Vegetable Digestion Issues?

Options
Does anyone else feel like that when they eat their veggies (which are yummy) that their stomach almost cant handle it and it starts to hurt or make you nauseous? Granted I'm guilty of not always having them in my diet, when I do try to incorporate them in, I just feel sick. Will this feeling go away? How long will it take? Or is it more serious?

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Cooked or raw vegetables?
  • super_b_star
    super_b_star Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Have you ever had stomach or digestion issues? Is it certain vegetables or any? Does it happen with anything else?

I like bell peppers,carrots,corn, and onions, so recently those have been the ones I've been going after. I tried to eat a salad bowl with spinach a couple weeks ago and ended up feeling very dizzy and nauseous after.

Sometimes my stomach gets awful after too much coffee (as in more than one cup) but i figured that was...well, because coffee :p

The past two weeks ive been eating eggs,toast with peanut butter every morning, wild rice soup (with some extra chicken and rice, so more of a casserole?) for lunch, and whatever we have available for dinner (some sort of meat). Apples for snacks. And I haven't had ANY issues with my stomach, AND I've lost some weight....this doesn't add up or seem right!

I suppose it could be something very unrelated, but I figured it was worth asking, considering the 'sudden' diet change.
  • super_b_star
    super_b_star Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Cooked or raw vegetables?

I cook them, but maybe not for long enough? They're still crunchy when i eat them
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Did you change from eating almost no vegetables to eating lots of vegetables? Try cooking them for now. Also try eating small amounts. (Save the salad bowl for after things have improved.) :)

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Did you change from eating almost no vegetables to eating lots of vegetables? Try cooking them for now. Also try eating small amounts. (Save the salad bowl for after things have improved.) :)

This was my thought. Apparently this effect is worse with some veggies, particularly broccoli and those in the cabbage family, and if you increase fiber very fast.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    A friend with diverticulitis has to puree her veggies to get them in - suggested by her doc. They make great thick soups and sauces. Perhaps that is something to try. Raw veggies have more healthy enzymes though, and vitamin C is damaged by heat. If you can't get it figured out, get a referral to a gastroenterologist - it's not great for your body to be missing out on the essential nutrients in veggies and fruits.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    I had a similar problem with raw veggies(as well as with some fruits). If I ate more than a small portion, I would get a stomach ache and feel as though everything I ate for a week was just sitting in my belly like a heavy brick. Between my own research and my doctor, I realized it was because my body doesn't handle fiber very well. It was a shame because I would allow myself to eat raw broccoli, celery, peppers, and cucumber to contentment, whereas everything else, I strictly tracked and managed. Once I realized this was the problem, I had to start portioning out my veggies too. :(

It is very weird, IMO, that I never feel this when the veggies are cooked thoroughly.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    fresh vegetable can hurt my stomach, I mean literally feel like it's poking me-like carrots. but that is when my stomach lining is inflamed (health conditions).
    eat small amounts, cook if necessary. chew and chew well
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

This was my thought. Apparently this effect is worse with some veggies, particularly broccoli and those in the cabbage family, and if you increase fiber very fast.

This was my thought as well. Get used to them, eat them regularly, then add more and more variety.