Reverse Dieting

Options
Just wondering what the best way to go about increasing calories after a period of under-eating is? I know roughly what I should be eating, but it's way over 500 cals per day more than I am now: am I better just to jump in and do it, or build up slowly like increasing 100 cals per week? I'm not really wanting to gain weight (a little muscle wouldn't go amiss), just have more energy/life and be healthy again. Is a 'reverse diet' the way to go? How would I go about it?

Any advice appreciated!!

Replies

• Kelly2300
    Kelly2300 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Check out the EM2WL (Eat more to weight less) board. There is a ton of helpful information there.
  • HotKanye
    HotKanye Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I feel like we don't have enough info to answer your question. We don't know if you weigh 90 pounds or 300 pounds. Taking a peek at your food diary you are likely eating at a deficit unless you're tiny. If you're trying to put on muscle you'll need to eat over your maintenance calories. I would probably go for it right away but then again I can think of a lot of things I would love to eat for an extra 500 calories! You could always start by adding a nice high cal smoothie with some nuts or avocado. That would give you a few hundred extra calories right there!
  • Hey_Its_Catriona
    Hey_Its_Catriona Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    HotKanye wrote: »
    I feel like we don't have enough info to answer your question. We don't know if you weigh 90 pounds or 300 pounds. Taking a peek at your food diary you are likely eating at a deficit unless you're tiny. If you're trying to put on muscle you'll need to eat over your maintenance calories. I would probably go for it right away but then again I can think of a lot of things I would love to eat for an extra 500 calories! You could always start by adding a nice high cal smoothie with some nuts or avocado. That would give you a few hundred extra calories right there!

Don't quite know what I weigh, probably around 120lbs at 5'6''. I walk 10,000 steps every day, and either go to the gym for 1.5 hours or run between 5k and a half marathon 6 days per week on top of that, with one rest day. I feel like I already eat too many nuts haha, but good idea :)
  • Arliah
    Arliah Posts: 266 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

Don't quite know what I weigh, probably around 120lbs at 5'6''. I walk 10,000 steps every day, and either go to the gym for 1.5 hours or run between 5k and a half marathon 6 days per week on top of that, with one rest day. I feel like I already eat too many nuts haha, but good idea :)
    Don't you think you're overdoing it a little? Besides, you are already at the low end of healthy weight for your height. Both of those things combined could be an explanation for feeling exhausted. Maybe take it easy for a while?
  • Hey_Its_Catriona
    Hey_Its_Catriona Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Arliah wrote: »

Don't you think you're overdoing it a little? Besides, you are already at the low end of healthy weight for your height. Both of those things combined could be an explanation for feeling exhausted. Maybe take it easy for a while?

No, I like this level of exercise, hence why I'm wanting to adjust my diet to properly fuel that. I can't stand not being active!