Weight watchers???

Options
ive lost 4 stone so far and I'm really struggling with the last two stone thinking of joining weight watchers anyone had any good or bad experiences??? Thanks

Replies

• punkuate
    punkuate Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Well done on losing so much. I'm not a fan of weight watchers because the amount of "free" foods would just encourage me to eat bowls full of them. It's also quite expensive. However, some people do benefit from knowing they'll be weighed in front of people to stay motivated but if you speak to your local GP surgery it may be something they can do through their nurses.
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I prefer free diet/exercise programs (Oh look, we're on one!)

WW really isn't any different than counting calories other than:
    a) they build in more room for error with "free" foods (if it ain't water, log it 'cause its got calories)
    b) they charge an exorbitant amount
    c) they have in "class" or one-on-one meetings for a price

I suppose, if you need that in-person support, maybe it's worth it? My mother (who is still obese) has done WW on and off her whole life, so as a child, so did I. I never lost weight on it because the reality is, I like fruits and veggies and a lot of those were considered "free" foods. If I just didn't add up all of mine from a normal diary day, that's typically 400+ calories I wouldn't be counting. My daily deficit it about 400 cals now, so I just wouldn't lose weight. Ever.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I did WW 6 years ago... I did lose weight but I was ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS hungry. I kept telling them I thought they had my points wrong but they kept telling me it was science and there was no way they had my points wrong I was just eating the wrong things. On MFP I'm rarely hungry and I understand my calorie intake more.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    i lost weight on WW years ago and it is one of the best weight-loss programs if you want the structure of a program. What seems to help is the support and encouragement you get. Figuring points made me crazy, though...all I did all day is think about food, points, etc. i would try it and see if it helps. Can you join an introductory program where they waive the initiation fee?
  • mummyadele84
    mummyadele84 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone yeah I've found a coupon for free registration and first meeting so might give it a try although I'm a bit skeptical
  • skylarwalsh
    skylarwalsh Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I did WW a few years ago and lost 50 pounds. I really liked it and truly, the only reason why I'm not on it now is because I found it difficult to go back on it after I stopped the first time. It's strange because it's not that much different than counting calories (other than free fruits, which for those of you who think you'd abuse it, WW kinda assumes you will and gives you your daily points based on that). So, you could try it, but the difference between MFP and WW is mainly price. I'm seeing similar loses now that I did 3 years ago on WW.
  • runmama411
    runmama411 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I had great success in the old WW plan (2009), the new plan, not at all.

I've had great success on MFP so far.

The only thing I would recommend WW for would be for the weekly meetings and weigh ins. If you need encouragement and accountability, this is the place for you. However, it's hard to find a good leader, so try a few before you commit. Good luck!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    ive lost 4 stone so far and I'm really struggling with the last two stone thinking of joining weight watchers anyone had any good or bad experiences??? Thanks

What's wrong with MFP?
  • MrsLouiseHills86
    MrsLouiseHills86 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I do slimming world and have lost 3 stone on that? I struggle On weekends though and this app helps as I calorie count rather then do slimming world
  • Thelinna
    Thelinna Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I know people who have had success with it, but I haven't met anyone who's had lasting success using weight watchers. I've seen more last success using just MFP.
  • tracie_minus100
    tracie_minus100 Posts: 465 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I used to be a member. The meetings can be very helpful. There was a good variety of people at the meetings: people who were brand new, people who were struggling, people with 100+ pounds to lose, people who had reached their goal and kept it off for years. My best friend lost over 50lbs with weight watchers, and has now been a lifetime member for 7 years. So it can definitely work. But I decided not to go back because of the cost, and because I prefer counting calories rather than points.
  • rejectuf
    rejectuf Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Everyone I've met in the real world that has done weight watchers lost a little weight and then immediately gained it all back.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I think WW is a great program. People who freak out over the "free" foods aren't doing it right.

First of all, the only "free" foods are fruits and non-starchy vegetables. It's not like ice cream and cocoa puffs are "free".

Second of all, those that actually learn and follow the program correctly understand that no foods are "free"; they are "zero points". And yes, there is a difference. The zero point foods are not a free for all. You are not told that you can eat as much as you want. You're told to eat "to satisfaction", which is a good skill to learn.

As someone said up-thread, the zero point foods are factored in to your point allowance. WW gives you a lower amount of points than you should really be consuming, to compensate for the fact that you will be eating zero point foods TO SATISFACTION, not gluttony. I lost 35 lbs on WW eating a veggies and fruits (even high calorie bananas) and not logging them.

Now, the downside: While I don't find the online program to be "exorbitant" (I was paying $20 a month), if you go all out and want to go to meetings (which I did back before there was an online program, and found them pretty useless) it will be more than twice that, and yes, that is a lot to pay for a weight loss program. Especially since, I'm told, the meetings have turned into little more than a sales pitch for WW products.

