Lost 100 lbs and gained it all back

Options
I lost 100 lbs in 2011 from 285 to 185. Maintained under 200 until about 2013. Slowly gained it back and about a week ago I looked at the scale and said to my self, this is enough! Now I am on a quest to lose 100 lbs again. I am already down 15. I am going to try to maintain this lifestyle change for good this time. The last time I think I lost it too fast (6months 100 lbs lost) this time I will try to go slower and achieve the goal in 12 months time.

Replies

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Good luck! I'm sure you learned a lot from what happened, and can put the knowledge to good use.
  • jadeblubell
    jadeblubell Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Did you exercise the first time?
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    You're already ahead of most people who give it a week, think they have bad genetics then quit. Glad you're back on the path to a healthy lifestyle!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Ya, even 2 lbs weekly is not actually reasonable and realistic the whole time.

More than likely expect failure again - just saying based on stats of general success.
    What's the financial ad's caveat, past success doesn't indicate future prospects.

Because at some point that 2 lbs weekly will become an extreme deficit diet, even though it won't be at first, and that's when you start setting yourself up for the negatives down the road.

At 60 lbs left - stick to 1.5 lb weekly.

At 30 lbs left - 1 lb.

10 - 1/2 lb.

And even that is trusting you have an otherwise healthy body without undue life/health stress that will make it a fight against your body.

Because I'm betting you'll find it harder this time - unless you did mainly lifting last time to maintain muscle mass during that whole loss.
  • billiej97
    billiej97 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Hey. I lost 100lb in 2013. I did it in 10 months though and I still think that was too quickly! I went from 245lb to 145lb. I started to gain weight again because I had been so restrictive with my food that just had the urge to eat something unhealthy. Once I had something unhealthy it was difficult to stop. Now I'm at 189lb and hoping to lose 50lb without being too restrictive and exercising more. Don't give in, you must remember the feeling when you have lost 100lb. I'm sure that is enough to keep you going. I know it is for me anyway.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    Slowly but surely always wins. Really.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Plan now for maintenance
  • Paperchains38
    Paperchains38 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Been there done that, lost about 85 lbs 8 years ago but put it all back on plus more as i decided to eat what i wanted and stop going to the the gym. I started again last January (2014) thanks to a medical problem (had and operation in January this year to sort it out) and now i am nearly 70 lbs down again but i would like to remove another 28 lbs (give or take a couple of pounds) from my body but that could take another year, i am in no rush this time round plus i am not exercising as much as last time as i can't afford to go to the gym anymore.
  • rpm2012
    rpm2012 Posts: 13 Member
    Options

Yes. The first time I was in the gym 4 days per week minimum. Massive cardio and lifting. This time I will have to first lose at least 30-40 lbs as I have broken my ankle about 6 months ago and it will most likely not hold up if I try running on it at this weight. I was lifting regularly as well. Part of the reason I stopped and fell off the wagon is I dislocated my shoulder and haven't had time or proper insurance to get surgery which I still need to do. I will lift but will have to be conscious of what I do and think about not messing up so my shoulder doesn't get wrecked. Since the first time I dislocated it, it has come out a good 10 times. Only now I can put it back in my self and not spend 1500 to have a doctor do it.
  • rpm2012
    rpm2012 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    Ya, even 2 lbs weekly is not actually reasonable and realistic the whole time.

More than likely expect failure again - just saying based on stats of general success.
    What's the financial ad's caveat, past success doesn't indicate future prospects.

Because at some point that 2 lbs weekly will become an extreme deficit diet, even though it won't be at first, and that's when you start setting yourself up for the negatives down the road.

At 60 lbs left - stick to 1.5 lb weekly.

At 30 lbs left - 1 lb.

10 - 1/2 lb.

And even that is trusting you have an otherwise healthy body without undue life/health stress that will make it a fight against your body.

Because I'm betting you'll find it harder this time - unless you did mainly lifting last time to maintain muscle mass during that whole loss.

Yes. I was definitely too restrictive at the end of the last success and that is the reason I could only get to 185 instead of the goal weight of 175. I came really close!
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Slowly but surely always wins. Really.
    No, not always.
  • amnesia503
    amnesia503 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I hope you reach your goals and drop the weight! Falling off can be frustrating, I did it for 3+ years and now I'm back
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    i dont think it really is about how fast you lose or dont, but echoing what rabbit said, its all about maintenance. once you reach your goal its about daily daily daily. you got this. you did it once, you can do it again. congrats on getting yourself back on track!!
  • JanetMMcC
    JanetMMcC Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    You've done it once, and now you know how to do it better. :)

I'm losing weight for the idonnohowmanyth time. I've moved from obese to overweight and am edging toward normal.

For what it's worth, the first 40-plus pounds were almost painless. The doc said "whole grain. Eliminate white carbs." I'll grant that a whole lot of that had to do with cutting out snacking on candy, chips and other calorie wasters. But it *felt* better than if the doc had said "Stop those snacks."

There's always walking. It may not show as dramatic changes as running, but it's still useful exercise.
  • syndeo
    syndeo Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I have lost 100 pounds in a year, and have kept it off 2.5+ years now. It might have been a little fast, but it is not unhealthy fast. Biggest drawback was the lose skin. I had a large daily deficit, but ate 1800-2000 calories a day to do it.

Of course I didn't start out there, It was more diet then exercise in the first couple of months, and as you get fitter, exercise becomes easier. I did strength, and cardio. No I am a very lean endurance athlete who can compete at fairly high levels for a rec athlete.

Never give up, never surrender.
  • inked_Calimom82
    inked_Calimom82 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I'm in a similar boat but not as much as 100lbs, gained 75 when I got pregnant and finally shedding it off. Awesome job by the way! You can do it again :) good luck
  • UnicornAmanda
    UnicornAmanda Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    You did it once, you can totally do it again!!! Slow and steady wins the race!!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    rpm2012 wrote: »

Yes. The first time I was in the gym 4 days per week minimum. Massive cardio and lifting. This time I will have to first lose at least 30-40 lbs as I have broken my ankle about 6 months ago and it will most likely not hold up if I try running on it at this weight. I was lifting regularly as well. Part of the reason I stopped and fell off the wagon is I dislocated my shoulder and haven't had time or proper insurance to get surgery which I still need to do. I will lift but will have to be conscious of what I do and think about not messing up so my shoulder doesn't get wrecked. Since the first time I dislocated it, it has come out a good 10 times. Only now I can put it back in my self and not spend 1500 to have a doctor do it.

Oh, that's a bummer, upper and lower body affected. Because using the biggest muscles for resistance training is great in a diet, but you really want to do all of them. That makes it difficult.

I hobbled around the gym for almost 3 months on crutches after broken ankle, using the machines. Could do everything but calf raises, or any pushing motions with legs of course. But leg curls and extensions kept those muscles good, and the glute machine was a rotating one, not pushing one. Upper body easy of course.
    You may be able to do those safely.
    Sounds like tighter muscles in shoulder are the answer, with good balance, and specifics for which direction it goes out mainly.
    Perhaps some answers exists for similar situations out in forums or such.
    I know it'll be important to lock them in when doing anything by tightening all the muscles up, and have great form.

Just keep it reasonable weight loss while not being able to do as much - body trying to heal now, and recovery from exercise, sickness, or injury is always slower in a diet.