any elliptical success stories?

Options
Bearface115
Bearface115 Posts: 574 Member
Hello!! I'm starting the elliptical again and using MFP! I'll eventually move on to another exercise for strength and stuff, but I have 100 pounds I want to lose! But that being said, any success stories with just MFP and elliptical?

Replies

• spudnut81
    spudnut81 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    That's all I have really used, elliptical and MFP. I have dropped about 85 lbs total. I would like to drop another 10 to 15 but that is getting tougher. Just remember it's net calories. You need to fine out what works for you.
  • bzitske
    bzitske Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Same here. I've been doing the elliptical and MFP for about a year. I've dropped 35 pounds. I started running once a week and now that it's nice outside I'll often go for walks in the morning, instead of an elliptical. But I like the machine because I can watch a show on my ipad. I also do yoga.
  • vanessalillian82
    vanessalillian82 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I've lost weight before, without MFP but using an elliptical. In hindsight I was probably eating between 1200 and 1600cal, walking for 30-45 minutes twice per week, walking 1 hour once or sometimes twice per week, 2 half hour elliptical sessions and 1 yoga class, and I lost 1kg every week for 10 weeks. What @spudnut81 said - it's net calories. Find what works with your lifestyle because that's something you'll be able to stick to. All the best!
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    The elliptical is one of my mainstays. I can't run due to my knees so it's the next best thing.
  • p98m571
    p98m571 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've lost 22 pounds in 7 weeks from doing only the elliptical! I feel amazing and its getting so much easier. Try to push yourself a little harder every day... You will be amazed at the results!
  • Carnhot
    Carnhot Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    The elliptical is the heart of my cardio when at the gym rather than walking the lanes near home. My only problem is that the nature of the foot movement means my toes go to sleep after about 25 minutes. Oh, and the more eight I lose, the fewer calories I burn in the time, but that does mean I have upped the resistance to compensate.
  • pineapple_peach10
    pineapple_peach10 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Yep, it's all I use. And I like to walk outside
  • erojoy
    erojoy Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Also add in some heavy lifting. It is super hard to maintain weight loss from cardio alone.
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    I started off using it, since I had one at my house. It took a little while, but I got pretty good at it. I would watch a tv episode while doing it. Then I started going outside instead and running. Now the elliptical just is a storage rack for cloths.

My goal at the time was to run a 5k. The elliptical is good for cardio, but doesn't translate well to road running.
  • laurie62ann
    laurie62ann Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I love my elliptical however my feet go numb after about 15 minutes.
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    I lost 30 pounds mostly using the elliptical and walking in addition to my calorie deficit. Then later I added in strength training and circuit training. I would suggest not waiting, I wish I had started those earlier.
  • bbontheb
    bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    What do the people mean it's the net calories? I'm using a old elliptical at home and liking it. I try to mix it up and do zumba or something on youtube as well but have lost 10 pounds mainly from the elliptical work outs. I only do 30 minutes. By minute 15 I feel like giving up. haha
  • alexistexas33
    alexistexas33 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    in 17 weeks i dropped 40 pounds
  • Mini_Medic
    Mini_Medic Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I lost 40lbs by using the elliptical and mfp to track calories and improve my macros (more protein, less carbs, more healthy fats). I started out doing 20-30 mins every day. I got up to 2 hours each day to get a 500-600 calorie deficit. I was eating 1,200 calories plus about 250 of my elliptical calories back. Steady state cardio is my favorite!
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I'm down ~50lbs over the past 8 months and the elliptical in my main cardio tools. I had a knee injury and wanted to drop the weight first before running again and it worked great. As others mentioned I experienced foot numbness at times, but I pick them up and shift them around and this helps.

I started with 33 mins elliptical followed by targeted weight lifting 3x/week. Currently do 5 days cardio 30 mins on one machine/ do core / 30 mins on another and lift 3x/week.
  • bstoudt369
    bstoudt369 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I've spent many hours on my elliptical during the winter when it was too cold and snowy to walk/run outside. I've lost almost 80 lbs. I have it set up in front of a TV so I can put a movie in the DVD player and forget I'm working out!
  • kschhr
    kschhr Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    It's been a while, but when I was in high school I was taking 2 phys ed classes at the same time and ended up spending about 1.5 full hours on an elliptical a day for 4 days a week, plus walking about 2 miles (to get to the gym). Lost ten pounds during those couple of months, but I never changed my diet. I ate like crap but still lost 10. I'm sure that plus MFP would be awesome.
  • tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Glad to hear these stories, I am back in the gym several days a week and recently mixed up my typical cardio workout of a 3 mile fast/uphill treadmill walk and replaced it on some days with 15 minutes elliptical at level 10 and 20 minutes stationary bike. I am planning on increasing the time on the elliptical, but like others, my feet get numb.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    I use an elliptical for interval training. 30 seconds of goin very fast, like 15mph, then 2.5 minutes at 5 or so mph

It is a serious cardio burn after 8 of those 3 minute cycles... Only 24 minutes. No big deal right?

I love an elliptical!
  • ReadyForWeightLoss
    ReadyForWeightLoss Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I lost 50lbs doing an hour of elliptical 5 times a week . And I would also do other machines totaling in 2hours of cardio a day. I was 15 and very focused on losing weight. goodluck .
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!