new to the gym scene - need help with a workout plan

Options
Good morning fellow MFP members!

A Question for all the gym members ... what machines do you use, do you rotate the machine or do all of them each day and do you like joining the classes? The gym I attend has classes but of course I am intimidated by the tiny people I know will be instructing it and attending it.
I have been doing the elliptical machine and treadmill and then ab machines, arm machine thing and then doing floor exercises and cardio exercises from JM30DS workout.
Any tips for a beginner on what to do and how to best use the machines in workouts? I have an hour in the morning I am going to be filling as best I can and try to make the most of it.
I do not know the names of the machines but I know there are ab machines, arm machines, leg machines, and then a punching bag, stair machine, bikes and weight benches.
appreciate your advice

Replies

• JustMe2691
    JustMe2691 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    You could look on bodybuilding.com and pick a plan they already have until you get comfortable enough to create your own plan.

As for the classes, I love them. The energy of the class helps to keep you going. And just remember, all of the people in the class didn't start out tiny. After the 3rd or 4th class you'll realize that there was nothing to be intimidated about. Just go for it.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Why machines? Does your gym not have free weights? If you want to get the most of your workout and you are new to the gym anyway, might as well as make the most of it and start with barbell training.

"Barbells, and the primary exercises we use them to do, are far superior to any other training tools that have ever been devised. Properly formed, full range-of-motion barbell exercises are essentially the functional expression of human skeletal and muscular anatomy under a load."

"Machines, on the other hand, force the body to move the weight according to the design of the machine. This places some rather serious limitations on the ability of the exercise to meet the specific needs of the athlete. For instance, there is no way for a human being to utilize the quadriceps muscles in isolation from the hamstrings in any movement pattern that exists independently of a machine designed for this purpose. No natural movement can be performed that does this. Quadriceps and hamstring always function together, why should they be exercised separately? Because somebody invented a machine that lets us?"

–- Mark Rippetoe, Starting Strength, 3rd Edition

I would recommend ditching the machines and begin a progressive linear barbell strength program like Starting Strength (which others will recommend undoubtedly) where you begin with the bar and increase in small increments over time.
  • southernmom3
    southernmom3 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    thank you, I do use hand weights (3# and 10#) to do arm exercises but I don't know the names of any of them. There are weight benches there. I will try to look online for the correct way to use them so I do not get hurt. I go in the early mornings when there is no one else there to ask for guidance.
  • DesertGunR
    DesertGunR Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Definitively keep going to the gym. Use what is available. Look into programs at bodybuilding.com. From what I've noticed on here a lot of women read New Rules of Weight Lifting For Women. They also seem to lean towards Strong Curves or StrongLifts 5x5. These are very well structured programs and can take you from novice to as advanced as you would like to become. Both will require the use of free weights and the use of fractional weights (0.25lb., 0,5lb., 0.75lb., 1lb.) since a woman's strength progression will not be at the same rate possible (lack of testosterone) as it is for a man. You will also need to build yourself up to being able to use a 45lb. Olympic Bar.

You are on the right track. Keep moving forward in your journey and Good Luck!
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/find-a-plan.html

^^Bodybuilding.com has a number of "beginner plans". They also have a very extensive exercise database that has youtube videos that show proper form.

I suggest the 30day beginner plan.