What to do now that I'm unemployed?

Options
Hello!
With my job, I am unemployed during summers due to it being located on a University campus. However, last summer I gained 14 pounds due to my lack of moving around. This summer I am determined to only lose weight! My job kept me very active for at least 6 hours a day, and on top of that I would go to the gym for an hour every day. Now that I am unemployed, I continue to go to the gym for an hour a day but other than that I sit at home with nothing else to do. I do not live in a neighborhood conducive to going on a 6 hour walk, there are no nature trails to hike, and other than going to the gym for a longer period of time I don't know what else I can do while at home all day. Any tips would be very helpful thank you!

Replies

• pelleld
    pelleld Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Do some DVDs at home. I'm loving the Jillian Michaels ones. Take up a hobby, biking, gardening, play team sports, there's lots of things to do that will keep you moving :)
  • tdjones00
    tdjones00 Posts: 68
    Options
    Have you thought about riding a bike for an hour or so, increasing your time at the gym by 30, or even volunteering some where to keep you busy and/or active.
  • Stooooo
    Stooooo Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    P90X or Insanity!
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Try to increase gym time.... Maybe some workout dvd's for home? How about some summer cleaning to keep you busy? Some volunteering depending on your interests?

Good Luck!
  • danie2010dw
    danie2010dw Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Do You Like Kids?? Maybe Go To Volunteer Ate A Summer Day Program For Childeren Since Theres Losts Of Outside Activity... Or Volunteer Anywhere Thts An Active Program Even Senior Citizen Centers Are Pretty Active Aswell... Id Lookint Things Like Tht.

Good Luck
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Volunteering would help to fill the void. And can't you still use the University gym in the summers?

Might also be a great time to do something like Couch to 5K and join a local running club.
  • kseier
    kseier Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    i do a lot of working out at home. my flavor of the summer is turbofire! it's all about finding something that you think is fun and will get you fired up. call up a friend and go for a walk or a bike ride. doing it with other people is so much more enjoyable, and keeps you accountable. also try group classes at the gym. pick out someone and match their energy throguh the whole class :)
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Stay active, find other things to do! Find a volleyball court nearby and invite friends to join you. It's a lower calorie burn depending on how good you are but it's still good cardio! Swimming? Every town should have a public swimming pool and it's usually only a couple bucks to get in - or befriend someone with a pool if you don't have one.

Honestly, I did best when I was unemployed! Lots of free time to spend more time at the gym. Do some cross training, aka: multiple cardio sessions on different machines, i.e.: 30 minutes elliptical, 30 minutes stationary bike, 30 minutes running or arc trainer, etc.

If you're only doing an hour per day, you can definitely do more! If you're not lifting weights, start. Work your full body for an hour, then do 30 minutes cardio.
  • Jerzeeblondie
    Jerzeeblondie Posts: 236
    Options
    I am having the same problem! I think the other's have made some good suggestions. Unfortunately, I cannot afford a gym membership right now, I've cut back on expenses until I have a job again. But if I did have a membership I'd increase the time at the gym or maybe go an hour in the morning and an hour in the evening. I try to do more cleaning around the house to help keep moving, workout dvd's, and things like that. Good luck!
  • susancelli928
    susancelli928 Posts: 190
    Options
    Do You Like Kids?? Maybe Go To Volunteer Ate A Summer Day Program For Childeren Since Theres Losts Of Outside Activity... Or Volunteer Anywhere Thts An Active Program Even Senior Citizen Centers Are Pretty Active Aswell... Id Lookint Things Like Tht.

Good Luck

This is a great idea... There are always places that you can volunteer that would keep you busy and away from the food. But find something you are interested in or its not going to work