gaining weight with graves disease

Options
Hi name is moon, I recently have been diagnosed with graves disease. My endocrinologist says I need to avoid exercise for the moment, and to not diet. He said it's important for me to eat healthy, and eat enough to be full. I've been depressed and have been eating fast food, drinking some soda (not a hole lot) and eating more candy. I've gained 6 lbs and on occasion the scale says I've gained 9lbs. That's got me even more down. I've fallen off the house, and now I've got quicksand under me. It's interesting that someone with graves can gain weight since the side affects are the opposite. Anyways its good to vent, I've started drinking water more affects that's a step in the right direction. Now I just need to motivate myself to start cooking at home again. I've been so emotional, mainly sad. I've got q very good husband who has been kind and understanding to my new wild emotional breakdowns. I'm so grateful for my life. Can anyone relate?

Replies

• moonlighthearts
    moonlighthearts Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm horrible at typing on my phone, and my grammar sucks, so please excuse the errors in my post.
  • cindytsx
    cindytsx Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I feel you there. I've borderline graves disease and I'm finding it more difficult to be losing weight too. Not exactly gaining weight but not losing weight like how I used to. /hugs/
  • delia_tee
    delia_tee Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Hey. I had a similar diagnosis and it turned out to be the contraceptive pills I was on. Once I stopped and started treatment, things got better. I was dealing with the similar issue of gaining weight despite the symptoms being the opposite in the book. What helped me was to gradually quit soda and cut out the sugars in my food. The last 2 years I have had no symptoms and my hormone tests came out clear.