can running be bad for you like can it do you harm

Options
i want to do a c25k but am like 300 pounds and am very unfit dont walk more than 5 min a day -_- i was think if i did 4 weeks of 20 min bike riding and then start the c25k , the thing is im afraid of injurying my self . shoud i start after i lose more weight ? is it safe thanks

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    i want to do a c25k but am like 300 pounds and am very unfit dont walk more than 5 min a day -_- i was think if i did 4 weeks of 20 min bike riding and then start the c25k , the thing is im afraid of injurying my self . shoud i start after i lose more weight ? is it safe thanks

If it were me, I'd personally start off just walking, walking, and walking some more. not only because of weight, but because fitness takes time to build...even though it's called C25K, if you're truly a couch potato and lack any general fitness, it's not the best place to start IMO.

I'm a firm believer in taking things slow...baby steps and progression...more baby steps, more progression...taking things a day at a time.
  • fat_killer1
    fat_killer1 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    thanks for the reply B)
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I was about 200lbs when I used C25K, but had a reasonable level of stamina so was comfortable walking for long periods.

I'd suggest working up to being comfortable walking for 30 minutes before starting the programme, as it require 26 minutes on day one. Albeit with only 8 individual running periods of one minute each.

In terms of risk, it's safe at your weight, but in working up to it you have time to lose some weight.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I agree with walk, walk and walk some more... Start off with 5 minutes a day, and increase it each week...
  • noahsmomma
    noahsmomma Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It can be bad if you have previous issues. I was diagnosed with degenerative disc disease and had to stop running.

I would be cautious of your knees because of your weight. Maybe to walking/jogging intervals. Good luck!
  • dwolfe1985
    dwolfe1985 Posts: 100 Member
    Options

Personally i would avoid running being heavy (no offence intended) it's gonna put alot of stress on your joints i would go for just walking more, biking or swimming.
  • fat_killer1
    Options
    thanks for the help guys
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    I would be careful. Listen to your body as you safely increase you activity level.

It takes time to make great change.

Cardio Glide

It is low impact.

If your heart is able to handle the stress, read up on HIIT using a cardio glide

I started it months ago and it works. Bear in mind to actually run up to 90% of your max heart rate for 30 seconds 5-6 times in a short workout will make you fee like you were hit by a bus the first few workouts.

But it was key to getting me off a plateau after losing about 80 pounds.

Best wishes. Please proceed safely. If you over do things and get hurt, it will set you back much more.
  • SchweddyGirl
    SchweddyGirl Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with running and being heavy. I have many girls in my running group who are larger women and run with no problems. However, they started with a walking base before starting to run. I will suggest the same thing for you. Here is a C25K walking plan. I suggest you start here first. Then once you have completed this, move up in Jenny's program to Walk/Run, and then Run/Walk, etc...

http://www.jennyhadfield.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/5K_Walk.gif
  • t8tersalad
    t8tersalad Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I agree. My yourself a Fitbit and walk :)
  • beansandchips
    beansandchips Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    C25k....I'd give it a go, but bear in mind I'm inexperienced! It is a programme based on building up to running 5k over a period of weeks....8 minimum. Walking interspaced with short periods of running.... building up the running over the weeks..that is what I thought and found out about it...... I really want to try this too, but I do have some joint issues, but advised by a physio friend to do static and "moving" stretches pre and post the session.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Please proceed safely.

ie, ignore anyone suggesting that HIIT is either appropriate or useful in the circumstances.

Stick to simple, steady state work, build up capacity.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    I would be careful. Listen to your body as you safely increase you activity level.

It takes time to make great change.

Cardio Glide

It is low impact.

If your heart is able to handle the stress, read up on HIIT using a cardio glide

I started it months ago and it works. Bear in mind to actually run up to 90% of your max heart rate for 30 seconds 5-6 times in a short workout will make you fee like you were hit by a bus the first few workouts.

But it was key to getting me off a plateau after losing about 80 pounds.

Best wishes. Please proceed safely. If you over do things and get hurt, it will set you back much more.

The OP is worried that basic running might cause injury but you're seriously advocating HIIT?
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    Options

Ask your doctor first.
    One of my MFP friends started her weight loss at 381 pounds (one year ago today). Today she's lost 166 pounds. She did the C25K program with no issues. Today she ran in a 5k and her goal is to do a half marathon in October.
    So...unless you talk to your doctor about any health issues you have now, there's no reason you can't do this. Running is a fabulous way to burn calories...I just don't like it. Have you thought of swimming for cardio?
    No impact on your joints and it too is a super workout. I swim 3xs a week and have lost nearly 80 pounds.

Good luck on whatever path you take.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with running and being heavy. I have many girls in my running group who are larger women and run with no problems.

Running groups aren't representative samples of typical new runners. Many people drop of running due to injuries and therefore never join running groups. About 20% of new runners get injured, and the risk tends to be higher with obese people. I can dig up the studies if you want to see them.

OP - if you're going to try it, 1) go to a good running shoe store and have them choose shoes for you based on your gait, 2) have your running form assessed by a running coach/ physical therapist / personal trainer, and 3) if you get abnormal pains, stop running until you resolve the issue. :+1:
  • fat_killer1
    Options
    a lot of goood info there thanks guys o:)
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options

I started running last September at 255 pounds, however I was perfectly able to walk for hours at a time before hand. Can you walk for an hour in a park? Two? Without supreme difficulty? If so, then C25K might well be for you. If not, you should do walking and cycling first to build up capacity and speak to your doctor before hand.

Just as an example: I started at 255 and couldn't run 1km without stopping and wheezing frequently. I'd had pneumonia earlier in 2014 so lung function wasn't yet tip top. But I pushed through that and ran all winter, covering "only" a little more than 200km from September to December 31 2014. By the end of February I'd lost 50 pounds and frankly that first 50 was pretty easy. I'm down 68 pounds now and this month alone will have run more than 225km and next week will pass 1,000km since I started last fall, not to mention road cycling and other activities.

No injuries. Blood pressure down huge, heart function up, lung function up, I'm a whole new me. I'm a fit still fat but not obese guy now, well on my way to my end goal.

Do I like running? You bet. Will you? No idea - you might, you might not, but it's definitely worth a try.

Running per se is not responsible for all the positive changes but is certainly responsible for my improved fitness and for helping ensure I've got a solid calorie deficit to work with. Vigorous exercise - only as you are ready for it - ties in nicely with a weight loss through calorie restriction approach.

Good luck!

Mike
  • fat_killer1
    Options
    thanks mike :p
  • fat_killer1
    Options
    >:)