Gym Splits

Options
Bizurke51
Bizurke51 Posts: 190 Member
edited May 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
Hey everyone I'm looking for some tips to work my triceps properly. I've heard that you should only hit triceps twice a week, but the triceps also play a major role in chest and shoulders. So what is the best way to group them?

1. Chest/shoulder and a tricep day?

2. Chest/tris and a shoulder only day?

3. Tris/shoulders and a chest only day?

4 just doing all three on their own day?

Ideally id like find a 3 or 4 day split that of course includes legs, back and biceps.

Thoughts?

Bonus: do you work your traps on shoulder day or back day?

Replies

• Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    Bizurke51 wrote: »
    Hey everyone I'm looking for some tips to work my triceps properly. I've heard that you should only hit triceps twice a week, but the triceps also play a major role in chest and shoulders. So what is the best way to group them?

1. Chest/shoulder and a tricep day?

2. Chest/tris and a shoulder only day?

3. Tris/shoulders and a chest only day?

4 just doing all three on their own day?

Ideally id like find a 3 or 4 day split that of course includes legs, back and biceps.

Thoughts?

Bonus: do you work your traps on shoulder day or back day?

There are many schools of thought on frequency that it's really hard to answer this as it depends on individual goals. For instance, I do one direct triceps exercise once per week, nothing more but potentially not even that depending on how my training is going. My best answer for you is to understand your training goal and Google a program that trains you toward that goal.

• ricardo510diaz
    ricardo510diaz Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Push/pull/legs is what I do. I felt like my triceps were lagging because I wouldn't give myself enough time to work them directly after chest and shoulders; I added in weighted dips, skull crushers which I superset with chest flies, and overhead extensions or push downs. If you work them with chest, as you say you're already working them pretty well with presses, so throwing in 2-3 triceps exercises afterwords will make them grow.

An the split I follow is: Legs/push/pull/off/legs/off/push/pull/off/legs/off/push/pull/off/legs repeat

In regards to traps, I work them on back day as they are worked more in back movements and are a "pull" muscle.