Foam rolling alternative

Options
ajocec
ajocec Posts: 19 Member
anyone have any alternatives to foam rolling? I can't do it due to bruising but am in so much pain

Replies

• dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    There is those hand held rollers as well. I forget the technical term.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    A pvc pipe?
  • tanowicki
    tanowicki Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Stretching.
  • trusty48
    trusty48 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    You can use balls- like tennis balls or lacrosse balls to roll out the tension. They work better than the foam rollers for small targeted areas
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Rolling pin is your budget option. Fancier version: The Stick.

Like @trusty48 I use a lacrosse-sized ball for my hips (the hips themselves, not the hip muscles that stretch down into the legs), calves/ankles, and bottoms of my feet.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Rolling pin works well & lacrosse ball gets in those tight spots. I've heard of 4" pvc as well as wine bottle but haven't tried either.
  • kdcancan
    kdcancan Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I use the extra long stick with the mini rollers on it. Very comfortable and much better than the shiatsu torture hard foam roller with raised bumps I'd been using
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    If you can't foam roll because of bruising, none of the alternatives are going to work either.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    Rolling a tennis ball or dryer balls. If you are bruising, maybe check with your dr as to why you are bruising so easy?
  • prestigio
    prestigio Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Try stretches with (light) resistance bands?
  • DesertGunR
    DesertGunR Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »
    Rolling a tennis ball or dryer balls. If you are bruising, maybe check with your dr as to why you are bruising so easy?

Bruising that easily. I agree a consult with a Doctor is warranted. That is definitely not a normal condition. Other than that a very good stretching routine before and after any exercise as well as on your off/rest days.
  • trusty48
    trusty48 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I may have misunderstood- assumed that OP had existing bruises and wanted to work around them. Foam rollers are big and difficult to target areas with.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    If you can't foam roll because of bruising, none of the alternatives are going to work either.

This.

Go for a mellow walk to loosen things up and do some easy stretching/mobility drills. It's how we did it before someone dreamed up the foam roller.