cant lose the weight.

Options
Hi everyone I have been trying for months to lose at 50 because of medical reasons and can't seem to lose the weight I have tried all kinds of diets exercise weighing my food not even eating on some days and still can't lose the weight please help I don't know what else to do and very stressed out on worried.

Replies

• bikermum81
    bikermum81 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey...Just read your post!!i m facing the same thing too;(

hang in there. And dun give up..we will get there ;)
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    bbylobo wrote: »
    Hi everyone I have been trying for months to lose at 50 because of medical reasons and can't seem to lose the weight I have tried all kinds of diets exercise weighing my food not even eating on some days and still can't lose the weight please help I don't know what else to do and very stressed out on worried.

Hi. Well done on taking the first step. If you can follow MFP's ethos you are going to do great! You will need to commit to counting your calories - that means absolutely everything that goes in our mouth is weighed and the number of calories calculated and logged. If you use MFP to calculate the number of calories you should be consuming per day and stick to that limit, you WILL loose weight.

If you can commit to this for a minimum of 4 weeks you will see a difference, but more importantly you will feel great!
  • NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    What medical conditions, if you don't mind me asking?

What do you currently weigh, what is your height, your goal weight?

I am assuming that you have worked out your TDEE and have logged everything you eat and drink as you say you have tried weighing your food?

How active are you on a daily basis?
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    To lose weight, you need only to eat fewer calories than what you burn. For every 3500 calories less than you burn, you lose a pound of fat. If the things you have tried aren't working, it is probably because you are just moving calories around. You might fast for a day, but you won't lose weight if you eat more on other days. You might exercise, but you won't lose weight if you eat additional calories afterward.
  • Dingaling90
    Dingaling90 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Do you mind if I ask what you're doing to lose the weight? Like, how many calories you're eating and how much exercise you're doing? All it takes is the perfect mixture of the two and you'll be on your way to your goal.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Throw away absolutely everything you think you know about dieting

Take your calories allowance on MFP
    .. weigh your food, all your food

and log accurately, checking packs, choosing MFP database entries with care (non-starred or member confirmations), double-check against other calorie databases.

Eat to your calorie defecit across the week - you can go over and under day by day but do not go over across the week

Move more

Log purposeful exercise - halve the calories that MFP estimates you got from it .. eat those too

check your average weight loss after the first 6-8 weeks against your goal weight loss per week, adjust the number of calories you eat back from exercise accordingly .. refocus on the 'accuracy' of your calorie inputting

and repeat
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    CICO
  • bbylobo
    bbylobo Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    bikermum81 wrote: »
    Hey...Just read your post!!i m facing the same thing too;(

hang in there. And dun give up..we will get there ;)
    To lose weight, you need only to eat fewer calories than what you burn. For every 3500 calories less than you burn, you lose a pound of fat. If the things you have tried aren't working, it is probably because you are just moving calories around. You might fast for a day, but you won't lose weight if you eat more on other days. You might exercise, but you won't lose weight if you eat additional calories afterward.

Timothy yes there is some days I don't eat much but I do not ever eat more another day.
  • bbylobo
    Options
    Do you mind if I ask what you're doing to lose the weight? Like, how many calories you're eating and how much exercise you're doing? All it takes is the perfect mixture of the two and you'll be on your way to your goal.

I walk my treadmill everyday for at least a hour and a half I only eat 1,200 calories a day
  • bbylobo
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    If you have significant medical issues then I would highly recommend seeing your doctor and making a plan together.

Whatever the plan is....starving yourself for a day or longer is not the answer. Additionally your anecdotal evidence shows that it just doesn't work, so why do that to yourself.

Calories in, calories out is the only thing that works, however you need to find the plan that works for you.

I have tried all kinds of diets nd plans nd nothing works for me and my doctor is helping me they this diet but its not working
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options

I walk my treadmill everyday for at least a hour and a half I only eat 1,200 calories a day

And do you weigh ALL your solid food on a food scale and log it?
    Can you open your diary?

• kyrannosaurus
    kyrannosaurus Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Open your diary.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

How do you know how many cals you are eating - do you weigh and measure then log absolutely everything?
  • itsMcKay
    itsMcKay Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Make your diary public and we can help. You've come to the right place!

