of weight, as I never monitored or changed my food intake after I got this terrible ailment (this was before I actively started losing weight and using MFP; plantar fasciitis was a huge factor in my gaining weight).

Use this time to really monitor your food intake, and keep yourself in at least a maintenance mode, if not losing. Activities that may not be so bad could be riding a bike (exercise bike or real bike), swimming, and you say you lift weights--possibly focus more on upper body weights rather than weights that bear down on your feet.

What ended up helping me recover from PF (#4 and #5 were the most significant) are:

1. Cortisone shots, about every six months or so. Helps reduce swelling.
    2. Stretching, using a tennis ball on the bottom of the foot, or dorsiflexion (lifting the foot up to the knee, so stretching out the bottom of the foot).
    3. Icing the foot.
    4. BIG: getting custom-fit orthotics for my shoes.
    5. BIG: sleeping with a brace that keeps your foot at a 90-degree angle from your shin.

That brace--it keeps your foot flexed. The main reason you have such pain when you take your first steps of the morning is that your ligament on the bottom of your foot retracted while you were asleep. When you take that first step, your stretching out that ligament for the first time after hours of being retracted. The brace keeps that ligament stretched out.

The orthotics helped with daytime; the brace helped at night. It took MONTHS. Sorry to say that...but start now in taking care of it, or it'll just stay with you, and stay with you...until you get so sick of it, you do this sort of stuff anyway. Just start doing it now.

I will say I feel like I'm pretty much "cured." I still don't do alot of barefoot walking, and only occasionally will wear non-supportive shoes (like flip-flops), but I sure won't go all day in non-supporting shoes. Good luck.
  • jprule1
    jprule1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the info, icing mine right now. I just started working out and everything seems to be breaking down, but will continue to push thru and get this weight off.
  • svirds
    svirds Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    If you don't mind the pool, hop in and swim laps. It's really good cardio and non-impact (you will be stretching your fascia without even realizing it) and BONUS - it's an amazing calorie burn whne you get your heart rate up! PF is very painful and different things help different people. When I had it, I tried the usual golf ball, frozen water bottle, Strasbourg sock, etc - none of it worked...As a runner, I was eager to have the pain go away quickly. It took about 6 - 8 weeks for me. This was last summer and I have been pain free ever since. What worked for me was using a Moji roller to really get into my heel, and well as switching my shoes to Birkenstock's, I also regularly use a TheraBand roller on the bottom of me feet to stretch the fascia. You'll find what works for you, but in the meantime find a city pool to hop into and do laps to keep your cardio up!
  • dobrogirl
    dobrogirl Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just saw this and want to give you some encouragement. I suffered from this some years ago, and it was SO AWFUL!! I didn't take care of it, and it got worse and worse, and I was favoring it, so eventually had PF in BOTH FEET!! The outside of what had been the "good" foot ended up numb for several years! At one point I seriously thought that I would need to get a disabled placard for my car, because I couldn't walk across a large city parking lot.

The poster above is right on! Take care of this now. Don't be like me. I ignored it for way too long, and that is why I hate to tell you that it took me a year or more to get back to normal. The good news is that I am now TOTALLY FINE! You will feel as if you will never get better, but you will! Don't lose heart! I never did the cortisone shots, but I did do a lot of stretching. Mostly it just takes time.

The main thing I do now, religiously, is ALWAYS wear special insoles in my shoes. They are not custom, but something called Superfeet. (They have them in REI - probably other places as well.) The only shoes I wear without them are by Naot - very expensive (sorry about that) shoes with special cork insoles which come with the shoe. Even for my son's ultra-fancy wedding - in France, no less - I would not put on high heels. I told my French daughter-in-law to tell everyone I had a foot disability.

Good luck and hang in there!
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    I started focusing on losing weight and came to MFP because of worsening foot pain that I believe is in part caused by p.f. and was concerned about exercise too. My stationary bike has really saved me, as the force it takes to pedal a bike is nothing like weight-bearing exercise. In fact, I've taken to riding in socks as the pedals sit right where they need to and it's like having a foot massage (I have a recumbent bike- don't know if that makes a difference or not.) I've also just ordered a pair of orthaheel vionic shoes to test, and if they work well will be investing in more. Hope you can find a strategy that works for you :)
  • svirds
    svirds Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    try2again wrote: »
    I've also just ordered a pair of orthaheel vionic shoes to test, and if they work well will be investing in more.

I have a pair of Vionic flip flops and I LOVE them!! Hope yours work for you!
  • Derf_Smeggle
    Derf_Smeggle Posts: 610 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I completely agree with resting, stretching the calves and arch of the foot gently, and using a tennis ball or other roller along the arch. Sometimes supports and orthotics are needed.

I would also, as a practicing acupuncturist, recommend acupuncture treatments to speed things along. I see numerous cases every year and get great results.