Does anyone else get really hungry on days where they have lost weight

Options
I'm new here! I have successfully finished my first week and lost 2lbs yay! The problem is that I have noticed in the past on diets and currently that whenever I wake up a lb lighter ( on the days my weight loss shows up on the scale) that my appetite goes through the roof! I'm short and tiny so I don't need many calories to maintain or lose. My weight loss diet is about 1200-1300 which feels like enough food for me and I'm never hungry because I eat all healthy stuff. However, on days I have lost, my calories go up to around 1800 a day maybe even up to 2000 calories a day! I don't gain weight from it but I worry that I could in the future. Does anyone get hungry after they have weighed in and lost? I don't think it's psychological because my stomach burns and growls all day on these days. Thanks in advance for reading this, other mfpers!

Replies

• Greenwaterwhitesand
    Greenwaterwhitesand Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Also is there any benefit from eating ~600+ calories a couple times a month? I feel like my metabolism is working overtime :P
  • myweightloss2016
    myweightloss2016 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I'm new here! I have successfully finished my first week and lost 2lbs yay! The problem is that I have noticed in the past on diets and currently that whenever I wake up a lb lighter ( on the days my weight loss shows up on the scale) that my appetite goes through the roof! I'm short and tiny so I don't need many calories to maintain or lose. My weight loss diet is about 1200-1300 which feels like enough food for me and I'm never hungry because I eat all healthy stuff. However, on days I have lost, my calories go up to around 1800 a day maybe even up to 2000 calories a day! I don't gain weight from it but I worry that I could in the future. Does anyone get hungry after they have weighed in and lost? I don't think it's psychological because my stomach burns and growls all day on these days. Thanks in advance for reading this, other mfpers!

Try not weighing yourself for a week, and then see if you're hungry on certain days. After a week, you check if you have lost, and if you did and you didn't feel hungry, you know it psychological.. Listen to your body, if you did feel hungry then your body did need more than those 1200-1300
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    SO what you are saying is on weigh in day you happen to lose weight that was projected in MFP, and therefore you over eat? And this is because you are really hungry? .... um I hate to say it but I do believe this is all in the "mind"...

Plus it has only been a week .. what will happen if you don't loose a pound or two on weigh in day as projected? (some weeks you will loose and some week/weeks you may not)...... Will you still over eat because you are really hungry?

Make no sense... sorry.. just saying..
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I have days when I'm SUPER HUNGRY and days when I'm really not. I just eat when I feel I need to and try to keep the number of OVER EATING days roughly matching in number with the days of UNDER EATING. I don't find they match my scale activity so much as they match up with my hormonal cycles - being a girl and all that. They also sometimes match up with the weather. Super muggy days make me THIRSTY, so I end up drinking a bunch of water and being full, and then the next day I am RAVENOUS, so I eat back what I was short the day before in a nice, air-conditioned restaurant. Just be mindful of your trends, and try not to over-think things until you're stressed out. As long as you're losing at a safe pace, you're probably doing just fine.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    I suspect it's either psychological or, if you're weighing once a week, a day on which you would probably eat more anyway. I don't notice any change in my hunger--if anything, seeing results makes me more disciplined.
  • barbecuesauce
    Options
    Also is there any benefit from eating ~600+ calories a couple times a month? I feel like my metabolism is working overtime :P

Your metabolism is not "working overtime." That's not how this works. There is no benefit. It won't hurt you and if it really is only 1200 extra calories a month--you will not notice either a benefit or a slowdown from an additional 4.0666666666666666666666666666666667 calories a day.
  • Greenwaterwhitesand
    Greenwaterwhitesand Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Well I guess maybe it isn't normal to feel hungry after dieting and losing weight. Thanks guys! I definitely more than balance my "overeating" with under eating Elizabeth so I agree with you. Being active I tend to burn off the "extra calories". And to the last person yeah I know my metabolism isn't actually any faster but there are articles saying one day of overeating can trick the body into becoming temporarily more efficient so that is what I was referring to. I have noticed in the past if I am good all week or for two weeks and have one "bad" day that I don't gain much and then two days later I have a big drop in weight.. Like 1-2 lbs below my Lowest weight. That's why I was curious :smile:
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I get hungry the day after a hard workout

And a few days before my period

But not with actual weight loss...that is psychological

Don't understand the 600 question
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Well I guess maybe it isn't normal to feel hungry after dieting and losing weight. Thanks guys! I definitely more than balance my "overeating" with under eating Elizabeth so I agree with you. Being active I tend to burn off the "extra calories". And to the last person yeah I know my metabolism isn't actually any faster but there are articles saying one day of overeating can trick the body into becoming temporarily more efficient so that is what I was referring to. I have noticed in the past if I am good all week or for two weeks and have one "bad" day that I don't gain much and then two days later I have a big drop in weight.. Like 1-2 lbs below my Lowest weight. That's why I was curious :smile:

This is what we like to refer to as media bollox
  • barbecuesauce
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

This is what we like to refer to as media bollox

Yeah, it's probably just better if you take anything published in Women's Health etc. with a grain of salt. Sometimes I gain after a high-calorie day and sometimes I lose, but if you're primed to think you might lose, you'll remember those results more because they confirm your bias.