How many times do I have to start over?

Options
I think the answer is every single meal and every single day.

I'm 43, and need to lose 60 lbs. I don't have energy to play with my young kids as much as I would like to, and after 10 years as a mom, and 12 years of marriage, I have to stop using my husband and kids as excuses for why I'm not taking care of my body.

I'm no longer wasting the time of my health coach (well intended, but going through the motions just to get health spending account rebates). I talk with them weekly now, confess to real problems (eating my kids leftovers, sneaking food in the pantry I don't want my kids to eat, etc.), and set realistic and very small, achievable goals (drink 8oz of water in a day, order a small take out meal instead of a medium or large one, etc.). But still...the candy bar on my counter is preoccupying my brain.

I say I am committed this time, but I can't promise that in two weeks something else won't come up to steal my attention, making me "too busy" to prepare and eat healthy foods.

For today, I will say I can commit. For today, I could use all the support I can get. For today, I will try my best. And if I fail, I think I will try again tomorrow.

I'm not in any groups and would welcome a support system that is complimentary to my profile above.

Replies

• jesusarolon
    jesusarolon Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    The biggest advice I can give you is save your money and don't buy the foods that serve as temptations for you. The candy bar and snacks you eat to keep your kids from eating them, should never enter your house. Stock up on things like fruit or nuts.

And don't worry, most people fail at loosing weight before they finally accomplish their goal.
  • mec2012a
    mec2012a Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    rbendixen. Keep at it. I am 57. I have battled weight all my life. You are right when you say "I am committed this time" I was committed many times, but I always made excuses for my not staying on track.

I have lost 50 lbs in the last 3 years. I still have 30 to go. I have started over many times during that period. I think that has been the key. In the past when, I would gain weight, I would throw in the towel and not worry about it.

I started planning every day. At the beginning of each day, I log what I am going to eat. On the days or weeks that I fail to follow my plan, I determine that I will start over and stay with it. It is a hard battle, but keep in mind that it is not just a battle, but a war that we are in for the long haul to win.

YES YES YES "For today, I will try my best. And if I fail, I think I will try again tomorrow." Great advice!!
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    I am always messing up but just try again. I am sure it will always be a struggle but I do have some better habits now but occasionally go crazy. Take care of yourself is my motto.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    If you have to keep starting over, your plan isn't working very well. Alter the plan.
  • xquisiteluv
    xquisiteluv Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    SW 250
    CW 212
    GW 150
    want to lose about 50 60lbs myself looking for motivation and friends feel free to add me my name is Luekisha I'm from NJ btw...With the support and encouragement from others we all can do this!! Stay blessed everyone! :)
  • TravelinGal7147
    TravelinGal7147 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Hi all,
    I just signed up yesterday but oh I have started over many, many times at weight loss and no doubt have spent thousands of dollars on my quest. I have even had lap band surgery and I do weigh 60 pounds less than my top weight. But I am up 34 pounds from my lowest weight since that surgery 8 years ago now. The problem is obesity is a chronic condition that requires my constant vigilance. If I can decide that there is no stopping then there will be no starting over. Every day I need to plan and do the best I can do that day. Currently I have a tendonitis in my ankle and while it may not get cured by weight loss it should improve a lot. So right now I want to lose 50 pounds by tomorrow (HAH) but realistically at 69 with a tendonitis that limits my walking I know that if I could successfully lose a pound a week then this time next year I will meet that goal. I think mec2012a's quote rings very true. If I fail I will try again tomorrow. For me I need to remind myself that tomorrow means tomorrow not 6 months or a year later!
  • rbendixen
    rbendixen Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the responses. It was a surprise to see so many strangers write words of encouragement. In my head I know I'm not alone; but the voices are not loud enough to convince me to moderate when I want what I want. I'm looking forward to the day when I'll really not want the junk as often. I know it will come. Thank you again.
  • Aldo4701
    Aldo4701 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Like business and giving up smoking, success comes from persistence and repeatedly trying to achieve goals. Good luck!
  • nyponbell
    nyponbell Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I like your philosophy on one day at a time, and one meal at a time. I struggle too; I can have a great day, but then something is at home (not brought in by me) that I can just eat without thinking. Or at work; just one bite of this or that and I'm back in a craving and a mindset of "the day is already ruined anyway". It's a struggle; a constant one, but it does get better. Whenever I do manage to not eat junk food (for me that's chocolate and occasionally chips; I don't eat junk food-food) for a period of time, when I then do it doesn't taste right; and I get a headache and I feel hopped up on sugar. This horrible feeling is what I try to keep in mind; that's what I don't want to feel and I hope that by being aware of it and thinking of it when I'm standing there in the store about to buy a box of delicious chocolate-something I'm able to put that box back and walk away.

If it's a sweet tooth you're working against; my suggestion is find a good smoothie recipe for a green smoothie you like and make that instead. Not only is it healthy, can serve as a meal (it should, depending on what you have in it since the calories!) but I've always found that the ones I drink are tastier than any chocolate. And smoothies are great ways to sneak in greens and supplements like spirulina without the flavour of it. :)

Good luck on your journey! Small attainable goals to change your life is the best.