french fries

Options
fishshark
fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
so tonight for dinner i will be deep frying home made french fries but im confused how to account for the oil. How would you determin how much oil i will be consuming?

Replies

• Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I measured the oil before cooking, then after. The difference is the oil used for all fries. Then divide by number of fries or by portion to get oil per fry/portion.

I don't repeat this every time, so there will be small differences, but since I make fries may be 3-4 times a year it works for me.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    i just avoid that i make my fries in the oven ;)
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    I don't really have a good answer for you, but I do have a suggestion. Have you ever tried making your french fries in the oven? If you make them on a cookie sheet covered with parchment paper around 400-425 degrees, they get the crispiness and those yummy brown edges without the extra oil, so they are easier to count. We are actually having those tonight at my house. :) Sorry I could not be more help, but I just had to throw that out there as an option.
  • fishshark
    Options

its a treat and would usually do that but im gonna make really good fries with parmesan and garlic!
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Even though this sounds like heaven...I love the Ore-Ida shoestring fries you bake in the oven. In fact, that might be my dinner tonight
  • fishshark
    Options
    I measured the oil before cooking, then after. The difference is the oil used for all fries. Then divide by number of fries or by portion to get oil per fry/portion.

I don't repeat this every time, so there will be small differences, but since I make fries may be 3-4 times a year it works for me.

thats a reallt good idea thank you i was thinking that would be the only way to determin the oil used but didnt know if some gets evaporated as well.
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    fishshark wrote: »

its a treat and would usually do that but im gonna make really good fries with parmesan and garlic!

Then enjoy those dang fries! We all need treats once in a while. :)

• giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    Options
    No advice.

I LOVE FRIED FRENCH FRIES!

That is all.
  • fishshark
    Options
    Emily3907 wrote: »
    I don't really have a good answer for you, but I do have a suggestion. Have you ever tried making your french fries in the oven? If you make them on a cookie sheet covered with parchment paper around 400-425 degrees, they get the crispiness and those yummy brown edges without the extra oil, so they are easier to count. We are actually having those tonight at my house. :) Sorry I could not be more help, but I just had to throw that out there as an option.

i make oven fries all the time! they are super good but just not the same.. its like a very rare occasion i just cant find anything to even try and guess what my calories from the oil will be
  • fishshark
    Options
    No advice.

I LOVE FRIED FRENCH FRIES!

That is all.

haha my point exactly!
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    If I were to make them it would be in the oven. If I fried them in oil I'd consider it a nice treat and wouldn't even worry about the amount of oil used. Then again, if I ate fried foods of any kind I'd be doubled over in pain for hours... I'll opt for a slice of blueberry pie instead :wink:
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    For sure some gets evaporated, but that's the closest estimate you can get I think.
  • fishshark
    Options
    If I were to make them it would be in the oven. If I fried them in oil I'd consider it a nice treat and wouldn't even worry about the amount of oil used. Then again, if I ate fried foods of any kind I'd be doubled over in pain for hours... I'll opt for a slice of blueberry pie instead :wink:

sometiems i wish i craved the sweets but the only cravings my body gets is anything fried.. especially fried chicken and fries ha!
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    oh dont get me wrong lol enjoy it

I just chose to make all my fries in the oven also all my spiced fries. I eat a lot roasted potatoes from fries till slices and wedgies etc. About 3 to 4 times a week and love it.

Garlic Curry is my favorite. :)

Just avoided the oil trouble, was to much of a hassle for me. And when eating several times a week my oven potatoes the calories would add up very quickly when i did that in oil. So concessions had to be made ;) In the oven it is hehehe
  • fishshark
    Options
    For sure some gets evaporated, but that's the closest estimate you can get I think.

thank u for the help! this is what il do!
  • fishshark
    Options
    Just get McDonalds. Still the best fries. Deep fried in animal fat.

they are the best for sure especially when you are lucky enough to get the fresh and super hot.. drool...
  • riderfangal
    riderfangal Posts: 1,965 Member
    Options
    Emily3907 wrote: »

That's how I make them too..yum yum
  • DrPepper000
    DrPepper000 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Just get McDonalds. Still the best fries. Deep fried in animal fat.

Mmm...not anymore. They don't taste nearly as good as they used to.
    http://nowiknow.com/lyin-fries/

Walk into virtually any American McDonald’s and the menu is roughly the same, as is how that food is prepared. The french fries, for example, are processed at a central plant before sent off the local restaurants for deep frying soon before sale. While for many years, McDonald’s restaurants cooked the fries in lard or beef fat, as of 1990, that changed. That year, corporate decided that the “side dish” of sorts was fried in vegetable oil, in response to similar menu changes by Burger King and Wendy’s.