I've lost weight and don't look as good as I used to

Options
I've strugged with my weight ever since I got put on the pill 10 years ago due to endometriosis.

My first attempt at weight loss was after a 2-3 years or so of being on the pill. I went on the South Beach Diet. I lost all but 10 of the pounds I wanted to loose, decided to go back to eating foods that weren't on the South Beach Diet, and promptly gained all the weight, plus some more back.

But while I was near my goal weight under South Beach Diet, I was looking good. People were complimenting me, guys were looking at me again, my clothes were smaller. T-shirts were mediums and smalls and I looked good in them.

I am now not doing any specific diet, just trying to eat healthier and exercise and have lost a total of 90 pounds. I have about 40 pounds left to loose until I get to my goal weight, but I don't think I look good. I feel that at this same weight under the South Beach Diet, that I was wearing smaller clothes, I got more compliments on my weight loss, men looked at me more (no such luck with that with this diet at all), and I didn't have to go around in a waist slimming device to look like I had a figure.

Why do I look so much worse this go round? Is this diet less effective or something. I only have 40 lbs left to loose and still look really fat. I'm in 16 pants (down from 28), and wear large tops (or medium if I'm wearing a waist slimmer), but feel that at this weight under the SBD, I was probably wearing 12-14s and medium to small tops without the need for a slimmer. I haven't had any kids or anything else that would change my body - so what gives?

Replies

• maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    You may have a larger fat-to-lean ratio than you did 10 years ago. A pound of fat takes up more room. Weight loss involves loss of fat and muscle mass. When a person regains the weight lost"and more" without intentional strength training the gain will be fat.
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I did the south beach diet way back in 2004 and lost weight very fast. It seemed like much of it was muscle too. I felt good and looked pretty good but I was weaker. Then, just like you, when I started eating carbs again I gained it all back.
    You say you have 40 pounds to go from your goal weight. What is your goal weight? You say you are a size 16 now but at what weight? I am a size 10-12 in pants and I weigh about 174 ( maybe less I haven't weighed for a week ). I wear a large in shirts and I am 5'5" tall.
  • momentai
    momentai Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    You might have execess loose skin that can make you look bigger, or it probably because you have less muscles now then you did back then.

I went through something similar two years ago, I lost a lot of weight through dieting and cardio, but gained half back. I started exercising again, but this time lifted heavy weight and do cardio only 2-3 times a week. Even though I am still 10pound away from where I was 2 years ago I fit into all my small clothing and have the same measurements.

• strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    Are you doing any strength exercises at all?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy ...follow a progressive resistance programme

Bodies change as do their composition...but so have clothing sizes and styles

Strong curves or NROLFW or stronglifts5x5

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    When you regain (without wanting to , not eating enough protein or strength training etc), a greater proportion of what comes on is fat than muscle. Sucks.

You probably have less lean mass at this weight than you did last time. (Sorry). It's fixable though. Lift weights if you can.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    maxit wrote: »
    You may have a larger fat-to-lean ratio than you did 10 years ago. A pound of fat takes up more room. Weight loss involves loss of fat and muscle mass. When a person regains the weight lost"and more" without intentional strength training the gain will be fat.

Ie this
  • flrancho
    flrancho Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I did the south beach diet way back in 2004 and lost weight very fast. It seemed like much of it was muscle too. I felt good and looked pretty good but I was weaker. Then, just like you, when I started eating carbs again I gained it all back.
    You say you have 40 pounds to go from your goal weight. What is your goal weight? You say you are a size 16 now but at what weight? I am a size 10-12 in pants and I weigh about 174 ( maybe less I haven't weighed for a week ). I wear a large in shirts and I am 5'5" tall.

I'm a 16 at 168. My goal weight is 135.
  • flrancho
    edited May 2015
    Options

Yes, I've been going to the gym and doing weight machines. What's got me though is that I NEVER exercised while on South Beach, and I looked a whole lot thinner then. You'd think I should be looking better now since I'm dieting and exercising vs just dieting - but I seem to be a whole lot more fat now than I was at this same weight on the SBD.
  • jrodri0105
    jrodri0105 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    It doesn't work like that. Age changes your body composition. As you get older you tend to gain fat and lose muscle. Make sure you are keeping protein intake high to maintain the muscle that you already have. Keep lifting "heavy." After you lose the fat, go back to bulking ( increase calories ) and work on gaining muscle. When you feel you gained enough muscle, then go back to a calorie deficit and lose the fat and maintain the muscle you have gained. This is the only way you can fix your body composition.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    flrancho wrote: »

Yes, I've been going to the gym and doing weight machines. What's got me though is that I NEVER exercised while on South Beach, and I looked a whole lot thinner then. You'd think I should be looking better now since I'm dieting and exercising vs just dieting - but I seem to be a whole lot more fat now than I was at this same weight on the SBD.

