Today I learned..

Options
today I learned that 1 tablespoon of olive oil (and I use to put more than 1 in my salad) has the samecalories and less filling than 2 full oranges..

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Yep.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Yes, but oranges tend to stick to the skillet.
  • dsrabinovich
    dsrabinovich Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Jaja I know but not to my salad :p
  • wanttobefit300
    wanttobefit300 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    But the olive oil will help you absorb more of vitamins and minerals in your salad. Just cut down the amount. I usually use 1 tsp olive oil and 2 tsp of vinegar for up to 2 cups of salad greens. It's a matter of retraining the taste buds. (Don't get me wrong--oranges are really great; they are just not an adequate substitute for dressing on salad.)
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Also, butter has about 7 calories per gram, and olive oil has about 9. And butter tastes better in a lot of dishes!
  • MamaJ1974
    MamaJ1974 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I don't think I've ever put butter on a salad.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Yes but you need some healthy fat too. You need all of the things. The oranges gave you some healthy energy, fiber, carbs, and filled you up. The healthy fat helps satiate even if it doesn't make you feel full. We all feel best of we get the best balance for our individual needs of all the macros and don't deprive ourselves of any of them. That is what MFP is all about. <3
  • bigjack69
    bigjack69 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    oh dear.......I'd rather have an orange !
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    What kind of orange has < 60 calories? It would have to be pretty small.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    MamaJ1974 wrote: »
    I don't think I've ever put butter on a salad.

Why not? It's bomb.
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    What kind of orange has < 60 calories? It would have to be pretty small.

My thoughts exactly. May be it was for literary purposes - it just doesn't sound as good if you say "Today I learnt that 1 tablespoon of olive oil has the same calories and 1.567234xyz oranges" :)

I think we're comparing, ahm, olives and oranges here ;) Not sure how useful that is.