So hard

Options
I've only been at this for a little bit but I'm finding so hard to not give in to cravings. For example I caved in today and had Taco Bell for breakfast. I know it's bad for me but it's just easier. Ugh just not starting today off well. I have to better and learn to control my cravings.

Replies

• Soopatt
    Soopatt Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Give in to cravings, just limit portions. Spread the good things over multiple meals and you can fit them into your calories. Buy the Taco Bell, just split it in half and have half now, half for lunch. When I realised that I could have whatever I wanted I just had to wait a few hours for the next bit it was a revelation.

That is what worked for me anyway - no forbidden foods.

The mac and cheese I cook does not all need to be eaten NOW but it can still be eaten ;) I have a toffee and wholenut Milka bar which I am eating my way through over several evenings, 2 rows at a time.
  • glortard
    glortard Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Relax as the poster above says there are no forbidden foods. The only thing I would say is just record everything
  • headwind2015
    headwind2015 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Soopatt wrote: »
    Give in to cravings, just limit portions. Spread the good things over multiple meals and you can fit them into your calories. Buy the Taco Bell, just split it in half and have half now, half for lunch. When I realised that I could have whatever I wanted I just had to wait a few hours for the next bit it was a revelation.

The mac and cheese I cook does not all need to be eaten NOW but it can still be eaten ;) I have a toffee and wholenut Milka bar which I am eating my way through over several evenings, 2 rows at a time.

I couldn't agree more with this sentiment! Great advice.
  • zillagirl1713
    zillagirl1713 Posts: 4 Member
    Options

<3 thanks for the advise! I'm going to have to start doing that, it'd be lots easier then just not eating the foods I really like!
  • awesomejdad
    awesomejdad Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    it is simple @zillagirl1713 . Don't worry about eating Taco Bell, only worry about eating to much Taco Bell. Stay within your daily calorie, carbs, protein, fat goals. Moderation......
  • Azurite27
    Azurite27 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Learn to eat the foods you like in smaller portions that fit in your calories and macros while expanding the list of foods you like. Don't give up anything you're not willing to go without for the rest of your life. I actually like Taco Bell because if I get their nonloaded tacos or other smaller portions it usually fits nicely within my protein and fat goals.
  • xquisiteluv
    xquisiteluv Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    SW 250
    CW 212
    GW 150
    want to lose about 50 60lbs myself looking for motivation and friends feel free to add me my name is Luekisha I'm 26 a mother of 2 and I'm from NJ btw...With the support and encouragement from others we all can do this!! Stay blessed everyone! :)
  • debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Soopatt wrote: »

This is awesome advice!

Also, start slow and make small changes that you can make last a lifetime. For example, I switched from hand tossed pizza loaded with pepperoni, sausage, and extra cheese to a thin crust mushroom (sometimes with pepperoni). I save hundreds of calories this way, but I still get to have my pizza. Another change is I buy a big bar of quality dark chocolate and eat a small square every night after dinner. I get the chocolate that I am wanting without eating a full sized candy bar, again saving a couple hundred calories. Good luck to you! Feel free to add me if you would like.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about bad and good at this point- you'll have a lifetime to tweak your diet- just the calories. And I might suggest, try not to overdo early and set yourself up for having to deprive yourself later in the day.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I just had a bowl of ice cream topped with berries and chocolate chips. It was amazing. And I still came in 400 calories under goal for the day.

It is okay to enjoy foods you like. In fact if you make sure to enjoy them ,in moderation, every day you are going to have more success and be far less likely to binge eat.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I agree with everything said above. In addition, it's easier to deal with the weakness of hunger if you have prepared and ready-to-eat food right there when you need it. That has prevented most of my former tendency to eat out at the last minute.
  • Jaxxie1181
    Jaxxie1181 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    My Nana lived to be 94. She was never, in her entire life, overweight. She lead an active lifestyle up until she passed and her motto was, "eat anything you want...in moderation". If she wanted wine, she drank a small glass. If she wanted cheesecake, she ate smaller portions at dinner. If she wanted spaghetti with meat sauce, she wouldn't eat the garlic toast. It's way better than depriving yourself.
  • LilannB
    LilannB Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Fast food is tempting and hard to give up. Keeping a food diary at MFP and seeing just how bad fast food can be helped me with my cravings for it. Fast food is loaded with calories, carbs, fat and sodium. Knowing that makes it easier for me to avoid.Now I eat almost all of my meals at home which saves me lots of money.I can actually make a home cooked meal for $1-1.50. I give myself one reward meal a week of one of my old favorites. So I haven't given up any of the foods I love I just make better choices.
  • lonerockz
    lonerockz Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Debubble's advice to start slow is really good. Many people want to lose 3-4 lbs a week and get dejected when they don't. That kind of thinking is like saying I want to learn do drive, I think I'll try an 18 wheeler first. Set modest goals, work to achieve them, then ramp it up. I started by walking 2 mile hikes on Saturday and Sunday and getting my steps to 5000 a day on weekdays. I cut my food to 2000 calories a day. I lost 6lbs in the first month. But hey that was 6lbs! Then I moved to 1800 calories, now I'm doing 5000+ calories of exercise a week and many days I only eat 1600. 7 months later and I'm down 45lbs! Still have more to go, but I now have patterns of success.

Good luck! And don't fret the bad days! Just celebrate the good ones.
  • lolagranola1
    lolagranola1 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    It is hard, but it does get easier. It takes time to get a hold of. I am a junk food junki from way back! Today, for example, i had all the wrong foods. I was over on my calories, fat, carbs, and sugar before 2pm. Being that i logged everything i knew i would have to exercise today, and eat a very modest dinner. I did still go over my goals for the day... but because i had a goal, i didn't go too far over. My work provides an insane amount of junk food on fridays. All week i prepare and stick to a hard plan, because i know i will have too much tempting me on fridays. And I've cut way back on my allowances on friday.My goal for next friday is to only allow myself 1 donut instead of 2. Last week i had 3. The week before, i didn't even count them. To me, thats a victory. My point is, it does take time. You can do it. Just keep setting new personal goals using the guidance of this app. After a while, you will automatically make better choices. I love to eat. That will never change. I gotta eat to live, not live to eat. That's my ultimate goal.