Hungry at night

Options
Hi everyone!
I am looking to lose about 5-10 pounds but it is hard because I eat healthy already and have gained weight from adding muscle. My issue is that I eat healthy all day but I am constantly hungry no matter what I eat at night around 8-10pm. Any suggestions on filling snacks? I also am allergic to all nuts so I have to find substitutes for lots of healthy nut options :/ thanks!

Replies

• veganminecraft
    veganminecraft Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    i get hungry at night tp, even after i already eat. I like shiratake noodles, very low cal and you can make a logjt soup with it. The broth and noodles together will trick you into thinking you ate a filling meal. Mushrooms are also low cal and an awesomr snack or in soup
  • Mcdonnellb19
    Mcdonnellb19 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Yeah that's a great idea because it is light but still feels like a good meal! Thanks!
  • djk2258
    djk2258 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I snack on homemade greek yogurt dip and fresh veggies. Mostly cucumbers, celery, or green peppers. The dip is 10 calories per Tbsp. and provides some protein. Drink lots of water!
  • MaydayKoigo
    MaydayKoigo Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I need help with this too, as the only thing that I can think of is berries; raspberries and blueberries etc are really low cal and a bowl of them somehow get rid of that "argh I need chocolate" feeling I get constantly, so a bag of frozen berries might help.
    Xxx
  • jpo1589
    jpo1589 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I also often get hungry at night. I first try to drink a cup of tea to see whether it is a hunger or an appetite. If I'm hungry then I eat low fat cheese, natural joghurt or cucumber/carrot stripes. This often works very well. Though there are some nights where I'm simply craving chocolate so badly.... I usually buy a bar of dark chocolate (70-80%) per week and eat it little by little. But when the craving hits it's sometimes gone within an hour :neutral: I have tried to come up with an alternative and so far this is one mashed banana + natural yoghurt+ 2 tbsp of kakao powder (the natural without added sugar). This is also easily 250 kalories. But I would say better healthy 250 ones than the 500 chocolate ones.
    Any other ways to cope with chocolate craving?
  • CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I like Greek yogurt to forestall evening/night hunger. I have been wondering if chocolate yogurt would be tasty. Have not tried it yet, but it might kill 2 birds with one stone for me.
  • Zinka61
    Zinka61 Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Can you eat chia seeds? They certainly bulk up a frozen banana "ice cream" and make it feel very dense and rich. They add calories, but they also add a ton of nutrition.
  • joseflores1326
    joseflores1326 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!
    I am looking to lose about 5-10 pounds but it is hard because I eat healthy already and have gained weight from adding muscle. My issue is that I eat healthy all day but I am constantly hungry no matter what I eat at night around 8-10pm. Any suggestions on filling snacks? I also am allergic to all nuts so I have to find substitutes for lots of healthy nut options :/ thanks!

• Mcdonnellb19
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Height and weight?
    How many calories are you eating?
    Macros in grams?

Out of curiosity: How much muscle over how much time did you gain.

-I'm 5'4 and 125 pounds. Not sure what the macros means haha but I try to stick to 1,600 calories a day.
    -I started loving the gym last summer and I began at 115 pounds. Within a year I have gained about 10 pounds which brings me to 125 but I have eaten mostly well so should I assume that is from gaining muscle? And I can see myself gaining muscle too.

• Mcdonnellb19
    Options
    sprepej wrote: »
    Can you eat chia seeds? They certainly bulk up a frozen banana "ice cream" and make it feel very dense and rich. They add calories, but they also add a ton of nutrition.

-Yeah! I can eat any type of seeds! What do chia seeds taste like?
  • Mcdonnellb19
    Options
    CoachJen71 wrote: »
    I like Greek yogurt to forestall evening/night hunger. I have been wondering if chocolate yogurt would be tasty. Have not tried it yet, but it might kill 2 birds with one stone for me.

