Migraine sufferers

Options
2»

Replies

• SheBeButLittleSheisFierce
    Options
    I've had migraines for 20 years. Sometimes they are more frequent than others. I've also done topomax. I stopped having migraines for a few years so i stopped taking medicine. Unfortunately they started back again on a regular basis. I am now on Trokendi. I take it every night (makes you very sleepy) and have seen a huge change in the frequency of my migraines. Feel free to message me if you want more info. I truly have seen a huge difference. When I do get a migraine I take Maxalt which seems to be working as well. Also, a friend of mine introduced me to the essential oil by dottera called past tense. It comes in a roll on despenser. I put it on my temples and the nape of my neck. It doesn't make it go away per say but oh my word the release of tension you feel is amazing.
  • cinner274
    cinner274 Posts: 16 Member
    Options

Anyone who has migraines w/aura should NEVER take birth control pills- major risk of stroke!
    I've had them since my early teenage years & hormone fluctuation was a huge trigger for me. Dopamax (topamax) helped as a preventative for a few years but the adverse side effects (just Google dopamax topamax & you'll see what I mean!) Made it impossible to continue. BTW, Trokendi is just extended release Topamax so I'd steer clear of that too. My neuro suggested keeping a food & migraine diary (super easy here on mfp!) to see if any patterns develope and to weed out my trigger foods. Anything loaded w/preservatives (lunch meat, hot dogs, sausage, tons more) MSG (Chinese food is horrible for migraine sufferers) hard cheeses, red wine, fluctuations in caffeine, weather/barometer/allergan changes - these are all bad triggers for me, as is stress. I'll get post-stress migraines that last days :(
    I use Maxalt as a rescue med- works great since it can be taken after you've already got the full blown migraine, where meds like Imitrex have to be taken at the very first sign ff the headache to be effective for most people. Maxalt & if I still have it after an hour- a reusable gel ice pack wrapped in a T-shirt over my forehead & eyes and a cool, dark, quiet room usually helps me a lot!
    So that's my advice- keep a migraine diary (include particularly stressful times to see if stress is a trigger) and a food diary, avoid your trigger foods, learn some meditation/yoga/breathing exercises that you can call upon to hopefully avoid the post stress migraines, talk to your Dr about different options for a rescue med and always try to make sure you keep some of it with you since all migraine meds work better the sooner u take them. I also take generic store brand Zyrtec every night for seasonal allergies and this seems to have helped avoid some of the weather related triggers. And spend a couple bucks on a reusable ice pack (Walmart/target/any drugstore) or 2 for those times when nothing else is working!
    Please feel free to friend me/message me with any questions - not an expert but lots of years and many migraines under my belt ;-)
  • usernameenvy
    usernameenvy Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    when i feel one coming on i take 2 nurofen plus and 2 plain panadol together every 4 hours and then take a calmative pain tablet that night which helps alot and hasnt lasted as long.
    Caffeine helps get your blood circulating and having a warm caffeinated drink when taking tablets will help the tablets digest and spread quicker.
    i also wear my sunnies everywhere if i have to be out in daylight and i rub tiger balm on my temples, around the back of my neck and the fleshy bits of my palms (and anywhere else i feel alot of pressure)
  • cinner274
    cinner274 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    ALAdams wrote: »
    I used to get major migraine headaches as a child and through my teen years. I was told flashing strobe type lights, soda (pop), and stress were all major triggerso love skating but would always leave the rink with horrible headaches. I quit drinking soda but still got the migraines. I was on a medication called Midrinite (or something close to that name. It has been years. It was a redish colored capsule). I did not prevent them but was what i took to help get rid of them. Nothing over the counter ever worked. I dont get them as frequently anymore but i do still get them really bad. Sometimes i get them so bad it makes me vomit. I have a reusable ice pack. I have to lay down with an eye mask to block all light and place the ice pack on my head. The ice helps me tremendously! It is actually getting pretty old and showing wear and i am worried about finding another one.

You can get those reusable ice packs at Walmart/Target etc or pretty much any drugstore/Walgreen/CVS/Rite Aide in the heath dept, usually around the knee wraps, hearing pads, bandaid area. You can also Google how to make one using water & alcohol in a baggie but the store-bought ones always seem to stay cold longer but at least u can DIY one in a pinch ;-) Hope this helps!

• Iknewyouweretrouble
    Iknewyouweretrouble Posts: 561 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Does anyone here get migraines?

As a teenager I got so many migraines that my doctor put me on a preventative medication (topamax) but that interfered with my BC causing me to become pregnant. During my pregnancy and for a few years after I didn't get migraines.

Now, they've slowly increased in frequency to the point that I'm getting them at least once a week and nothing but time seems to make them go away.

At my appointment with my doctor next week, I'm thinking I should ask about controller meds. Does anyone have any experience with any of them besides Topamax? I'd love to hear how they worked for you and any suggestions you might have.

Also, how do you cope with exercising/eating well when you're dealing with a migraine? Do you find anything else besides medications help prevent or treat migraines for you?

