6months post op and feeling discouraged

Options
I had my six month check up today and o onlynlost 16 pounds since the end of Jan I am down 72 or so pounds post op. I once weighed at my highest 424 now 322 I have had a territory time with constipation and vomiting still sometime one bite some time a few and I get sick. I haven't found out what's to much or to little yet. They increase my calories today to 1200 I am worried. I dont want to up them. I hadn't been able to even get out of my wheel chair when out in the community but I call go about ten blocks now. But even that's not helping because I have to move slow and have asthma and have decreased lung cupasity. I try to keep walking without stopping but have to for a few seconds and sip my water.and let my breathing slow. I dont al2ay log because I fear what I will see. I try to make healthy choices but sometimes dont the craving get me. I feel so lost. I also hate my body its lopsided because of a previous surgery that removed a hematoma about six inch across so the had to remove extra tissue because the infection spread. So the left side of my tummy at the pubic line looks ok if that damn scar about four inches above wasn't there and my right side bulges about four inches below the pelvic line. I feel hedious and my top size is drinking but not the lower gut or upper hips. Why oh why. I am so ashamed the doc and nutritionist said I am fine but I am not this is so slow

Replies

• IAMTHEREALSTIG
    IAMTHEREALSTIG Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    If there is no struggle, there is no progress.
    Frederick Douglass

• ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    No body is perfect. I wear leg braces because of paralyzed calf muscles and I have a scar on my back where part of my spine was exposed when I was born and one across my stomach from kidney surgery. Such is life! I am not letting my "imperfections" hold me back. If you have to stop to breathe then do that as much as you need to. I have to do the same thing because my heart beats so fast. ThE longer you do it the more distance you will be able to cover. Never compare yourself to anyone else because EVERYONE has something they are working through.
  • ImitatetheSun
    ImitatetheSun Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    It's a hard journey. You're living the hard truth about obesity, which is that it is a medical condition, with huge challenges and setbacks, and lots of self-care required. I'm only 70 pounds lighter than you, and I can walk four miles without feeling tired, eat 1,200 calories a day and feel satisfied, and break my fixation on a craving and resist a food I shouldn't eat. You've already lost 70 pounds - if you lose 50 or more you'll feel like a new person! Be patient with yourself, and add me as a friend if you need some non-judgmental encouragement along the way. You did a very brave thing by getting the surgery. You definitely have what it takes to keep working on yourself!
  • JanetMMcC
    JanetMMcC Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    "Only" 72 pounds? Think of it this way: the average 10-year-old weighs 70 pounds. You've done a lot for yourself, and will do much more.

From wheelchair-only to being able to walk 10 blocks is also a huge deal. So is the fact that you *are* moving on your own feet, and striving to improve.

You're starting your life over. You wouldn't jeer or sneer at a baby for walking unsteadily. Don't belittle yourself for what you cannot yet do; appreciate what you've done. However slow the improvement, as you keep going you will be able to walk more blocks, and longer without stopping.

And hear your doc and nutritionist. :)

Keep in touch!
  • leraejoy
    leraejoy Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hey thank you all for the comments but here is another one today after getting my calories in I am still hungry. I am also very thirsty. I have been drinking tea this afternoon but its not refreshing at all. And I really need more protein for 5oday but I have went over. No what
  • DanniB423
    DanniB423 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    424 did not happen overnight. This will not happen overnight. But it will happen over time with a positive attitude! All of the things you are doing now.. Is it better than 72 pounds ago? I know it can be discouraging and overwhelming. I have so many days I feel "too far gone" but I remind myself of the saying "a year from now you'll wish you started today". You CAN do this. You have already made incredible strides. I would love to support you and recieve some from you if you are open to a request.
  • leraejoy
    Options
    I don't know how to open a request
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on losing 70 pounds. :mrgreen: You have come a long way. Keep staying focused and taking care of yourself. It is easier to make healthy choices if you are getting all of your protein for the day.
  • dembly
    dembly Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    You've done so well to get this far, what a great start to a life long change..

If you do up your calories, then focus those on being good quality calories..

There are definitely days when the glass seems half empty, those are the days to log in here and read or talk to people to boost you up.. most people here have their own story and if you are typing here you aren't putting hand to mouth!

Hang in there!!!!! Xoxox
  • leraejoy
    Options
    Well from my highest I am down 116 since surgery I am down about 85