Pedometer & Calorie Question

Options
Hi everyone!!!
I have a question about using a pedometer. Our work gave us an amazing medical pedometer for a contest thing we are having at work. It measures your steps and the calories you burned.

My question is, should I count those calories in my daily calorie burn? I normally count my calories burned when I go to the gym because I actually work out hard.

The calories counted on our pedometer are for any walking or steps we take in general. Say we walk around our office, walk during lunch break or walk to the lounge, our calories & steps are being counted.

Im just wondering if I should take the calories I've burned using the pedometer into consideration since Im not actually working HARD but just walking around...

Hope this makes sense. Any help would be great appreciated. Thanks!

Replies

• rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I have the same question. I have just been counting the time I am walking specifically for exercise. The extra steps are just a bonus, but I don't log them.
  • RajwaJ
    RajwaJ Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    If you are wearing it in normal daily life like work, I wouldn't add it. Thats because those calories are already accounted for in your activity level. Its interesting seeing how much you burn in a day though.
  • ammingjay
    ammingjay Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    My work does the same thing (Virgin healthmiles) I don't count it since most of it should be in your daily allowance. However if you want to use it for a specific run/walk to help you do the distance that would not be part of your normal activities. Here's how I do it

normal step average ~7000 steps
    say I run 3 miles that gets me 3000 steps so I would have about 10k for the day, I would only count that last 3k as exercise

Our program also lets you log using a HRM so I use that more for exercise... Overall it's a really great tool!
  • Tat2dMommy
    Tat2dMommy Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Maybe I should just log what I am burning during my brisk walks during break? I barely walk during the time I am at work. I sit alot and only get up to make copies/fax something/go to another persons office.

Like today, I walked about .75 miles during each break (11-15 minutes each break)

What do you think?

I don't want to cheat, but hey, I need all the calories I can get! lol

I burn about 500 to 550 at the gym when I work out
  • ammingjay
    ammingjay Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Maybe I should just log what I am burning during my brisk walks during break? I barely walk during the time I am at work. I sit alot and only get up to make copies/fax something/go to another persons office.

Like today, I walked about .75 miles during each break (11-15 minutes each break)

What do you think?

I don't want to cheat, but hey, I need all the calories I can get! lol

I burn about 500 to 550 at the gym when I work out

IMO I probably wouldn't count it since you are already going to the gym. It also depends on what activity level you set yourself at. If you listed yourself as sedentary then I'd be more likely to count the break walks. But if you listed yourself as one of the other categories then you are already getting credit calorie wise for that activity. I hope that helps