Fatty liver nutrition query

Options
lyknthrp
lyknthrp Posts: 3 Member
So, any positive results from detoxing for a crappy liver? I am skeptical of quick cleanses. Or just stick with good ole raw fruits and veggies and stay as organic as possible? How long until you had positive feedback? TIA.

Replies

• techgal128
    techgal128 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with your liver?
  • atiral
    atiral Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Exercise and losing even a little bit of weight can improve it. Detoxes, no.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    How do you know you have a bad liver? If diagnosed by a doctor, ask for advice or (ideally) a referral to a registered dietician, who will have better advice than anyone here, probably.

However, IMO, cleanses and detoxes are scams, there's no need to stay raw, and healthy eating is common sense (and exercise is great).

If you think there's something really wrong from a health perspective or have been diagnosed, talk to your doctor.
  • yorkshiregoal
    yorkshiregoal Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Milk Thistle might be worth considering as a herbal supplement... it promotes detoxification of the liver.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I doubt fruit will help a fatty liver, because sugar.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    lyknthrp wrote: »
    So, any positive results from detoxing for a crappy liver? I am skeptical of quick cleanses. Or just stick with good ole raw fruits and veggies and stay as organic as possible? How long until you had positive feedback? TIA.

Detoxing your liver?

You do realize your liver is what does the detoxing, right?
  • lyknthrp
    lyknthrp Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Yes, diagnosed by dr. Yes, seeing a nutritionist but havent gone yet. Yes, I know your liver is what is supposed to detox your body, mine isn't doing its job well. It's called non-alcoholic fatty liver. Basically, no gall bladder to help cleanse the system and I just got too heavy to maintain proper liver function. So liver is now storing fat. So I need to reverse this, which I understand can take months to years, in order restore and it can be done. So in an effort to take back my health, I have joined MFP with a great support system and am in my way. Just looking for others with experience with overcoming liver-realted health issues and nutrition questions that might have already been answered. Thanks for your support everyone!
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    Yes, diagnosed by dr. Yes, seeing a nutritionist but havent gone yet. Yes, I know your liver is what is supposed to detox your body, mine isn't doing its job well. It's called non-alcoholic fatty liver. Basically, no gall bladder to help cleanse the system and I just got too heavy to maintain proper liver function. So liver is now storing fat. So I need to reverse this, which I understand can take months to years, in order restore and it can be done. So in an effort to take back my health, I have joined MFP with a great support system and am in my way. Just looking for others with experience with overcoming liver-realted health issues and nutrition questions that might have already been answered. Thanks for your support everyone!

Good on ya for starting on the journey. Once you see your dietician, they'll be able to set you up on your meal plans to reverse the damage done (As much as possible).

However, there's no magical detox diet. Food is just food.
  • wmeyerbill455
    wmeyerbill455 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    If one actually follows the recommended daily diet by the surgeon general (new one) you will find it to be, low fat and fairly low glycemic wise as well. Just try eating 4 cups of cooked vegetables a day (new standard). To do it I have to have veggies with my breakfast. I am not fully healed but I got my liver enzymes back to normal after three months of diet and exercise. That doesn't mean my liver is healed but happier. I did drop 30lbs in that time. You will do well too, I am sure. Feel free to send me a friend request if you would like. I still have to work at keeping the weight of every day. Good Luck!
  • discretekim
    discretekim Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    In my opinion. If there is something wrong with your liver. The last thing you want to do is add more chemicals through a cleanse which will make your liver have to work harder.
  • goaliesmate
    goaliesmate Posts: 49 Member
    Options

There is some research that suggests fructose and some sugar alcohols are the main cause of non-alcoholic fatty liver. Cut out any foods that have these added and you will be one step towards improving liver function. Limit fruit to a couple of portions a day. Ditto for high fructose vegetables - lots of lists out there to help you choose foods.
  • besee_2000
    besee_2000 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I'm curious to hear what your nutritionist says about fruits. From what I've read, fructose is the sugar that goes straight to the liver same for the low-glycemic sugar options like agave. (Sucrose, table sugar, raises your glycemic levels which raises insulin levels.)