How do you deal with people spouting bro-science at the gym

Options
After I lift i like going to the hot tub. Today their was this guy spouting bro-science, and wish he would just shut up. Most situation, i just plug in my Ipod, but couldn't do it due to the hot tub. I wish i could tune the guy out, but he just kept going on, and most people were buying his B.S. people like this can not be argued with, and i just wanted to relax.

What would you have done?

Replies

• kmab1985
    kmab1985 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I just nodd and agree...usually does the trick..
  • jhard728
    jhard728 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I get up and go to the sauna where I can put my ear buds in.
  • andympanda
    andympanda Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    The hot tube helps prevent my muscles from getting to stiff after a good work out. This guy would not shut up, and i just wanted to relax. eventualy did move to sauna and steam room.
  • chicafelix
    chicafelix Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I hate when that happens, and if they really bring me to my limit of tolerance, I bluntly just tell them "As interesting as what you're saying is, I just want to relax in peace and quiet, could you please save your chatter for the change room?" Then they get pissed off and leave, which is a double win for me, the chatterbox leaves, and all the other people present will think twice before engaging in useless chatter. (but I am a *kitten* :wink: )
  • GreenIceFloes
    GreenIceFloes Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    The latest bit of broscience I heard - "Don't have water from two hours before and up till two hours after your workout or you won't burn any fat."
    I don't even know whether to categorize this as broscience or the ramblings of an unsound mind.
  • DesertGunR
    DesertGunR Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    chicafelix wrote: »
    I hate when that happens, and if they really bring me to my limit of tolerance, I bluntly just tell them "As interesting as what you're saying is, I just want to relax in peace and quiet, could you please save your chatter for the change room?" Then they get pissed off and leave, which is a double win for me, the chatterbox leaves, and all the other people present will think twice before engaging in useless chatter. (but I am a *kitten* :wink: )

Pretty much the same thing, except I'm an ***hole and I don't really care what other people like that think about me. Some have had a testosterone reactions to it. At which point I usually just put a towel over my eyes as if they were not there. I have never had them decide to come to blows, despite an occasional threat to. They shut up and leave without satisfaction. A form of blue balls to their underdeveloped brains, so to speak.
  • mzbek24
    mzbek24 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    If he's not directly speaking me, I'd just ignore :P Hate when people speak to me at the gym period...I'm super introverted so I just go into my own world.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    I'd probably just respond as little as possible or avoid appearing interested.

The towel idea might work. Plausible deniability re face protection.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    "deal with"?
  • tomatoey
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    "deal with"?

You are very hard to take seriously in that outfit
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    "deal with"?

haters-gonna-hate25.gif
  • tomatoey
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    "deal with"?

haters-gonna-hate25.gif

lol no it's a good look actually, imo
  • syndeo
    syndeo Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I immediately jump in and cite studies, facts, and nutrition literature to counter act all their incorrect nonsense. Just like I do on the internet :) My wife tells me its character flaw of mine.
  • kerbeya1
    kerbeya1 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    50% fact 50% magic 100% results sorry you refered to the brofessor I had too
  • andympanda
    Options
    syndeo wrote: »
    I immediately jump in and cite studies, facts, and nutrition literature to counter act all their incorrect nonsense. Just like I do on the internet :) My wife tells me its character flaw of mine.

I have the same flaw. These people don't listen.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    nothing...i'm pretty good at tuning people out.
  • andympanda
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    nothing...i'm pretty good at tuning people out.

I wish i could do that. I just hate seeing people spout stupid, and then have other people buy into it. I guess if poeple don't do proper follow through research, they deserve what they get.

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    andympanda wrote: »
    What would you have done?

I'd google it while he's talking, then show it to him. :+1:

There's usually a grain of truth to most broscience. What did the guy say?