Feeling down

Options
I'm about 2 weeks in to my journey, and I've been pretty good about logging into mfp almost every day. I'm always under my calorie goal (but still above the minimum recommended amount) and have been trying to do SOMETHING active every day, even if it's just quick excersizes I can fit in between the rest of my schedule. Since starting though, I've gone from about 145 lbs to 152. I try to weigh myself at the same time every morning as soon as I get up. Is there a reason my weight is going UP, and should I change something? Thanks guys

Replies

• maggieobc
    maggieobc Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    My suggestion would be to keep doing what you're doing, but don't weigh yourself every day. Pick one day a week to weigh in on. Water, your cycle, and many other factors can change your weight day to day! Just drink lots of water, log food, and focus on how good it feels! ☺️
  • HappyWifeBeth
    HappyWifeBeth Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    That would definitely be discouraging, but try to focus on how much better you feel over what the scale says :) Stick with it! You're doing a great job so far :)
  • GettingFatFitter
    GettingFatFitter Posts: 2 Member
    Options
  • scottacular
    scottacular Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I'm about 2 weeks in to my journey, and I've been pretty good about logging into mfp almost every day. I'm always under my calorie goal (but still above the minimum recommended amount) and have been trying to do SOMETHING active every day, even if it's just quick excersizes I can fit in between the rest of my schedule. Since starting though, I've gone from about 145 lbs to 152. I try to weigh myself at the same time every morning as soon as I get up. Is there a reason my weight is going UP, and should I change something? Thanks guys

Do you mean you're always under your calorie goal when you log? Because you wouldn't know if you're always under your calorie goal when you aren't logging. Those days you aren't logging could be hurting your progress, people naturally have poor judgement when it comes to visually judging food intake. You either need to reasses your judgement or log everything, everyday. You can't out exercise your diet.

• blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    Sometimes the truth is kindness. If you've gained 7 pounds, then you are eating in a surplus not a deficit. This is the time to figure out where you are going wrong.

Buy a food scale, weigh and log everything.

Do cardio if you want, and if you do, only eat back 50% of your calories (if you are losing faster than expected after logging for a few weeks, then up the % you eat back). Lift weights and hit your protein goal to help maintain muscle mass while losing.

Cheat meals that take you over maintenance will sabotage your efforts. Log the cheat meals too (falls under the 'log everything' rule).

Eat anything you want in moderation, keeping in mind that your diet will be easier to stick with if you chose foods that make it easier to stay under your calories without feeling hungry.

Also it would be a good idea to read some of the best MFP posts:
    Calorie Counting 101
    Logging Accuracy, Consistency, & You're Probably Eating More Than You Think
    A Guide To Get You Started on Your Path To Sexy Pants
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options

Not sure how this applies to OP's situation. She needs to log, and log accurately.
  • JanetMMcC
    JanetMMcC Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Maggie's suggestions are good.

How much weight loss/week is your minimum recommended amount set for?

Wish I had a suggestion about why you're gaining. I take it you're eating less than you had been before starting MFP?