The real problem for me, and the reason I canceled my membership and switched to MFP, is that the website is terrible. Very glitchy and antiquated. The site is constantly down for "upgrades" but no one ever sees the results of these upgrades. When I starting getting kicked off the mobile app virtually every time I tried to get on, I knew it was time for a change. I'm not going to pay for something when the tools that are supposed to help me rarely work.

The switch to MFP was easy and I'm doing well (and saving money, which is always good).
  • MK24551
    MK24551 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I tried WW, love all the resources, but HATED figuring out the formula, counting calories is way easier for me. And I felt so restricted, ALWAYS hungry n ALWAYS thinking about food while on WW. Not at all while counting calories. :smile: Good luck in whatever you do!
  • yweight2020
    yweight2020 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Any program works if you stick with it WW worked for me I would lose at least fifteen pounds before I fell off, I got tired of counting points and just being accountable. I say if you can afford it the online portion is ok, but MFP is better and free. I went back to WW last year and was turned off by how things are done now and by the fact their meeting location you can see inside from the street, very intrusive. And also by the leaders who've become pushy to get you to talk in group when your not ready and the sells pitch factor for things you don't eat or want to use. You don't need everything they sell to lose weight, the meetings used to be more genuine and helpful back in the day. Although I did find a leader or two was more than helpful to go out of her way to help members off of the weight watchers clock. Best of care whichever you choose.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I think WW is a great program. People who freak out over the "free" foods aren't doing it right.

First of all, the only "free" foods are fruits and non-starchy vegetables. It's not like ice cream and cocoa puffs are "free".

Second of all, those that actually learn and follow the program correctly understand that no foods are "free"; they are "zero points". And yes, there is a difference. The zero point foods are not a free for all. You are not told that you can eat as much as you want. You're told to eat "to satisfaction", which is a good skill to learn.

As someone said up-thread, the zero point foods are factored in to your point allowance. WW gives you a lower amount of points than you should really be consuming, to compensate for the fact that you will be eating zero point foods TO SATISFACTION, not gluttony. I lost 35 lbs on WW eating a veggies and fruits (even high calorie bananas) and not logging them.

Now, the downside: While I don't find the online program to be "exorbitant" (I was paying $20 a month), if you go all out and want to go to meetings (which I did back before there was an online program, and found them pretty useless) it will be more than twice that, and yes, that is a lot to pay for a weight loss program. Especially since, I'm told, the meetings have turned into little more than a sales pitch for WW products.

The real problem for me, and the reason I canceled my membership and switched to MFP, is that the website is terrible. Very glitchy and antiquated. The site is constantly down for "upgrades" but no one ever sees the results of these upgrades. When I starting getting kicked off the mobile app virtually every time I tried to get on, I knew it was time for a change. I'm not going to pay for something when the tools that are supposed to help me rarely work.

The switch to MFP was easy and I'm doing well (and saving money, which is always good).

Well to be fair, MFP has all sorts of glitches and issues as well :p
    One of my sister's have had great success with WW and has been maintaining for several years now, still using their online option. I've never really looked into it, but after reading the other WW thread last night I did some searching online and I was able to find all the info about how to do the program, as well as all the calculators I'd need to do it, for free. I also ended up on their website and they have tons of info there, like printable lists and such, so really it would be pretty easy to do the program for free.

I want to lose 5 vanity pounds for the summer, and I'm thinking of trying it just for the heck of it, to see what all the fuss is about :)
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options

Yes, but you're not paying between $20 - $50 a month for the privilege of experiencing those glitches.

• Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options

Yes, but you're not paying between $20 - $50 a month for the privilege of experiencing those glitches.

True :)
  • ImitatetheSun
    ImitatetheSun Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I lost 80 pounds on WW before they introduced the free foods idea. I honestly think its strengths are for the beginning weight loss, which is already behind you, not reaching goal at the end. By the time people are in your position, with 2 stone left to lose, they're plateauing and hungry all the time and talking about how much they're struggling in meetings. A lot of the lifetime members in my neighborhood only lost 20-30 pounds before hitting "goal" which is a different struggle than people who have 100 pounds to lose.
  • UnicornAmanda
    UnicornAmanda Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I did WW 6 years ago... I did lose weight but I was ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS hungry. I kept telling them I thought they had my points wrong but they kept telling me it was science and there was no way they had my points wrong I was just eating the wrong things. On MFP I'm rarely hungry and I understand my calorie intake more.

same here. I did it as a really young teen and i did lose weight but i was hungry a lot as well. I dont feel ww is a permanent solution. Mfp is more permanent because you actually learn to know how to calculate your own bodys needs... And its free which is a bonus lol