Could it be your perception?
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    What diet are you doing? Maybe walk more? Walking has changed my whole body shape! Walking alot tho. And far distances.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Per my husband sexy is as sexy thinks...

If you aren't getting compliments it could be that people notice more that you aren't "feeling" good about yourself...

As well (and not trying to be mean) people might be scared to say anything due to the amount of time you were heavier...and the fact you were larger...

A size 16 from a 28 is significant don't get me wrong but to be honest I didn't get anyone but family saying anything to me until I went from a 16 to a 6...and it's only been since I've been in a size 6 for a year that it has started (and I don't mean compliments) I mean comments about how much I've lost...

IE the owner of the company I worked for saw me in April...he stopped by my office and was just wow...was very impressed and complimented me and asked me how I felt (make sure I wasn't sick)...he see's me every week...actually almost everyday he just didn't notice until that day...
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    jrodri0105 wrote: »
    It doesn't work like that. Age changes your body composition. As you get older you tend to gain fat and lose muscle. Make sure you are keeping protein intake high to maintain the muscle that you already have. Keep lifting "heavy." After you lose the fat, go back to bulking ( increase calories ) and work on gaining muscle. When you feel you gained enough muscle, then go back to a calorie deficit and lose the fat and maintain the muscle you have gained. This is the only way you can fix your body composition.

I'm 53 and lift heavy and my body composition has changed a whole lot....for the absolute better. Sometimes I look in the mirror and can't believe it's me.

I also run and do other cardio, but I think this is for endurance and does not help body composition that much. The reason I say this is because I've always run and did cardio, even when I was fat, but it has only been since I've been doing heavy weight lifting (about a year and a half) that I have noticed the changes in my body shape.
  • jrodri0105
    edited May 2015
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

I'm 53 and lift heavy and my body composition has changed a whole lot....for the absolute better. Sometimes I look in the mirror and can't believe it's me.

I also run and do other cardio, but I think this is for endurance and does not help body composition that much. The reason I say this is because I've always run and did cardio, even when I was fat, but it has only been since I've been doing heavy weight lifting (about a year and a half) that I have noticed the changes in my body shape.

I'm not saying you cannot change your body composition. It is normal part of the aging process for her body composition to change. It can be prevented and she can get back to the body she "wants". As she says " I don't look as good as I use to." I have attached a link concerning the aging process.

http://health.howstuffworks.com/wellness/aging/aging-process/aging5.htm

Its great your body has changed with heavy lifting. That is what is needed to change the appearance of your body.
  • flrancho
    Options

Is the age thing really going to make that much of a difference? I know age changed things and all, but when I lost the first time I was in my early twenties. I'm 28 now.

It's not like I'm in my 50s and have hit menopause or anything.

And I am going to the gym. I usually aim for 2-3 times a week - days I'm not at the gym I try to go for a 1-2 mile walk. While I may not be doing what I would call "lifting", I am using all kinds of machines at various weights to get a full body workout. I always aim for the maximum wight I can comfortably to; when I start to struggle, I stop. When that weight gets too easy, I increase it.
  • jrodri0105
    edited May 2015
    Options
    flrancho wrote: »

Is the age thing really going to make that much of a difference? I know age changed things and all, but when I lost the first time I was in my early twenties. I'm 28 now.

It's not like I'm in my 50s and have hit menopause or anything.

And I am going to the gym. I usually aim for 2-3 times a week - days I'm not at the gym I try to go for a 1-2 mile walk. While I may not be doing what I would call "lifting", I am using all kinds of machines at various weights to get a full body workout. I always aim for the maximum wight I can comfortably to; when I start to struggle, I stop. When that weight gets too easy, I increase it.

I posted a great link. Go ahead and read it. It makes a difference. "Understanding what happens with weight as your body ages will help you to control it. Beginning around age 25, total body fat starts to increase, while muscle mass and body water decrease. As a result, you may weigh more as you age or lose some of your youthful muscle tone."

If you want to change your body composition. Go ahead lose weight and lift heavy ( just a progressive routine) machines are fine if you keep increasing the weight. After you are done, keep lifting but you may need to increase calories and put on muscle. After you feel like you have a good base of muscle. Lose weight again. During these cycles you are consistently lifting and keeping protein intake high.