Maintaining my Weight Question?

Options
I had dropped from 219.5 to 163 pounds, and feeling really good. I adjusted my calories to maintain my weight and did so successfully for 6 weeks. Today, at 9 weeks, I weighed in again and had dropped to 160. Not really doing anything different that I can think of. Why the weight loss?

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,515 Member
    Options
    Either normal variation, after all 3 lbs is not too much, or you're not eating enough to maintain. I thought I was maintaining. My weight remained stable for three weeks or so, and then I got a whoosh and lost another 2lbs or so.
  • sk1nnyf0rm3
    sk1nnyf0rm3 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    There can be many different reasons for weight loss. It could be that you are slightly dehydrated or that you decreased your salt, resulting in a loss of water weight. Also, there's always the possibility that you are under/over estimating with calories. That's what comes to mind right away for me
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Your maintenance calories aren't a constant. I had to adjust up over the winter after maintaining for ages on the same amount.

As you are fairly new to maintenance it could simply be you feel more energetic and are moving more doing those day to day activities.

Or as stated above if you aren't a frequent weigher you just happened to pick a day when you had a bigger than normal fluctuation. I'm up 4lbs after a big weekend of exercise and eating and won't be surprised to be back down those 4lbs tomorrow. Normal for me.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I did that. It seems my body has set points - and as sjomial said, it varies by time of year. I was stable for a year maintaining then suddenly dropped 5 pounds and sat there for two more without changing anything. I felt like my body just upped it's metabolism a little.

If you stay stable another month and you're happy at that weight just stay with that. If you keep losing, up your calories again.
  • decotterell
    decotterell Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I appreciate it. So, I should be okay to try this until my next weigh in. I generally weigh every three weeks. Thanks again for the advice.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Good advice! See what the next weigh in brings, then adjust calories accordingly! Good job!
  • decotterell
    decotterell Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Weighed in two days ago and was 159.5. Believe that I'm happy with that. If I lose any more I may increase the calories a little, but I feel really GOOD.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Excellent! It's nice to find a good balance.