Would you count your job as a workout ?

Options
I am starting out in mechanics, and I've started in lube/tire... Mostly tires and we do a range from small 15/14" car tires to at least 2 sets of mud 20/30" truck tires... So I get a lot of activity in, so I'm super tired by bed, and exhausted before I wake up cause Im up in the middle of the night with my kids. Ages 2&4 so I've got energy sat sun(I don't work these) but your suppose to let the body rest... How would you try it? I love working out but working out takes time out of the day which I don't have much of to begin with for my husband and kids... I like my evenings with them, but idk maybe some better energy?

Replies

• hooltwl1957
    hooltwl1957 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    U are following the same path as my son, he did exactly what u are doing and now is a full mechanic. If I were u I would try to do at least a thirty minute walk,run or bike at least every other day. It's only thirty minutes. If u don't have the stamina yet start out doing what u can do even if it's 10 minutes and increase your time gradually. I wish u luck, I still have some weight to lose, so I'm biking every night using the map my ride app just for fun. Once again, good luck and stay motivated.
  • MistyBlue9
    MistyBlue9 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I would say yes, some every day activities count as a workout. I used to be a cleaner and i counted some of the hours i worked. My fitness pal agreed which was good.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Personally, I would change my activity level in settings to ACTIVE, and call it good.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    No.
    you should account for it in your activity level
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    When you're setting up your goals, you account for your daily activity (ie job). So I'd set it to active. But don't count it as a workout.
  • JanetMMcC
    JanetMMcC Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I agree with those who say set your activity level as "active." You also might get a pedometer and see how many steps it counts each day. If they're under 10,000, add enough of a walk (starting short) to gradually reach that level.
  • aDivingBelle
    aDivingBelle Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    This is exactly why you can set your activity level on MFP. Don't count your job as a workout unless you are an athlete for a job.
  • singingdispatch100
    singingdispatch100 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    First question-are you trying to gain, lose or maintain your current weight? Second is how long have you been doing this job? When you start a more physical job i would count it but as it becomes an everyday and consistant thing I would start trying to add other work outs where you can. Maybe find some active games that your kids can join in. Exercise is physical activities that go beyond your daily routine. playing tag is a good example or hide and seek or nerf wars.
    What ever you chose good luck and keep at it
  • ilovec4eva
    ilovec4eva Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    No your body will get accustomed to using the same muscle groups and after a while won't recognize it as exercise...you need to constantly change up and challenge your body in new ways to stay fit and healthy. This is not to say the family can't join in. Skip TV and go for a walk or swim or bike ride together you'll be glad u did.
  • TheTruthAtAnyCost
    TheTruthAtAnyCost Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Personally, I would change my activity level in settings to ACTIVE, and call it good.

This.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Well, it's certainly burning calories. Lifting a wheel onto that Spinny Thing Wot U Fit New Tyres Wiv (that's the technical term for the machines) takes energy and engages a few muscles in the process.

The problem is that it's over the course of a day so you could post that you did 8 hours of deadlifts but you're not going to do that many per hour. For that reason, I would also set my activity to "active" or "very active".
  • sperkins68
    sperkins68 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I dont count my job activity or house work as exercise i just set my activity level to how active i am.