-I enjoy Greek yogurt but at night I really crave something sweet like chocolate and not "breakfast foods". So I tend to go for a skinny cow ice cream or something sweet but it is not filling enough you know?
  • Mcdonnellb19
    Options
    I need help with this too, as the only thing that I can think of is berries; raspberries and blueberries etc are really low cal and a bowl of them somehow get rid of that "argh I need chocolate" feeling I get constantly, so a bag of frozen berries might help.
    Xxx

-Thanks for the reply! I think berries is a good idea, and I was thinking about incorporating chocolate low fat frozen yogurt into a shake with the berries at night! This might help my cravings but still get full!'
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Try a "light" fast.

Eat a small, light breakfast

Normal lunch

and eat the rest of your calories at night. I personally do it. For one, it keeps me fuller, longer. And two, if I eat before I train, even hours before, I feel like complete crap. So training empty has been 10x better for me.
  • LeslieB042812
    LeslieB042812 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    Try a "light" fast.

Eat a small, light breakfast

Normal lunch

and eat the rest of your calories at night. I personally do it. For one, it keeps me fuller, longer. And two, if I eat before I train, even hours before, I feel like complete crap. So training empty has been 10x better for me.

This! It's what's worked for me. I used to always be starving at night because I bought into "breakfast is the most important meal of the day". That just doesn't work for me. Now, I eat a very small breakfast (sometimes just 1/2 a cup of milk in my coffee), followed by a smallish lunch and then a late afternoon snack. My goal is to keep about half of my calories for the evening. This allows me to have a hearty dinner followed by a small treat. :smile:

Also, I find I'm less hungry when I focus on high protein, lower carb, whole foods.
  • LeslieB042812
    LeslieB042812 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    To pass on a food recommendation I learned about on MFP: cottage cheese with cocoa powder (and sometimes berries). You can get the plain, no sugar added powder and it only has about 30 calories for a hefty serving (I can use 1/2 and be happy). Depending on the particulars (what type of cottage cheese, which berries, if you use honey/sugar to sweeten, how much of everything, etc.), you can have a very filling (high protein) snack that tastes like an indulgence for less than 150 calories. Enjoy!
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Height and weight?
    How many calories are you eating?
    Macros in grams?

Out of curiosity: How much muscle over how much time did you gain.

-I'm 5'4 and 125 pounds. Not sure what the macros means haha but I try to stick to 1,600 calories a day.
    -I started loving the gym last summer and I began at 115 pounds. Within a year I have gained about 10 pounds which brings me to 125 but I have eaten mostly well so should I assume that is from gaining muscle? And I can see myself gaining muscle too.

You can still overeat on healthy foods and gain weight. If you've gained, you've eaten above your maintenance level. Calories in v calories out. And you can't know if it's all muscle for sure without taking proper measurements for determining your bodyfat percentage. An average woman can gain 20-25 pounds of muscle over their lifetime, and actually bulking to build that much muscle would put on a lot of fat with it, so the 10 is almost definitely not all muscle. It's doable, but it takes a lot of focus on diet (ie - knowing what macros are) and a dedicated progressive lifting program. Putting on 10 pounds of muscle by accident is rare, especially for a woman.

Do you weigh and measure everything to know your calorie intake is accurate? How did you determine your maintenance amount in order to know what your deficit should be? What are your workouts like? And what your macros (%age of fats, carbs and protein)?

As to your original question, eating well at 1600 should keep you satisfied IF you're taking in adequate protein and fat. Opening up your diary will help people give you some tips.
  • Zinka61
    Zinka61 Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Chia seeds don't taste like anything. I puree 2 T. with a frozen banana, 2 T. unsweetened cocoa powder, a little vanilla and maybe some coconut flavoring/extract, and about 1/4 c. of nondairy milk. You get what tastes like a health foody ice cream with lots of density and a little crunch from the seeds, plus loads of nutrients. Surprising how good cocoa powder is for you! A desert to feel guiltless about--Though you can make fruity versions of this instead. I swap the cocoa for frozen mango and frozen cherries or maybe blueberries, and it's all good!
  • Itreadlightly
    Itreadlightly Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Evening is when I want to munch so I save enough calories and make a big bowl pf air pop popcorn with butter spray.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Carrots and hummus are my go to healthy fillers. The wife makes a frozen banana concoction that tastes like ice cream - just freeze bananas and run them through a processor - add your favorite protein powder, cocoa, cinnamon, etc. for taste. Good stuff!