Weigh in....when?

Options
I'm new here. Just curious when everyone here does their "weigh in".

When I joined last Tuesday and had weighed myself Monday am. (The shock of that weigh in prompted me to come here lol)
I weighed myself this am as my first "weigh in".

The scale showed a mere 2 lbs (I can usually get a good 4 the first week)...but this am I felt "puffy" and my hands felt more swollen than normal. Feeling the edema I wondered if I really should be weighing so early in the day.

I haven't found anything on the best "time" to get an accurate weight. Is there any science to it?

Replies

• laraabenson
    Options
    i have always weighed in first thing in the morning upon riseing, after going to the restroom.
  • ShellyTN
    ShellyTN Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Welcome :)

I weigh on Monday mornings...first thing (After potty and before shower). I've weighed in the evenings before, too, and I just don't feel (FOR ME - for others it could be different) that it's accurate. Hope this helps!
  • MikeJett
    MikeJett Posts: 2
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning when I get up. I think it's best to just make sure you weigh in around the same time each day since eating and drinking can make your weight fluctuate. Even with that though I don't really worry about my daily weigh ins. I pay more attention to the weekly changes. 2 pounds in a week isn't bad though so just keep it up.
  • jldaley09
    jldaley09 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I used to weigh on Mondays, then I did on Saturdays.. because thats when the WW meeting I used to go to was. This time I switched it up and weigh on Thursday mornings as soon as i get up, use the bathroom and disrobe. I picked Thursday because it was far enough away from the weekend (when I used to eat more poorly but havent so far) and close enough to the weekend to keep me motivated through the weekend.. lol.
    I think its a personal choice but my results seem more consistant when I do it in the mornings.
  • denise980
    denise980 Posts: 296
    Options
    i have always weighed in first thing in the morning upon riseing, after going to the restroom.

I do Saturday mornings, right when I wake up, after bathroom duties, before eating and a shower :-)
  • startlosingstartliving
    Options
    I weigh in on Mondays too. I always weigh myself after going to the restroom, before my shower, and before I have eaten anything. :)
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Well, not science really, but I do have a "system" that works for me.

I weigh in on Friday mornings, right after I get out of bed, pee, and it's always in my birthday suit. :bigsmile:

That way, the number is likely to be the lowest it will be. I also like Friday's because I tend to not have the best adherence to healthy eating on the weekends, so this is before I'll "mess up" and I have the whole rest of the week to undo the weekend.

Many people weigh in on Monday mornings to make themselves more accountable for the weekend "oopsies", says it makes them not mess up their weekend as much.

To each his/her own, I guess! :drinker:
  • amyrrobinson
    Options
    My 'offiicial' weigh in is Friday morning after getting up and using the restroom. That way I have a full week to work off the weekend. We all know we typically don't do as well on the weekends. This way I don't flip out on Monday, since Mondays suck anyway.

SW: 169.5
    CW: 111.6
    GW: 105
  • TiDinzeo
    TiDinzeo Posts: 309
    Options
    I weigh in every Monday morning, wearing the same clothes, underwear and work trousers
  • GingerDarlene
    GingerDarlene Posts: 164
    Options
    Same here
  • Cindy311
    Cindy311 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I do Saturday morning, after I go to the bathroom and completely undressed. I like Saturdays because I work out through the week and I like to see my progress (also because weekends I find I am not on my calorie intake target as much). Best of luck!
  • wysmom2000
    wysmom2000 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I don't think there's a right or wrong time. As long as it's the same time every weigh. Weight fluctuates throughout the day and to get the most accurate loss calculation, I would weigh the same time of day.
  • monkeydharma
    monkeydharma Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    The main thing is to weigh yourself at the same time, for consistency. Your weight fluctuates during the day, depending on what you eat, drink, wear, etc. If you weigh in weekly, pick a day and time that works best for you and stick to it - that way your weight loss figures will be the most accurate.

Myself? I weigh myself daily (I'm obsessive that way), after the loo but before I dress.

EDIT: Ha! Previous respondent and I were thinking and typing the same thought! :D
  • MikeJett
    MikeJett Posts: 2
    Options
    Well, not science really, but I do have a "system" that works for me.

I weigh in on Friday mornings, right after I get out of bed, pee, and it's always in my birthday suit. :bigsmile:

That way, the number is likely to be the lowest it will be. I also like Friday's because I tend to not have the best adherence to healthy eating on the weekends, so this is before I'll "mess up" and I have the whole rest of the week to undo the weekend.

Many people weigh in on Monday mornings to make themselves more accountable for the weekend "oopsies", says it makes them not mess up their weekend as much.

To each his/her own, I guess! :drinker:

My trainer makes me do weight and measurements on Mondays for this same reason. It doesn't always completely deter me but I think it's been helping.
  • iAMaPhoenix
    iAMaPhoenix Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    This has been so helpful. My wife and I always weigh in on Mondays, after a long weekend of doing and eating whatever. I am liking the idea of moving it to Thursday or Friday. Thanks for the input guys.
  • kimphillips36
    kimphillips36 Posts: 125
    Options
    I always weigh-in towards the end of the week as well! Early morning, after I've used the bathroom and naked! :tongue:
  • lesliefoste
    lesliefoste Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Are you normally puffy in the morning? I wonder if you need to drink more water?

The stuff I've read all says you should weigh in only once a week; first thing after you pee in the morning.
  • lesliefoste
    lesliefoste Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    PS- 2 pounds sounds like a great weight loss week to me! Health experts tell us you can't lose more than about 1.5 to 2 pounds of fat in a week. If you are losing more than that, you're probably losing water weight or muscle, which is (of course) bad. Congrats on your two pounds!
  • seniorfaye
    seniorfaye Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Wow Kim , You look great!!
  • fragilestrength
    Options
    I weigh in Sunday Mornings. It's my one day that I give myself off from the gym, and I like to see progress from the week! It also keeps me accountable for the weekend since I know I have to report in before the weekend is up :P