Iron.

dufus12
dufus12 Posts: 393 Member
Anyone out there know much about nutrition and iron levels? I have had major differences in my blood work since Dec, esp for Iron. Before I get onto Dr Google - just wondering if any of you know enough to give some idea as to what might be going on.......

Replies

• dunlol
    dunlol Posts: 57 Member
    Do you eat a lot of dairy? Also, do you get enough iron each day? Lastly, do you eat a lot of oatmeal? Oatmeal has molecules that reduce absorption of iron by chelation (binding on multiple sites). Dairy idk why, maybe excess calcium, I know that causes reduced absorption of other minerals.
  • cassiearmon
    cassiearmon Posts: 7 Member
    There's nothing wrong with low iron as long as it isn't in the realm of anemia. High iron levels are actually very dangerous and have been linked to cancer. You can always talk to your dr about supplementing or you can start throwing more spinach in smoothies/salads/whatever.
  • kisosborne
    kisosborne Posts: 5 Member
    Iron stores in your body can fluctuate greatly based on several factors, one of the most common being a mensturating female. Also, diet has a good bit to do with it as well as your body's absorption ability. As the first poster pointed out, there are several kinds of foods that limit your body's absorption, and other factors (such as vitamin C consumption) increase the absorption. I work in hematology and treat iron deficiency routinely. If you have any other questions or any more information/factors to add, let me know.
  • dufus12
    Thanks everyone for input.
    I don't eat much dairy, but that is relative - I only eat cheese now and again.
    No oatmeal.
    My last 3 blood tests in 5 months have gone 47 - 35- 11.
    Anyone can help point in my right direction as to why excessive and then so low??? I have not changed diet dramatically......just added just hemp powder into some smoothies.......
  • kisosborne
    What are the numbers? They should represent either a percentage, serum iron, or ferritin level. If you've lost any blood during this time frame it would definitely explain the difference. Also, you didn't have a blood transfusion for any reason?
  • kisosborne
    Basically, I'm saying the main reason iron levels would change like this is blood loss of some form. Usually it's from monthly periods in a female.
  • dufus12
    Not that, Kisosborne. So we can rule that out,
    It serum iron level....does that help?
  • dufus12
    The numbers are above in the previous reply
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    @dufus12 Have you stepped up your exercise routine in a major way since your iron levels started dropping?

Do you use NSAIDs (ibuprofen etc) on a regular basis?

Something else in your life has changed other than making hemp smoothies, the trick is to figure out what.
  • dufus12
    @mwyr - nope to both.
    I am trying to figure out any differences but so far, have come up empty handed......very frustrating!
    But thanks to everyone who answered. Much appreciated....
  • Christine7656
    Christine7656 Posts: 24 Member
    I'm sure you know this already but do not supplement with iron unless you've had blood work done that shows you need it. As someone else said it can be harmful if you don't actual need it.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    dufus12 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for input.
    I don't eat much dairy, but that is relative - I only eat cheese now and again.
    No oatmeal.
    My last 3 blood tests in 5 months have gone 47 - 35- 11.
    Anyone can help point in my right direction as to why excessive and then so low??? I have not changed diet dramatically......just added just hemp powder into some smoothies.......

We really can't. Surely your doctor can tell you if this is a worry, and follow up on it.

It's a medical issue and not something to get advice on from the internet or try to handle by playing around with food choice on your own. My mother had radically varying iron levels (I don't know what they were or what the numbers should be without looking them up), and it was related to an underlying medical condition. Not saying that's the case for you--there can be non serious reasons--but I'd follow your doctor's advice as to whether it needs to be checked out more, etc.
  • dufus12
    @lemurcat12 - thanks for the advice, but don't worry, I was just wanting some input in general before speaking to my doctor next week so I perhaps knew a little more about what to ask and what to concentrate on.......unfortunately, my doc is of more use if you have an idea of what is wrong with you before you speak to him!
    Just wanted some thoughts on subject, just to give me some heads up in case someone had some experience or knowledge.

It took two docs to notice my excessive iron levels and now no one has noticed it has plummeted! Fills me with confidence!!! Duh,,,,,