Are you being honest about weighing all your food and working out?
  • spenrey
    spenrey Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    From experience, if you are not living as you eat or planning up front your meals, then you are estimating how much you are eating and thus calories intake. Start by Weighing as it will surprise how much a usual portion is
  • glenelliott5872
    glenelliott5872 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Don't think if it as a diet but as retraining your eating habits. You must weigh everything. Calories burned can be inaccurate too. So again try not to eat back all of your calories from exercise
  • FitTough88
    FitTough88 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    .Did you know that our emotions also have a lot to do with holding onto our weight? Deal with your emotions. Deal with 'stuff' as it arises, then your can heal from it and move on. If you haven't dealt with your emotional issues, please do so, with a good therapist. And I would say that to everyone, so please do not be offended.
    .Our thoughts and emotions are energy and energy creates our reality...your thoughts and feelings create your reality.
    Weight can be put on as a defence mechanism, as self protection by your own body.
    .Sugar is another huge factor, everything manufactured has WAY too much sugar and/or salt. Your hormones can rule your body.

I have what is now called syndrome X. In my day it was called Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. And I was a walking keg on legs! I have lost over 32 kilos, over many years....with at least 30 more to go. Now, I am ready to take the remainder of weight off my tiny little body. I am small frame, 5ft.2in tall. After being super fit, and I trained as a professional body builder & competed, to being overweight and very unhappy.

.Medications are another huge factor, some medications will make you gain weight.
    When you say that some days you don't eat at all?
    .Did you know that your body will go into starvation mode, and hold onto the fat?
    Our bodies are amazing if you can understand how it functions. You need regular sleep patterns to regulate hormones and all your bodily processes. It repairs itself at night, and needs all the required nutrients to function at an optimal rate.
    .Eat within 1 hour of rising, is optimal.
    .Not enough water will mimic being hungry, so drink enough water...NOT anything else....water is a necessity.

Would you put sand in your gas tank of your car and expect it to run correctly? :) Same with your body, it needs the right foods to heal, grown and function daily.
    Your body needs regular food, foods full of vital vitamins and nutrients, minerals to function at 100%.

I have a garmin watch and I am logging all my food, I am excited about my future.
    I really hope you find support and start losing weight also.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    First of all the word "Can't" isn't going to get you anywhere... If you start a plan with "Can't" in your mind it will never work. Second thing I noticed is you keep calling it a "Diet". That means there's an end point in mind. So do you just want to lose a bunch of weight and go back to how you were living before? Or do you want to get fit and healthy, lose weight and learn how to manage your health for the rest of your life? I would begin by answering these questions honestly before coming up with a sustainable nutrition plan. As another person mentioned you have to eat at a calorie deficit, weigh and measure your foods, get the appropriate portion sizes under your belt, eat more veggies, drink more water and move.... It isn't as difficult as people make it. I know you're frustrated and frustration leads to feeling like you want to give up. I don't really think you have had that "Aha" moment yet. Once you get fed up enough where you're struck with the desire and motiviation to do this for yourself (not for your doctor or anyone else), there will be no stopping you. If you keep doing the same things over and over and you're not getting any results you need to try a different approach. Forget diets, just start small... cut some things out of what you're eating that maybe have empty calories e.g., soda/chips/snack-foods/sweets/ice cream, etc. There is nothing wrong with those types of foods if they fit within your daily calorie target but you'd be better to replace those things with options that have less calories and more nutrients, fruits & veggies. If you eat a lot of breads, rice, pasta, etc. try to cut that in half for a while and see how you feel. Try to put it into your mind that you want to eat to perform. In other words, think about what your daily activites are going to be like and then think about what foods you can eat that day to support your activities. Before you eat something think about it for a minute and ask yourself if that food you're about to eat is going to serve a purpose in your body? If you can't answer that question then don't eat it and find something that will serve a healthy nutiriton plan. Be patient... what you do this week will give you results in a few weeks from now. Baby steps... and be kind to yourself. You know you want to change and that in itself is a huge step. Now make some small changes :smile:

Please note, I'm not an expert or professional, just speaking from experience.

Good luck.
  • snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Being over 50 is not a reason to expect you can't lose weight. At 50 you have slightly less growth hormone and a lower metabolism but it isn't a deal breaker.
    Some medications make weight loss harder..especially at the beginning. Your doctor and you should discuss side effects.
    I would suggest that you don't eat back your exercise calories. Weigh your food. Give it several weeks.