I ran 2 miles in how long...?!

Options
I've always been a runner. Ever since I finished the mile in second place in my 2nd grade gym class (behind only a BOY), I've loved running. In middle school, I ran cross country and track. I medaled in cross country (a 2 mile race) with a 15:25 time (by best) and I ran my fastest mile in track at 7:02.
Then, I moved, and suddenly those sports weren't an option for me anymore.
When I started getting into shape at the beginning of this past summer, I was in the worst shape I've ever been. I was my heaviest yet at 184 and, worst of all --- I couldn't run. I didn't have the stamina to run for two miles straight. My mile time was down to 9:20 -- what it was in 2nd grade. A horrible time for me, considering I used to be able to run a 8 minute mile at the drop of a hat without really breaking a sweat.

But now, down 20-some lbs. late -- I can't seem to find my wall! This month, I've just been slashing my running times to bits. I ran 1-mile in 7:05 on my birthday, Feb 4th, down from 7:20. Then, not long after -- low and behold, I achieved a lifelong goal and ran a mile in under 7 minutes, at 6:52.

Then, I did two miles. I ran it last week at 15:30. A respectable time -- I was thrilled! Then, today at the gym -- I got in my two miles in EXACTLY 15 minutes. Unbelievable. I NEVER would have expected that!

A few days ago I ran three miles in 24:21 -- and I can't wait to slash that time down! I just keep getting faster and faster, and each time I finish I think, "Man, I feel like I could have run faster!"

A major victory for me. I haven't lost a pound in a few months, but I've been doing so well in other categories, I hardly care at all!

Replies

• christinehay78
    christinehay78 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! Well done !
  • Vtrembacki
    Vtrembacki Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Great job!!! I'm a runner too, but have been really out of shape lately. I used to run 5 miles with ease, but now its hard for me to run for 7 or 8 minutes straight. Let alone more..... but Ive just gotten back into it in the last few weeks as the weather has been getting better. I'm pretty proud of myself because twice now I've gone 6 miles total, but thats doing intervals- 3 min walk, 3 min run or 2 min walk, 4 min run. i'm planning on doing it again tomorrow morning. i cant wait until I can run a few miles without having to walk!
    So good job to you!!! I hope I can brag soon too!
  • poarche
    poarche Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    CONGRATS!
  • irunwithscissors
    irunwithscissors Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    That is great! Who knew you could beat your BEST time so soon! WOW!
  • poarche
    poarche Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Ok let me just say that you are awesome! How in the world are you doing that!?i can't seem to get any faster!
  • ImperfektAngel
    ImperfektAngel Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    So cool! I just got a Garmin 405 and hope to keep better track of my jogging. I'm extremely slow but hope to get faster with time. I am in better shape than i was in high school, so thats a big plus :)
  • rickydeuce
    rickydeuce Posts: 80
    Options
    Absolutely love my Garmin!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!