You may want to stay out of Lane Bryant...

Options
Atlantique
Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
...once you've lost weight.

I have just come back from bra shopping, which women know is not always an entertaining task under the best of circumstances. I went to Lane Bryant because it is so easy to find decent bras in larger cup sizes. No, I do not fit into any of their clothes(even at my heaviest) but it's hard to beat their selection of bras if you are a band size 36 or larger. I've bought bras there for years, and as recently as 2 months ago. But now those bras were too big; I guessed I was now a 36 band size and off I went.

No one was overtly rude to me. It was more like conscious neglect.

The first lady I spoke to, who I think is the manager, told me it would be hard to find a 36 on the floor and that it might need to be ordered. I explained that I'd prefer to try the bra on and so I'd look.

So I looked for about an hour and managed to find 3 bras in a 36 band size. Not once did anyone ask if I needed help or -God forbid-HELP me look.

I was almost in tears when I left.

Not a good time.

Replies

• perrytyra
    perrytyra Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    That's horrible. DId the bras fit? If you can measure yourself, I would buy online from now on. I love Lane Bryants Bras. I thought that I would have to buy a different brand after I lost my weight.
  • tananichelle
    tananichelle Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    You should send this post directly to their corporate offices, word for word. I always hear of "big girls" complaining that they're overlooked because of their size, but what they did to you was exactly the same thing.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    That is terrible, customer service has gotten bad in many stores. I only buy bras when Victoria's Secret is having their semi annual sale. The girls are always helpful, they even go pick up new sizes or styles while I'm busy in the dressing room. I find many size 36 there with lots of support.
  • mericksmom
    mericksmom Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    If you can please find a Fredricks of Hollywood. They have small and large sizes and carry up to a F in stores. The will measure you if you ask and if you are trying on corsets they will assist you in that too.

I am sorry that the people at Lane Bryant was neglectful with helping you. It can be a hit and miss depends on the stores in your area. I tend to only shop stores that associates go above and beyond for their customers. My favs are Torrid and Fredricks of Hollywood because of their associates really being so helpful in stores. While places like fashion bug and Layne bryant are hit and misses and not always the top of their game.

BTW Fashion Bug and Lane Bryant are sister stores....but fashion bug carries JR and misses sizes so they may have your fav bra there but in a smaller band size.
  • fzyfrog
    fzyfrog Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    The Lane Bryants in my area don't even carry size 36. The smallest size is 38.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I've never been in a Lane Bryant, but I'm surprised you have a hard time finding size 36 bands at 'regular' stores. I'm built like an Amazon woman with a large frame. Even at my thinnest, I need a 36 band just to fit around my ribcage alone. I've never had any problem finding them (or even 38's) at places like Kohl's, Victoria's Secret, Penney's, etc.

I never would have thought to shop at a Lane Bryant for a 36 band. I think you definitely need to shop someplace with better size selection and a more helpful staff. :-)
  • alexbowser
    alexbowser Posts: 322
    Options
    This is really disappointing to hear. I'm not really interested in their clothes, but I love their bras. I've bought them exclusively for years. I guess I'll have to switch brands when I finish losing weight.
  • hottamolly00
    hottamolly00 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Reverse discrimination... well, it's descrimination either way you look at it.
  • hotonice
    hotonice Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I think fredericks of hollywood is fantastic...the place near me always has great sales, the people are helpful and their bras fit way better than victoria's secret : )
  • perrytyra
    perrytyra Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I've never been in a Lane Bryant, but I'm surprised you have a hard time finding size 36 bands at 'regular' stores. I'm built like an Amazon woman with a large frame. Even at my thinnest, I need a 36 band just to fit around my ribcage alone. I've never had any problem finding them (or even 38's) at places like Kohl's, Victoria's Secret, Penney's, etc.

I never would have thought to shop at a Lane Bryant for a 36 band. I think you definitely need to shop someplace with better size selection and a more helpful staff. :-)
    I am guessing she shops at Lane Bryant for their Cacique brand bras. They are the best bras I have ever tried.
  • therealkittymao
    therealkittymao Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    They are closing locations all over the place, and I tell you it is NOT because of the recession. I went in there to look at the clothes for my sister and the salespeople were totally dismissive to me. I was really surprised! I am not a 14 but I am about a 12... and I used to be a 24! I just thought we were all sisters, you know? It's a bummer.

And what's really weird is that I can report having almost that exact experience at a mall in central IL AND at one near Chicago. They must really de-emphasize customer service when they are training their employees.
  • therealkittymao
    therealkittymao Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    They are closing locations all over the place, and I tell you it is NOT because of the recession. I went in there to look at the clothes for my sister and the salespeople were totally dismissive to me. I was really surprised! I am not a 14 but I am about a 12... and I used to be a 24! I just thought we were all sisters, you know? It's a bummer.

And what's really weird is that I can report having almost that exact experience at a mall in central IL AND at one near Chicago. They must really de-emphasize customer service when they are training their employees.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options

It's not the band, it's the cup size. Depending on the bra, I'm either an E or an F. It's hard to find F.

But yes, I'm going to have to call around and find a store that has them.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    It's not the band, it's the cup size. Depending on the bra, I'm either an E or an F. It's hard to find F.

Oh, OK... that makes more sense now!
  • jpehlke22
    jpehlke22 Posts: 2
    Options
    Oh no! That's terrible! I work at a Lane Bryant and I will tell you we are definitely trained in customer service. That should NOT have happened. I can tell you different locations sell different sizes based on their level of store. The one I work at does not carry extended sizes (F,G,H) and band 36 is very difficult to find, unfortunately. We are not shipped very many and the ones we receive are sold very quickly. I would call that store and ask to speak to the store manager (not just the manager on duty) and tell her
    about your experience. I hope you will give Lane Bryant another chance, even if it means shopping at another location!

Julie
  • Newmammaluv
    Newmammaluv Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Women tend to be horrible and catty... I would say 90% of women I meet in "real life" have a chip on their shoulder or something to prove. It's annoying and I am SURE that because you are thin now and they have most certainly gotten the cold shoulder in many stores that don't specialize in extended sizes it was a knowing decision to somehow get back at all skinny women by ignoring one. It's awful but it's typical.
  • mericksmom
    mericksmom Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Frericks of Hollywood.....I will say it again. I am a 38 F check out their online bras http://www.fredericks.com/bras/bras,default,sc.html