Quitting smoking and lose weight???

Options
Anybody have sucess quitting smoking and loseing weight at the same time, I think it is possible if you work out and follow your calorie count and drink alot of water!! Just curious if anybody has had success???!!

Thanks so much Joanna!!

Replies

• DKev
    DKev Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    You can do it! I was 2 years smoke free as of Easter this year! I was 153 pounds and am now 130 and still smoke free. When I decided to quit smoking I knew that if i didn't resort to exercise I would gain a lot of weight so I started jogging. The eating healthy part came along about a year later. Exercising and counting calories has given me something to do with my time and my mind.
  • pucks_mom23
    Options
    Well...I quit 18 years ago and while I can't tell you I lost weight I know I didn't gain any weight. A lot of that had to do with not turning to food as the replacement for the smoking. Had I been trying to lose weight at the time I think I could have done both.

The key is what you said - eat healthy, drink lots of water, and exercise. Keep busy. You will be successful.

CONGRATULATIONS on quitting smoking. It is the most wonderful thing you can do for yourself in the quest to be healthy.
  • randilea
    randilea Posts: 140
    Options
    When i quite smoking I gain weight but that is because I replace smoking with eating without even realizing it. I think if you replace the smoking with exercise and counting calories you will have something else to focus on and you will come out a winner in both areas!! Good luck!!!
  • kenrae
    kenrae Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have been quit since Sept 2009 with Quitnet.ca . I joined MFP in Sept 2010 and have lost 52lbs. Good luck!! It can be done.
  • Pamela3
    Pamela3 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Sugar Free Gum has been my savior. My husband (who doesn't ad never has had a weight problem) uses an Electronic Cigarette - may be worth looking into.
  • krb731
    krb731 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Yes you can. I stopped smoking on Feb. 3rd after a visit to the doctor. At my follow up on May 3rd I had lost 13 pounds. During those three months I drank tons of water and started working out to curb my cravings. I'm still working on my food intake and habits, but I'm getting better. There are a few threads around here that talks about quitting and weight lose.

Just know that it is very possible!
  • Joannaweber
    Options
    Thank you for the replies I will try!!!!!!!
  • Brownski860
    Brownski860 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking Dec 2010, after smoking for 10+ yrs. I decided one night that I was done and quit cold turkey. By March, I had gained 10lbs. Like many others, i substituted eating with smoking. I have been on MFP almost 1 month, down 8 lbs and smoke free 5 months. If I can do it cold-turkey, then you can too! Totally worth it!