Doctors Orders: VLCD Weightloss Mission

Options
Hi all! I'm Michelle, and I'm here on doctors orders-- I have 100lbs to lose, fast! Tracking my food and activity is a must on a Very Low Calorie Diet, especially when reporting in to the Doc, and this tool will hopefully get me where I want to be.

I know it will be hard, but lets make some changes in our life. :D

Replies

• FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    an actual prescribed VLCD? as in a liquid diet from the doc?
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    Hi Michelle. Welcome to MFP. This is a great site with tons of supportive people. Calories in calories out really does work. I eat everything I like so I don't consider it a "diet". Just watch portions and keep in a calories deficit. Try to get some activity in everyday even a short walk will work. You can do this! I am in your area so add me if you like. I am here everyday! :)
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    How low of a calorie goal are we talking? May I ask why you need to lose it fast? I'm a little surprised a Doctor would prescribe a VLCD without at least trying MFP at 1 pound a week.

To make sure you are being accurate you with your food, I suggest picking up a food scale to weight your solids and measuring cups for your liquids.
  • FitForL1fe
    Options
    if it's an actual VLCD from the doc then there wouldn't be any food logging since it would be a liquid diet straight from the doc.
  • Azexas
    edited May 2015
    Options
    draznyth wrote: »
    if it's an actual VLCD from the doc then there wouldn't be any food logging since it would be a liquid diet straight from the doc.

Sometimes is a liquid, but I've seen too where the doctor will say eat no more than "x" amount calories.
  • FitForL1fe
    Options
    Troutsy wrote: »

Sometimes is a liquid, but I've seen too where the doctor will say eat no more than "x" amount calories.

Ahh gotcha I hadn't seen that. Seems like it'd be dangerous to put someone on a VLCD and then also make them responsible for partitioning the nutrients.
  • daydreams_of_pretty
    daydreams_of_pretty Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Debmal77 wrote: »
    Hi Michelle. Welcome to MFP. This is a great site with tons of supportive people. Calories in calories out really does work. I eat everything I like so I don't consider it a "diet". Just watch portions and keep in a calories deficit. Try to get some activity in everyday even a short walk will work. You can do this! I am in your area so add me if you like. I am here everyday! :)

Hey, I'm also in the area! B)

OP, is this a regular doctor or a "weight loss" doctor? Losing weight too fast just leads to more problems and :( . I went to a "weight loss" doctor several years ago and received a VLCD (and pill/shot). It did not end well, lol.
  • Azexas
    edited May 2015
    Options

Ahh gotcha I hadn't seen that. Seems like it'd be dangerous to put someone on a VLCD and then also make them responsible for partitioning the nutrients.

I agree- I think it can be pretty dangerous, esp when the doctor doesn't really know what they are talking about. When I first started to lose weight my doc tried telling me to eat no more than 800cals a day. I'm losing steadily on 1600. I told him to go scratch. Nurses as patients don't normally end well lol.
  • HoundstoothMFP
    HoundstoothMFP Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Not all VLCDs are strictly liquid diets...
  • FitForL1fe
    Options

I agree- I think it can be pretty dangerous, esp when the doctor doesn't really know what they are talking about. When I first started to lose weight my doc tried telling me to eat no more than 800cals a day. I'm losing steadily on 1600. I told him to go scratch. Nurses as patients don't normally end well lol.

Losing weight @ 1600 cal/day, that's what's up right there.