PCOS and low carb

Options
s_y8s
s_y8s Posts: 1,849 Member
anyone with PCOS have success doing low carb? Did it help your body get regulated and did you lose weight?

Replies

• NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS. I'm not insulin resistant though so can eat a normal amount of carbs. I'm losing on average 1lb a week so it's not always necessary to avoid carbs :)
  • xesixb
    xesixb Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I tried the low-carb, but it was almost impossible for me. I love veggies too much. Now I eat normal amounts of carbs 100-150. (Greek yogurt and veggies have lots of them apparently) I did lose weight; 60lbs. Eating on a deficit helps a lot.

I've been on metfomin for 3 years now and only after I lost weight my periods got regular (used to have them once a year)
  • rachelroma
    rachelroma Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I lose weight instantly when I follow Paleo. For most people they can "maintain" doing 80% paleo and still 20% everything else, but I put the pounds back on right away when I quit. I also have thyroid issues though.

I did Whole 30 and by the end of the 30 days had lost an average of around 4 lbs/week. I was eating mostly veggies and fish... some meat or eggs once a day... by the end of the month and felt great. I really need to do that again. :)
  • s_y8s
    Options
    Thank you for your input ladies! :)
  • marmaladepixie
    marmaladepixie Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I have pcos but eat a lot of carbs. as long as I count calories I lose. I also do not have IR though.
  • s_y8s
    Options
    I have pcos but eat a lot of carbs. as long as I count calories I lose. I also do not have IR though.
    Yeah I'm definately insulin resistant. I don't lose a single pound counting calories
  • seckard16
    seckard16 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and insulin resistance. I do flexible dieting, with my macros adjusted to account for my IR. low carb high fat high protein. When I switched to this and added weight training I started seeing results. :)
  • Chewitz
    Chewitz Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I'm trying a low (er) carb diet for pcos

Not loosing anymore than I was before

I can't go too low carb as I have to be on a low fat diet for fatty liver disease
  • Jbarbo01
    Jbarbo01 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Depends on your PCOS, I'd give whole 30 a try or paleo style eating to see if you lose. For my body, I do better eating less meat and more fiber-rich foods even with carbs. Every PCOS body is slightly different.
  • briannadunn
    briannadunn Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    I dont eat grains but plenty of fruits and veges and protein..I lose some and then gain it right back if I have to much sugar..I am insulin resistant but not on anything, low progesterone, adrenal fatigue, autoimmune, fatty liver, pcos in otherwords messed up but slowly getting better..just eat whole foods and minimize the grains.
  • Carissa143
    Carissa143 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi Guys! I'm 32 years with no children. I was just diagnosed with PCOS. I am overweight but not really trying to have children at this time. I was having irregular periods and diabetes runs in my family. My doctor suggested I try to loose about 15 pounds if not more. In addition, My doctor prescribed me metformin and am on the second week, taking it twice a day (500mg x2) eventually getting up to 1500mg. In addition, my doctor wants me to go on the south beach diet which is a low carb diet which you eat certain foods in different phases. Basically you start out eating lean meats, vegetables, and low fat dairy. Anyways now that I'm taking 1000 mg of metformin I find myself feeling nauseous and not wanting to eat anything. I just made a salad and took a few bites before I felt like I was gonna throw up. I take it in the morning with breakfast and in the evening with dinner. I just don't know how to eat without feeling sick from the metformin. This is only the second week I've been on the metformin. I just don't know how I am going to be able to take it three times a week starting next week if I feel so sick taking 1000 mgs this week. Those of you taking metformin- what kinds of foods do you eat while on this medication to avoid the nausea? Any suggestions would be really helpful. Thanks!
    Carissa
  • kinjaljoshi30
    kinjaljoshi30 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi! My name is Kinjal. I'm 30 and have pcos. My doctor said I have to lose weight in order to have a baby. I take 2 metformin a day. I tried to take three but it gives me the runs. Please stay on it, and eventually build your tolerance for the pill. Being diabetic due to pcos does not only affect your sugars but also your liver and kidneys. I have just started on his weight loss journey. I hope you are doing well
  • pollypocket1021
    pollypocket1021 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Carissa143 wrote: »
    Hi Guys! I'm 32 years with no children. I was just diagnosed with PCOS. I am overweight but not really trying to have children at this time. I was having irregular periods and diabetes runs in my family. My doctor suggested I try to loose about 15 pounds if not more. In addition, My doctor prescribed me metformin and am on the second week, taking it twice a day (500mg x2) eventually getting up to 1500mg. In addition, my doctor wants me to go on the south beach diet which is a low carb diet which you eat certain foods in different phases. Basically you start out eating lean meats, vegetables, and low fat dairy. Anyways now that I'm taking 1000 mg of metformin I find myself feeling nauseous and not wanting to eat anything. I just made a salad and took a few bites before I felt like I was gonna throw up. I take it in the morning with breakfast and in the evening with dinner. I just don't know how to eat without feeling sick from the metformin. This is only the second week I've been on the metformin. I just don't know how I am going to be able to take it three times a week starting next week if I feel so sick taking 1000 mgs this week. Those of you taking metformin- what kinds of foods do you eat while on this medication to avoid the nausea? Any suggestions would be really helpful. Thanks!
    Carissa

The nausea is really common. It is not so bad with the extended release metformin, but that is much more expensive, so it's a last resort.

Some strategies to try first are: eating before taking metformin. For a lot of people eating first helps minimize side effects. You can also change up your diet. Some people find that a low carb diet minimizes side effects and others do better minimizing greasy food.

A lot of people notice the side effects get better over time once you get use to the dose.
  • minkky
    minkky Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I'm on metformin for pcos too. I've been taking it for about 2 months. I definitely think taking it after you eat is the way to go. I found it really killed my appetite in the beginning, but it has gotten so much better. I rarely feel the nauseated feeling anymore. And I feel better. I have more energy. My mood seems more stable. And I'm not even eating low carb and I'm losing weight. I eat on a deficit, but it seems to be working for me.
  • wanttobefit300
    wanttobefit300 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I've been on metformin for about 5 months now (for prediabetes to diabetes--not pcos). I take 1000 mg of the extended release just before bed with milk and a small snack. Never had any nausea problems. Incidentally, my metformin is $4 a month at Walmart (without insurance). My goals are set at 50% carb, 25% protein, 25% fat.