Crossfit...?

Options
I'm starting cross fit tomorrow, what are some tips, what do you wish people would've told you before you started, and what do you think about it? Also, does it help with weightloss? <3 thanks

Replies

• PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Make sure they teach you good form. If they don't, walk the hell out of there.

Also, OP, is your profile photo really you? Because if so, you don't look like you need to lose any weight.
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Go on Youtube and search Rich Froning. Probably the greatest cross Fitter ever. From what I know of it, it's great for cardio (burns calories) and good for building some lean muscle (a very happy "compromise" ;) between exclusively choosing one or the other). The bodybuilding community hate them though (from what I've heard lol).
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    Options
    201908178327439749132927.gif
    uLWrijU.gif
    8BRbmV9.gif
    KP5i9Zx.gif
    comment_IHaoiSDx27HBJy6xTRSspTiwlo7YEhdH.gif
    nt-doing-crossfit-did-not-read-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-73.gif
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    OMG @sixxpoint those gifs look dangerous. :o:#:D
  • DevilsFan1
    DevilsFan1 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    PeachyPlum wrote: »

Just like with anything, there are good and bad boxes and good and bad instructors. A bad crossfit instructor is a recipe for a serious injury. If anyone encourages you to do more than you feel comfortable with, find a new instructor.

Also, start out slow. I mean slooooow. Don't try to do the prescribed workouts right away. Ask the instructor to help you scale them to your level of fitness. It might take months before you can do a workout as prescribed and that's perfectly OK.
  • DevilsFan1
    DevilsFan1 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    One other thing. Make sure you go to a box where they have certified USA Weightlifting coaches who understand how to teach the technical lifts (snatch, clean and jerk) correctly. In my opinion, no one should do crossfit until they have spent a few months learning how to do the lifts correctly. It will drastically reduce the opportunity for injury.
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    I think form is one of the reasons crossfit might have a bad reputation. It can be quite dangerous trying to move semi heavy weights when combined with all of the cardio involved and lack of rest between sets stations etc. Form often just goes out of the window when people are exhausted, which can be dangerous. It is a very demanding sport so I personally would rather lift as heavy as possible (with good form) on one day and do cardio to my best ability on another, not try to combine the two at once. It's also a bit strange in a gym when their are big weights lying around on the floor to see people sprinting up and down the gym using multiple machines at once as part of their set. However, I'm sure a class is more structured. It is a very tough, demanding activity though.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Crossfit can be a great structure to build your fitness plan around. Fat loss comes from what and how much you eat. But if you want to get stronger, improve mobility and endurance, it is awesome. Having good coaches helps you learn proper form. Having a good class environment helps keep you motivated to do more. And knowing yourself and keeping your ego in check keeps you from getting hurt.

There is a group on MFP for crossfit (http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/99-crossfit-love). You should check it out.
  • kerbeya1
    kerbeya1 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Best tip of crossfit don't do it
  • kerbeya1
    Options
    slideaway1 wrote: »
    Go on Youtube and search Rich Froning. Probably the greatest cross Fitter ever. From what I know of it, it's great for cardio (burns calories) and good for building some lean muscle (a very happy "compromise" ;) between exclusively choosing one or the other). The bodybuilding community hate them though (from what I've heard lol).

Rich froning does powerlifting the rest of the year and barely crossfit haha so he's not a good example wanna be small do crossfit wanna get big go to the gym
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    People can hate on crossfit but done correctly it is very difficult. Watch any of the competitive crossfit games and see if you could do anything close to it. Also I read somewhere that newbies feel the need to trash any other methodology they don't use for lifting. I don't do crossfit but they do get my respect as an athlete.
  • kerbeya1
    Options
    JarethG wrote: »
    kerbeya1 wrote: »
    slideaway1 wrote: »

Rich froning does powerlifting the rest of the year and barely crossfit haha so he's not a good example wanna be small do crossfit wanna get big go to the gym
    Most elites do other programming to get big, strong, and durable. Then they practice the wods for technical tune ups and conditioning to peak for a comp.
    If you talk to any other crossfit they believe rich froning is rich froning cause of crossfit if you are smart enough to see that he is not I respect your previous statement
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I'm not a big fan of it. I seems form goes out the window and a broken glass injury is just a matter of time for most of the people I've seen engage in it. To each her/his own though...good luck.
  • NeverBeenHappier
    NeverBeenHappier Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    PeachyPlum wrote: »

Also, OP, is your profile photo really you? Because if so, you don't look like you need to lose any weight.

thank you! It is me but i've still got a couple pounds before i hit my goal uvu
  • besee_2000
    besee_2000 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Remember if you're doing crossfit your scale may start to confuse you. Measure body fat % before you start and track using the same methods/time/cycle.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    Some fitness sites strongly caution against cross fit

Just be careful
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Some fitness sites strongly caution against cross fit

Just be careful

You can hurt yourself doing anything.
    hell I broke my ankle running.

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Crossfit can get a bad rap. Try to investigate the box thoroughly, check your ego at the door and don't sacrifice form when you get tired.
  • chadr74
    chadr74 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I done crossfit at a local gym for 6 months and loved it! I gained a lot of strength and muscle and lost some fat! But honestly most fat loss credit comes from what you do or don't put in your mouth in my opinion! But I just was not man enough to keep it up. It involves a lot of shoulder and knee work! Every workout will likely involve squating of some sort and pushing weight above your head. I have always been on the heavier side so the high volume of box jumps, wall balls, and Burpees were the things that made me give it up! Good luck and prepare to breath hard lol
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    sixxpoint wrote: »
    201908178327439749132927.gif

Lmao his neck is gonna pop out of place real soon