Sticking to it

Options
jbarber500
jbarber500 Posts: 8 Member
edited May 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
I will do really well for a month or so and then just stop, this is my struggle. I have an elliptical I like to use, weights, like to walk and ride bikes. I also always feel so much better after I exercise. Why is it so hard to continue doing it? How do you stick to an exercise routine over the long haul?

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Personally, I need a goal. I like to run or do triathlon so usually one of those races. Eventually it became more about performance than weight loss and I found that helps too.

With strength training, it was about getting stronger.

ETA - not that I am fast, but I do always try to do better than I used to.
  • jbarber500
    Options
    I appreciate that. When I have done well I also have felt like really was benefitting overall health more than my weight, and that was a good thing.
    I have thought about doing a race as well, thanks for the ideas!
  • BigLifter10
    BigLifter10 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    Personally, I had to step back and take it one day at a time. Too many times of putting the cart before the horse, so to speak. I'd just start a 'diet' then already start planning what I'll wear in four months. I had to focus on each day and make sure I got my goal in for each day.
  • trusty48
    trusty48 Posts: 75 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    My method for sticking to it- having friends that keep me accountable. Everyone I know knows about my gym schedule so if I miss a day I have to answer to them.

"How was gym day today?" "You didn't go? Are you feeling ok?"
    "Umm...well, I got really busy at work and then it was late and then...umm..."

It's easier to go than face the shame.
  • walkonfire5
    walkonfire5 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Ice bath and losing money. A workout could be a walk or could even be a home bike hiit workout. Miss a workout lose money miss so many in a row you take an ice/ice water bath simple. Do you wanna get cold no. Do you want to lose money no. So you stick with it. And after you reached a mini goal treat yourself
  • jbarber500
    Options
    Ice bath! That is pretty brutal punishment lol!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    jbarber500 wrote: »
    How do you stick to an exercise routine over the long haul?

Use a plan and have a tangible training goal like a race, or a distance, or time.

• ClumsyCreature
    ClumsyCreature Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've had the same problem with sticking to it religiously for a month then just stopping.
    What's really worked for me though is just having a few days (4-6) where I just chill with it completely; accepting that I'm going to have bad days/weeks and not putting insane amounts of pressure on myself to restart actually ends up making me get back to it a lot quicker than if I punish myself with guilt!
    Also making it into a competition with yourself will work wonders,
    With strength training, it was about getting stronger.
    Totally agree with this, seeing yourself progress with weights is so satisfying and makes you never wanna quit again!

Don't know if it'll work for you but it really did for me :)
  • jbarber500
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone...its nice to get some good advice about how to overcome the struggle.