Become a nutritionist instantly

Options
senecarr
senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
Anyone that wants (US only, double check with your state's legal code, other countries have different rules) can become a nutritionist for the low, low price of one post here. Anyone posting in this thread, I dub thee nutritionist.
In the US, there generally are no legal requirements for using the term nutritionist.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nutritionist#Regulation_of_the_title_.22nutritionist.22
So please, stop saying nutritionist when referring to authorities on nutrition. If you want to talk about people that actually have to have passed some level of competency, the term is Dietitian.

Replies

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Yay, thanks! :smiley::smiley::smiley:

I'll add that to my degree in Naturopathy! ;)

Naturopath_zpsgqzf7mgr.jpg

Get yours here:
    http://thunderwoodcollege.com/
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Priceless.
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    If you want to talk about people that actually have to have passed some level of competency, the term is Dietitian.
    Competent does not always mean good. There are many RDs out there who's advice is questionable to say the least. As with all qualifications there is the good and the bad. Also just because someone is not a RD does not automatically mean their advice or knowledge is bad. MFP is a prime example there are many people here with some great knowledge of nutrition and they are not RDs.

So yes I agree that a RD should be one of the first ports of call if people need to discuss nutrition but you should not except that just because someone has a qualification in something they are any good or because they don't have the qualification they clueless.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    Yay, another useless degree I can add to my stack.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    isulo_kura wrote: »
    senecarr wrote: »
    If you want to talk about people that actually have to have passed some level of competency, the term is Dietitian.
    Competent does not always mean good. There are many RDs out there who's advice is questionable to say the least. As with all qualifications there is the good and the bad. Also just because someone is not a RD does not automatically mean their advice or knowledge is bad. MFP is a prime example there are many people here with some great knowledge of nutrition and they are not RDs.

So yes I agree that a RD should be one of the first ports of call if people need to discuss nutrition but you should not except that just because someone has a qualification in something they are any good or because they don't have the qualification they clueless.

I'd agree. I've heard of dietitians that do give horrible advice, and even PhD's in nutrition science that seriously don't know what they're talking about. That's why I said "passed some level of competency" rather than actually being competent in general.
    My point is generally joking because a lot of people on here say, "I'm not a nutritionist" when giving advice, but in fact, you're only not a nutritionist because you choose not to call yourself one.
  • 33Freya
    33Freya Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Eat Protein.
    YAY ME!!! I'll add it to my resume and qualifications.
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    So good to have another degree :o
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    Options
    Even most dieticians and even some doctors don't know what they're talking about when it comes to proper nutrition. The RD course is actually pretty narrow.

For true knowledge, you have to have had some experience in exercise science, biochem, and/or a plethora of sports coaching/training jobs.