The brutally honest doctor that changed my life

Options
So, here I am again. I used to be a regular on here back in 2010. My name is Sara, and I'm 29 and from Jacksonville, Florida.

I was told by several doctors after much research and testing that I was a classic case of PCOS. Super overweight, irregular or nonexistent periods, facial hair, etc.

Eventually, I went to a doctor who looked me dead in the eyes and said -- "Ya know, I'm not going to slap you with a name of disease to blame for your issues. You need to get your *kitten* on a treadmill, that's all. When you're so overweight, it causes your hormones to be out of whack. You will likely never be able to have a child unless you lose at least 80lbs."

I know that would horrific. What kind of bedside manner is that? I was horrified. HORRIFIED. I was 24 and knew my husband wanted to have a child, and finding out this news felt like I had been hit with a ton of bricks.

A few weeks later I joined a gym, got an amazing workout partner (my best friend!) and worked my *kitten* off. 10 months and 94lbs later and BAM! I was pregnant.

Really bad post partum set in. Really bad. Different medications later and I had gained back every single pound that I had lost PLUS an extra 25lbs. Yep. And that was by the time he was a year old.

Now he is almost 4 and the love of my life. 6 months ago, I decided to get it together. I started back to the gym and several times a week, tracking my calories on here at a solid 1200 a day and not being too hard on myself.

Now I am back down 64lbs! I couldn't be happier with the progress I have made this year so far. I'm not dependent on anyone, but everyone is supportive and I am able to take my son with me to the play area at the gym and he just loves it!

Long story short I just want to help encourage and be encouraged by people who are like me, and have similar goals in mind. I still have about 70lbs to lose, so I would love to make friends with people who need to lose a similar amount of weight and who are active on the side not just like likes but with status updates and comments!

Replies

• lolagranola1
    lolagranola1 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am exactly in that same boat. I am and have been struggling with this pcos for years. I am now borderline diabetic. I have metabolic syndrome/insuline resistance. I am really motivated by fear right now. My hemaglobin a1c was 6.2, at 6.3 you are considered diabetic. Triglycerides are through the roof, not to mention, i am miserable in my clothes. So, i am working on loosing at least 65-70 lbs. My current goal is 10. I will take it off 10 at a time until i reach my ultimate goal! I am also sending you a friend request. Good luck!
  • rdahlquist42
    rdahlquist42 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm in a similar boat, im not trying to have children any time soon, but I am borderline diabetic (and that was years ago, really I need to get back in to see a dr.) I was down 40 lbs and then over time gained it all back and then some. Really working on trying out a more PCOS specific diet to help me. Small goals seem to be helping slowly.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    We need far more doctors like this to cast aside PC nonsense and state the root cause.

Outstanding that you became stronger for it!
  • jorinya
    jorinya Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    In January this year i stood in the hospital obs room, (I'm living in Nigeria), and stood on the scales and saw 95kg or 209lbs staring up at me. The nurse shook her head and in Yoruba said "this white woman is very lazy, how can a Nigerian man be married to her?" She didn't know I understood her language. Then in English said "you need to lose weight, get off your chare and do some work". I was so upset!! They all were laughing at me and shaking their heads. I felt so low I wanted to do something about it. I turned to a bottle of vodka but only had two glasses. Drinking wasn't the answer! When I asked for help from the doctor that day all I got was get moving and change your food. How? No answer! I was alone. My husband went to the clinic in his workplace and was told about Cambridge Weight Plan. After talking to the doctor about it, I started. Due to typhoid I had damage done to my stomach so shakes were great for me. In march I weighed 200lbs and now im 171lbs. The nurses really upset me but instead of giving up I pushed myself.
  • shaibutta31
    shaibutta31 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    YES!!!
  • bussyfeso
    bussyfeso Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Great choice