I have had migraines increasingly as well. I used excedrin and Tylenol to treat them and still had the nausea and all the sensitivity not to mention headache. when they lasted 3 days at a time I went to a doctor a DO to see if I could treat them naturally.
    she offered me imitrex which I refused and prescribed me zofran which I accepted because I really can't stand nausea at work.
    she recommended accupuncture and massage. I read up on accupuncture and got way too anxious about it and didn't try it.
    I did subscribe to a massage program and got 3 massages so far (one every 2 weeks) with a focus on my neck. so far I had one headache that threatened migraine. I went home, slept and it was gone. of course I have only started and will continue to monitor them.
    if they get worse I plan on trying something like imitrex.
    my dr also told me to keep my caffeine intake consistant and to drink coffee even on weekends.
    good luck!
  • robinmarkz
    robinmarkz Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I have one right now. Very frustrated that I can't do cardio exercise at the moment. I don't know if it's going to get better, stay for a while, or get worse. Last summer I had "status migraine" for most of the summer, and stopped the program. I started up again early this year,
    and lost over 10 pounds since then (didn't change during the time off the program), and I am getting a lot of exercise, and was being quite careful. I have been careful about hydration, about slowly upping the exercise, and all of that. I think that stress is a factor, and also the humidity of this time of year in southern California. I think that's a major thing: the barometric pressure/humidity.

Right now, I'm in limbo . . . very frustrating.

rjm (Robin)
  • Marilyn0924
    Marilyn0924 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    [q8uote="mysmileighs;32113009"]I used to get them all the time, usually on the placebo days of my bc pills. Now that I have an IUD, I'm told they will go away completely.

There was no eating or exercise with mine. Dark, silent room. And lots of Excedrin.

I hope you find something that works because they are the worst!

I wish it worked that way for me! I've been using the Mirena IUD for 6 years and that hasn't seemed to have any effect. :(
    [/quote]

I suffered for years with debilitating migraines in my late teens/early 20's and noticed that when I got pregnant with my first, my migraines disappeared. They returned about a year after I gave birth and just after this I went on a low-dose pill and much to my relief, they went away. After my 2nd pregnancy, I got the mirena, and those migraines returned with a vengence. Had it removed, as my obgyn figured it was a trigger. Went back to the pill, and rarely suffered after that. Might want to get your hormone levels checked and have a chat with your doc.
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I suffered a chronic, never ending migraine for three years straight. So believe me, I've tried every medication. Making virtually zero medical sense, my migraine ended when I was put under anesthesia for a knee surgery a few years back. Now I get them a few times a year (typically close to time where seasonal changes are occurring) or when I eat foods that are big triggers for me - like having more than 1tbsp of peanut butter.

I found most success with the management of symptoms when I was on beta-blockers (which are used to control migraines now as well) as well as a Coenzyme Q-10 supplement -- both of which were prescribed by one of my many neurologists. It's a route you could certainly discuss with your doctor, but know that it impacts your ability to exercise, especially unsupervised as it can keep your heart rate from rising properly as you increase intensity, which tends to lead to people either blacking out or passing out entirely. It does not (in my knowledge) interfere with BC however. Now I do most of my management when symptoms start by taking Maxalt tabs.

My biggest tip for you is to keep a food diary (so log accurately on here and use the data you should already have!). It was something none of my seven neurologists recommended, but that a family friend who is an Internist mentioned to me. Every time I had a migraine, I was told to look at the foods I'd eaten that day and the day before and compare them to other days where I had migraines. I picked out very quickly what my trigger foods were and how much of them I could consume before there was an issue. Every once in a while I seem to get one without a trigger, which likely means it's a smaller ingredient that I'm missing rather than a more "whole" food.

As for your other questions; when I have a migraine, I'm typically not able to exercise or eat. That whole, light and noise thing is kind of an issue for me haha. I'm also typically throwing up pretty regularly if I have a true migraine. I'm one of those people who, on more than one occasion, has shown up at the hospital and thrown up on the triage nurse while asking for the shot of Demerol.
  • mscalfee
    mscalfee Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I recently was hospitalized in February with what is called a hemiplegic migraine. It presents as a mini stroke and I lost function of the left side of my body. I am functioning better now, but still have the regular migraines like I did before the big episode even while on topamax. Running seems to shorten my migraines though, I have noticed that getting more exercise in has helped my episodes last from 1 to 2 days instead of weeks at a time. I hope you can get some relief soon!
  • LearnFromTheRed
    LearnFromTheRed Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    mscalfee wrote: »
    I recently was hospitalized in February with what is called a hemiplegic migraine. It presents as a mini stroke and I lost function of the left side of my body. I am functioning better now, but still have the regular migraines like I did before the big episode even while on topamax. Running seems to shorten my migraines though, I have noticed that getting more exercise in has helped my episodes last from 1 to 2 days instead of weeks at a time. I hope you can get some relief soon!

I also have this - I also find running helps. Topiramate made me so depressed I had to come off it. I am experimenting with magnesium/calcium, Q10 and so on.